BP/W or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, looking at your profile it seems like you want to take some GUE training, so I would opt for a bp&wing and a bottom timer. I dive Nitrox all the time as do a lot of other people I know and never use a Nitrox computer. Also, learning how easy it is to do this stuff in your head (it's not rocket science) is very liberating and gives you a lot of freedom. If you want to know a bit more about multilevel dives without a computer, please visit Uncle Pug's thread on the matter. However, the internet is probably the worst place to learn how to dive and should never be a substitute for proper training.

I would also ask for a DIR-F class for my birthday if I where you since that will help get you going in the direction it appears you would liek to go. If you would like a name of a GUE instructor in your area who teaches a DIR-F class, just PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Good luck,

ShakaZulu:
Who cares, call Hollywood Divers in LA, they will set you up with a BP/W at a cost that will allow you to buy the computor too...........have fun. Don't be too much in a hurry to drink from the kool-aid fountain.

On their website it looks like the standard prices, but I'll send them an email or call them, maybe they will deal a little more in person.

I was looking on the 5thD website, and their prices for normal stuff like WetNotes is crazy! Which led me to check the COVCI site, and brought back a conflict to my mind....'H' or Oxy?

Here's what I came up with doing a little checking...by building a BP/W using a FredT AL backplate and harness kit, and a 30# Oxy SS wing, the price would be $549. The 30# Eclipse full system is listed at $595.

Some of the differences I've noticed is by using a FredT or a Koplin plate I can get it in extra-long size. That sounds like a good thing to me (I'm 6'1), but is having a non-standard plate a possibly bad thing?

Kind of on a side note about pockets. I'm not quite ready to glue a pocket onto my wetsuit, so I was looking at the X-Pocket. It fits kind of like a drop-down holster, with a loop around the waist strap of the harness, and a larger strap around your thigh. How well do these work? In that pocket I would want to store a spool, DSMB, WetNotes, and shears.

thanks again...sorry if my questions are out of order and illogically worded.

teknitroxdiver:
On their website it looks like the standard prices, but I'll send them an email or call them, maybe they will deal a little more in person.

I was looking on the 5thD website, and their prices for normal stuff like WetNotes is crazy! Which led me to check the COVCI site, and brought back a conflict to my mind....'H' or Oxy?

Here's what I came up with doing a little checking...by building a BP/W using a FredT AL backplate and harness kit, and a 30# Oxy SS wing, the price would be $549. The 30# Eclipse full system is listed at $595.

Some of the differences I've noticed is by using a FredT or a Koplin plate I can get it in extra-long size. That sounds like a good thing to me (I'm 6'1), but is having a non-standard plate a possibly bad thing?

Kind of on a side note about pockets. I'm not quite ready to glue a pocket onto my wetsuit, so I was looking at the X-Pocket. It fits kind of like a drop-down holster, with a loop around the waist strap of the harness, and a larger strap around your thigh. How well do these work? In that pocket I would want to store a spool, DSMB, WetNotes, and shears.

thanks again...sorry if my questions are out of order and illogically worded.

A couple of things here. AG is 6'5" and wears a standard sized plate so going to a longer plate is really not necessary. Also, I'm 6' and I wear a standard plate so in my opinion there is not really any need for a longer plate...it's not going to accomplish anything.

I also would look at the X-Shorts as an option if you want pockets. I know several people who use them as opposed to glueing pockets on their suit and they seem to like them. Oh, and get some X-Notes since the wetnotes always end up falling apart.

I would also shop around for a bp&wing setup. Call Dolphin Scuba here in Sacramento and ask for Patrick. Dolphin carries Halcyon, Dive-Rite, OMS and OxyCheq and they are pretty competative. Personally, I'm partial to the Halcyon stuff and I think it's well made. However, I also know people who really like their OxyCheq stuff.

Get what you feel you would get more use out of. Do you have a functional BC that actually fits. One of the big problems I have seen is that there are a LOT of people with ill fitting BCs. If it fits then keep it for a while and get a computer that will help you to accomplish the types of dives that you want to do.

And yes I do own a BP/Wing

Jason B:
The BP/W will probably help with your trim thereby reducing drag and air consumption. Computer won't do that.
I see in your profile you plan on getting into trimix. I'd definitely hold on the computer as you will certainly want a different one at that point. The BP/W will still be good to go regardless of what gas you dive.
Jason

One problem with the wing.. he was shooting for a 30#, which is fine with a single steel tank. I dive with that exact setup right now. But if he's planning to use doubles (transitioning to tech?) he should realize he'll need a bigger wing (45-55#) for those.

I would sell that BC while it's still worth something and use its money to help pay for a BP&W. That $550 price seemed a little too steep for that setup - it's identical to wha tI just bought a couple months ago. $230 for the wing at COVCI, $75 for the finished plate, $65 STAs, $64 2x SuperCinch buckles (and I *HIGHLY* recommend those) and just buy a SS buckle, several yards of webbing, and pick up some toothed tri-glides and D-rings ($3 a pair -ReefScuba) to finish it out. That's less than $500 with shipping. I made the switch to the same BP&W setup you are looking at, and I loved it more than I knew I would. The SS hardware Fred throws in is OK, but if you go DIR, they don't look to kindly on Billy rings yet (or so I've heard) and Fred's D-rings are nice but square-edged (punched from high-grade SS sheet steel) as opposed to the smooth round of D-rings you usually see in the LDS. Flat metal rings lie flat and can make it difficult (with gloves) to pull them away from the webbing (the reason for bent D-rings).

Computers are continually being upgraded. Like most electronics, they get cheaper the longer you wait. Murphy's Law says the one computer you buy you will soon outgrow. :D

teknitroxdiver:

what you are interested in is the Eclipse MC System, includes wing BP/harness and SS single tank Adp. $595,, your price is $495+20 to ship. let me know, Bob

bob.kelley@worldnet.att.net

Well that is what he quoted me... :)

Paul in VT

$495 for the Eclipse? Wow, nice pricing. I'm guessing that's a quote from this Bob Kelley fellow that you wrote there? Sounds like a really good buy. What shop is Bob with?

thanks a bundle

teknitroxdiver:
$495 for the Eclipse? Wow, nice pricing. I'm guessing that's a quote from this Bob Kelley fellow that you wrote there? Sounds like a really good buy. What shop is Bob with?

thanks a bundle

I haven't a clue...I got a private message on this board about a set of Halcyon wings being auctioned on eBay, but the picture showed a whole rig, so I asked the question and this was his response :)

Paul in VT
OMS, Halcyon, Dive-Rite they are all about the same as I dive for a snow bank :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom