BP/W Overload!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is very little to service on a wing. If you get the kind that uses the generic inflators, you can service them or replace them for about what it costs to have someone else service them.

It can happen. Wings can develop small leaks due to manufacturing defects, stitching/seams can come apart, etc etc. Granted such problems are rare but if it happens you don't want to miss you wing for 2 months because you had to ship it back to Europe to get it fixed.

Case in point. Was it about 10 years ago that Halcyon had that inflator recall? The the poor slobs who bought Halcyon wings over here were screwed. It was either ship the wing to the US to get it fixed, or replace the inflator with ... I think most people used the generic one that Diverite uses. Too bad really, because many of those guys who bought the Halcyon wing really liked the bling-bling inflator.

So yeah.... rare, admittedly, but not unheard of.

R..

Look at wings carefully... one thing to look for in a single tank wing is the inflator hose elbow NOT being in the center of the wing. It will interfere with the valve & first stage (makers seem to follow doubles mentality on singles and its a PITA).

Doughnut versus horseshoe is hotly debated. Tobin George has some very convincing arguments why the bottom connection of the doughnut wing really doesn't do anything in most positions. I've dived both and cannot tell any difference.

Ditto... Tomato TomAto. Completely pointless discussion.

R..

Scuba Pro Wings in the US are crazy expensive. DSS, Dive Rite, Hollis, HOG, and a few others will not have you feeling like you just got shafted. For example wing prices are all over the place and you need to consider what kind of support you will get down the road. Price wise a few quick comparisons in the order I listed above for a 30-35lb wing.

ScubaPro - Leisure pro lists a 30 lb. Non standard inflator and dump valve - 384.00
DSS - Torus 35 - standard inflator and dump valve- 305.00
Dive Rite - standard inflator and dump valve Voyager EXP at Dive Gear Express - 280.00
Hollis - 38lb - standard inflator and dump valve 299.95 at DGE
HOG - 32lb - standard inflator and dump valve 245.00 at UDM Aquatics (yes me)

I have used all but the SP at one time or another. All work the same and do the same thing. Sent the OP my article on BPW for recreational diving. It's not rocket science and you have a lot of options.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

And I can only speak to the HOG as I sell them, but there is a 10 year warranty against pinch flats on HOG wings.

Did you check Technisches Tauchen Karlsruhe? If you have a car and if you are near Mannheim, it's not that far. Without traffic something like 30-40 minutes. They have some non-"H" stuff.

I saw that they offer a SS BP for 79 Euro, with harness for 99, and harness plus crotch strap for 114, DR Voyager for 239 (though probably not in their online shop, found the prices in one of those online market places where everyone can sell, if you know what I mean).

You can also look for prices in the UK or Italy, might be cheaper and you only pay shipping, no extra tax.

And if you or a friend heads to the US for a visit, you can bring back stuff up to 430 Euro total without paying tax.

Scuba Pro Wings in the US are crazy expensive. DSS, Dive Rite, Hollis, HOG, and a few others will not have you feeling like you just got shafted. For example wing prices are all over the place and you need to consider what kind of support you will get down the road. Price wise a few quick comparisons in the order I listed above for a 30-35lb wing.

ScubaPro - Leisure pro lists a 30 lb. Non standard inflator and dump valve - 384.00
DSS - Torus 35 - standard inflator and dump valve- 305.00
Dive Rite - standard inflator and dump valve Voyager EXP at Dive Gear Express - 280.00
Hollis - 38lb - standard inflator and dump valve 299.95 at DGE
HOG - 32lb - standard inflator and dump valve 245.00 at UDM Aquatics (yes me)

I have used all but the SP at one time or another. All work the same and do the same thing. Sent the OP my article on BPW for recreational diving. It's not rocket science and you have a lot of options.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

And I can only speak to the HOG as I sell them, but there is a 10 year warranty against pinch flats on HOG wings.

Jim, do you have a local price for the Aqualung wing?

Just FYI, the 30lb Halcyon ones run from about $650 to round-bout $900 in the Netherlands retail depending where you shop how well you can haggle. That's just the wing.
The Scubapro one would run you about $350, which is about the price you quoted.

If you go the Aqualung route you'd be looking at +/- $550-575 for the Wing, Backplate and Harness. At most stores, if you went in looking to buy that as part of a complete set then you'd be able to haggle the Aqualung kit at retail and tanks or a regulator for maybe 5% over the wholesale price.

R..

The only aqualung shop I know of nearby does not carry anything but jackets as far as aqualung goes. The local shops for the most part don't do tech style gear for recreational. I have been told I was the only one that kept basic 2 inch webbing in stock by a customer who said he called five other places looking for it and the only one who offered to thread his harness. One shop that used to be tech offered to sell him two weightbelts to sew together. The shop I certed through in the beginning would not even try to get me a plate and wing when I wanted to make the switch. No one else even had them. That was when I started buying on line.
No way you can haggle a deal like.that over here. We have minimum selling price for some brands. Have not caught up to europe in that respect yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

you can buy used tanks and resell them before you leave without any loss, just make sure they are filled and hydro is valid then drain them and have a look inside
valves are not very expensive so you could even double them up
no point in taking European tanks to USA, they are not DOT
as for wings, Hollis has a very good offer just now, even with taxes and shipping my new 40# wing cost me €140

Plates DO differ, in the quality of the stainless, the shape of the bend, the existence and placement of camband slots (if the plate doesn't have them, you will need an STA), and the existence and number of holes along the edge to attach things. They also differ in the finish work -- some plates will need inspection and deburring, if you don't want to replace the harness often.

This is something I can probably throw up on the drill press or milling machine to correct, right? Shouldn't be any real problems as long as I don't go crazy. Arguably, starting with less holes could potentially be better because I can put the holes and slots wherever I'd like...?

One thing I noticed when I was shopping was that BP/W setups are FAR easier to buy used than a traditional BC.

The ones I looked at were in far better shape; because of the simple design (a steel plate, some webbing/drings, and a bladder), the only real concern I found myself worrying about was the condition of the bladder. And even then, that was easy enough to test. I ended up with a used Halcyon rig with all the hardware in fantastic shape, except for the outer shell, for peanuts. I wrote Halcyon and they sent me a brand new one.

If you're looking to save money, it looks like the low-cost options out there are DiveRite or a used rig if the right deal drops in your lap. That's what I found, anyway. Best of luck with your hunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom