BP/W Overload!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a bigger problem I should have said is that cam band slots in conjunction with bolt holes (obviously single tank configurations) do not necessarily work with each other to line up between some manufacturers..... more the problem with the cam bands than the bolt pattern,
Ah, I understand what you were trying to say. And, yes, that is a problem, complicated by some manufacturer's wings having no slots at all. I just am not aware of a standard bolt hole spacing other than 11" O.C., hence my question. Thanks for the clarification.

This is something I can probably throw up on the drill press or milling machine to correct, right? Shouldn't be any real problems as long as I don't go crazy. Arguably, starting with less holes could potentially be better because I can put the holes and slots wherever I'd like...?

In the past people used to mount things to the plate itself. For example, a light canister. Now people tend not to mount items direct to the plate, for example mount the light canister on the webbing. The bolt holes are only important to mount a backplate pad and these holes are not uniform, so it is difficult to mount one make of pad on another make of plate because the bolt patterns are different. This can be partially fixed by using zip ties to secure the pad to the plate. If needed, to tidy up a plate you can use an inexpensive deburring tool or a file to smooth the slots. Alternatively you can use pieces of a bicycle tube over the webbing before threading to through the plate for additional abrasion protection.

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:39 PM ----------

Am I right to say that most wings will fit onto most backplates? Or are they proprietary (DSS to DSS, Halcyon to Halcyon, etc)?

To mount a singles wing to a plate the tank bands pass through the plate and the wing. The book screws (sex bolts) only serve to position the wing and are not absolutely necessary. Wings and plates can differ in the positioning of slots, so one brand of plate may not line up with another brand of wing. For example a Hollis wings does not line up cleanly with a HOG plate. However a Hollis wing will line up with an Apeks plate. Some wings such as HOG and Oxycheq have longer slots cut and can be used with virtually any plate.

If using a single tank adapter then all plates with a 11" bolt pattern will work with all wings with the same pattern. I have never seen a plate or wing with a different pattern but I am not in Europe either.

To the OP, I think you made a good purchase, can't really go wrong with that. BP/W is so customizable you will be tinkering as you go anyway, but that's the great thing about it. Enjoy.

I think so. From what I've been reading and seeing, this should keep me occupied for a while. I'm actually pretty excited about getting my profile more streamlined. I've already eliminated all of the crap from my BC pockets and started better distribute those items like my backup flashlight and trauma shears.

The next big challange is going to be figuring out my weight. I used to have 12# on my Mako belt and 12-16# in the BC depending on undergarments. Now, 6# of that BC ballast will now be backplate. So really I only have to find a place to put an additional 2-4# on each side. I'm assuming that it was taking a couple of pounds to sink my BD even when it was completely empty. That Ranger has a lot of material and padding built in.

How many guys here wear a weight belt with their BP/W set up? Or is all of your ballast integrated into your harness in the form of equipment and weight pouches? I've been wearing a Mako rubber belt with 12# under my BC. One, it helps to control my bubble in my dry suit, and two, I don't have to worry about accidentally releasing half or all of my ballast. Is this something I'm going to have to lose with my new set up?

I use a MAKO rubber belt with the pockets I carry from Pro Blue and XS Scuba with my plate and wing set ups. The weights in the pro blue I consider ditchable due to their location and that they use clips along with velcro so I mount them upside down. I keep all the pockets from sliding around with custom keepers I water jetted out of clear lexan. What suit and tanks I'm diving decides what pockets I use based on the amount of weight needed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I use a MAKO rubber belt with the pockets I carry from Pro Blue and XS Scuba with my plate and wing set ups. The weights in the pro blue I consider ditchable due to their location and that they use clips along with velcro so I mount them upside down. I keep all the pockets from sliding around with custom keepers I water jetted out of clear lexan. What suit and tanks I'm diving decides what pockets I use based on the amount of weight needed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cool. This is exactly what I was envisioning. I figured I'd keep my belt, combined with BP would make my non-ditchable, and then have a small pocket on each side of ditchable weight. I have some Halcyon pockets that I'd bought for trim weight pouches that should do perfectly. They're about 4x4" with a snap, and can be positioned facing down, should be large enough to accomodate up to 6# of soft weight on either side. When I'm not wearing the dry suit, I shouldn't need the belt, so then it'll just be a # or so on each side with the SS on my back. Perfect.

Last edited:
XS Scuba makes various weight pockets that work for cam bands and on the waist belt if you want to forgo the separate belt. There are even ones with pull tabs to allow "quick dumping". Not very expensive either. Lots of options....

Another option for weight maybe. I bought a pair of zeagle zip touch weight pockets, I like them on my rec/single bp/w setup when I'm diving 80s or dry. I put them on my rec/single bp/w setup and like the way they mount. they are ditchable and removable. See bottom link for a good pic on how they mount. they do put the weight on you mid section though, incase that is a bad thing for you.

Zip Touch Weight System - Backplate Accessories - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=30853

Last edited:
Just an update so as not to seem ingrateful. Wanted to let everyone here know I greatly appreciate the advice, opinions, and help. I've decided on a HOG SS backplate and 32# wing for single tank diving. Jim is hooking me up with a great deal once the backplates come off backorder.

Once I get back to the states I'll build a doubles rig. Thanks again, SB!

Nice choice... :) If you're anything like me, it won't be long before you have multiple set-ups. A BP/W is a versatile rig. I use one for minimalist kayak dives, deep doubles dives and everything in between. Stainless, aluminum and plastic backplates, I use them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom