BP/W or Jacket BCD, Which Is More Comfortable To Fly In?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONESPEED

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
With current baggage regulations and the looming addition of fees for carry on luggage the airlines have made dive gear choices all the more complicated. This thread has been formed to discuss personal preferences as to which BCD you find is most comfortable to wear while flying. As a BP/W devotee I find the new Halcyon padded travel package ideal....

Infinity_ACB_bl.jpg

The padding keeps the backplate from digging into your back on long flights and the backplate itself adds support you just can't get from a jacket BCD.

So what BCD do you prefer for long flights?

Last edited:
I would much prefer the Jacket BC so when the plane goes down it will keep me upright and in a more comfortable position while waiting for rescue.

The padding keeps the backplate from digging into your back on long flights and the backplate itself adds support you just can't get from a jacket BCD.

So what BCD do you prefer for long flights?
:rofl3: We must have been reading the same thread.

I am okay with either my backplate or my vest for flights up to eight hours. Anything longer than that and I put the tank in checked baggage, though. :D

I would much prefer the Jacket BC so when the plane goes down it will keep me upright and in a more comfortable position while waiting for rescue.

But aren't you afraid that the rescuers will call you a stroke, or worse give a better equipped diver rescue priorities?

My jacket BC has more padding than my BP/W. That being said it is more restricting. I wear the jacket BC for longer flights and the BP/W for the shorter ones. As an added bonus, I can fit more snacks into the jacket BC as well.

As an added bonus, I can fit more snacks into the jacket BC as well.

I've added weight pockets to mine for that very reason, I can fit a half of a Subway BMT in each pocket and the velcro enclosures make sandwich access effortless.

That's what overhead storage is for,----no??....

but no problem with other things, just wear them, all the time....

dl_k13_0157.jpg

Last edited:
I've added weight pockets to mine for that very reason, I can fit a half of a Subway BMT in each pocket and the velcro enclosures make sandwich access effortless.

I do much the same thing. On a related note, a snorkel makes an excellent straw for a Big Gulp.

But aren't you afraid that the rescuers will call you a stroke, or worse give a better equipped diver rescue priorities?

I'd be fine with them giving other divers a higher priority because I have an AIR II on my Jacket BC to save me if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom