BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about those "personal observations" from millions of jacket users?

How do such observations apply to this thread?

Most Jacket BC users have used only jacket BC's.

The OP in this thread was comparing jackets to BP&W.

Can you please point me to the personal observations of millions of divers who have used both jackets and BP&W's and prefer jackets?

Tobin

Can you please point me to the personal observations of millions of divers who have used both jackets and BP&W's and prefer jackets?

Tobin

Nice try; you ought to sell Buicks. :rofl3:

Uhem... "I much prefer using my jacket BCD for certain dives than that of my BP/W."

Nice try; you ought to sell Buicks. :rofl3:

Uhem... "I much prefer using my jacket BCD for certain dives than that of my BP/W."

I'm happy for you.

So I can safely assume you cannot provide millions of divers who prefer jackets after using a BP&W.

Maybe 100,000?

Maybe 10,000?

Maybe 1,000?

Maybe 100?

Maybe 10?

Tobin

I have typed this three times now and have deleted it three times. Here goes:

I am disappointed with how this thread has gone. It had much potential.

Is it just me, or are people getting more irritable? Truly, I am likely one of them. Could it be SAD?

I'm happy for you.
So I can safely assume you cannot provide millions of divers who prefer jackets after using a BP&W.
Maybe .... ....
Maybe 10?
Tobin

I don't understand what the point is here (I didn't follow the argument). I find it likely that there are more people (who've tried both) who prefer bp/w than who prefer 'other'. But I didn't know anyone was arguing against that.

I have typed this three times now and have deleted it three times. Here goes:

I am disappointed with how this thread has gone. It had much potential.

Is it just me, or are people getting more irritable? Truly, I am likely one of them. Could it be SAD?

I agree.. It's all over this forum.. I always feel like I could have gotten such better information but it turned into a big argument over semantics, etc.. Even when they agree sometimes! I look at older posts while searching and it seems to have happened far less often before- we must just have a lot of angry/argumentative people on lately. :p

The idea behind the thread is that a Backplate and wing setup is a cool tool that can be used for diving. There are numerous cool tools out there. I like my BP/W for a big chunk of the diving I do, but it doesn't replace my Zeagle setup for warm water. Could I use the BP/W in warm water? Sure.

Strongly steering? Some sort of BP&W mind control:shocked2:?

What I see is divers reporting their success with a given style of gear.

How is that any different from your one anecdotal report that Jackets are better for warm water?

Many of my students read Scubaboard. As new divers with no experience with backplates and wings and very little experience with jacket style BCs. They read the threads in which BP/W proponents push the product pretty hard. Mind control? No. Confusing to new divers? Possibly. Most recreational divers will never even see a BP/W setup, but if you got all your info from Scubaboard threads you would think nearly everyone dives with BP/W.

A fair number of our customers dive cold water at home and travel to warm water. Routinely these folks find that with a 3mm wetsuit and al 80 all the ballast they need is a Stainless Steel back plate, harness and regulator. No weight belt, no weight pockets, just a very simple BP&W. How is this "inferior"?

Its heavy and its not as comfortable or as convenient. My Ranger fits like a glove, has streamlined excellent storage pockets, and ditchable weight pockets. How many of your customers get to trade back and forth to compare? On Wednesdays I teach 2 classes in a row. The first one in the Ranger/Brigade, the second one in the BP with 30 lb donut wing. I can't help it, but I like the Ranger better!

A SS BP with an AL 80 is too much weight for many people in 3mm suits or shorts and rash guards, and would make them negatively buoyant. They also would need training in diving with a balanced rig. Most people's training involves using ditchable weights. That can be overcome with a rigid plate made of aluminum or composite, but then they would need to add some weight pockets, which brings me back to just owning a BC that has it all built in.
My BP/W is not as comfortable, its heavier and unforgiving. I like both, but in warm water I like a my Ranger better.

Humm, My singles rigs and doubles rigs are adjusted differently. Why? Because a back plate fits the diver differently when using doubles. With doubles the cylinders are closer to the diver and in fact the lower edge of the back plate often does not contact the diver at all, because the cylinders first hit the diver in the butt. This not true with a single cylinder.

If you are struggling to don and doff I'd again suggest the rig is not ideally adjusted.

A properly sized and properly fit back plate is not uncomfortable for the vast majority of users.

Whatever. Its not uncomfortable. It just isn't as comfortable as my Ranger. So, I'm in the water everyday and have hundreds of dives with doubles and a single cylinder with a BP/W. If I still can't adjust my gear properly, how do you expect a new diver who purchased a BP/W online to do it? I'd be willing to bet that the online purchasers of a Zeagle Stilletto get it right the first time they use it.

Again, dive what ever you like. Recommend whatever you prefer, but know that your anecdotal experience is just that, anecdotal.

The fact remains that most divers are diving in warm water. That includes majority of DSS customers too.

If these divers routinely found their BP&W to be uncomfortable, and without advantage I'd hear about it, and it would be a common topic on all the dive forums.

Tobin

So the evidence is anecdotal. Show me a controlled scientific study on the comforts and advantages of a BP/W system over a Zeagle Ranger.

Here is another anecdotal story. My wife's family is from Northern Wisconsin so when visiting, I dive wrecks in Lake Superior. This summer, just as I was gearing up for a dive, I noticed a problem with one of the regs on my doubles. In the interest of being quick, I grabbed an AL80 and slapped my Ranger on it. The dive was in 70 ffw with bottom temps of 45 degrees and required a free descent and ascent.
During what was to become an outstanding and memorable dive, I completely forgot that I wasn't wearing my backplate until I reached for my light that is normally on my right shoulder strap and when it wasn't there remembered that I was wearing my Ranger and the light was in the right pocket.
I still believe that a backplate and wing in superior is Superior, but I'll take that Brigade or Stilletto to the Caribe.

Last edited:
Many of my students read Scubaboard. As new divers with no experience with backplates and wings and very little experience with jacket style BCs. They read the threads in which BP/W proponents push the product pretty hard. Mind control? No. Confusing to new divers? Possibly. Most recreational divers will never even see a BP/W setup, but if you got all your info from Scubaboard threads you would think nearly everyone dives with BP/W.

I bought a BP/W from DSS after my first 20 dives, a lot of research on the web and a lot of questions to Tobin which he patiently answered even though he may well have heard them 1000's of times before!

Its heavy and its not as comfortable or as convenient. My Ranger fits like a glove, has streamlined excellent storage pockets, and ditchable weight pockets. How many of your customers get to trade back and forth to compare? On Wednesdays I teach 2 classes in a row. The first one in the Ranger/Brigade, the second one in the BP with 30 lb donut wing. I can't help it, but I like the Ranger better!

This is YOUR opinion that you like a ranger better, I tried a fair few rental jacket bcd's and hated every one of them! They always ride up due to having no crotch strap and are generally uncomfortable in MY humble opinion YMMV...

A SS BP with an AL 80 is too much weight for many people in 3mm suits or shorts and rash guards, and would make them negatively buoyant. You generalise to much!! - I still need 6lb on a belt due to my size and bioprene in a full 3mm! I took a lot of time over many dives making sure my weighting was spot on at safety stop in each combination of tank and suit and noting them all down for future reference!!! They also would need training in diving with a balanced rig. Why??? I actually found the transition to BP/W effortless, it promotes you being in trim by the very nature that the weight is spread out over the most buoyany part of your body - your lungs - rather than dumpable weight pouches which concentrate all the weight at your hips. Most people's training involves using ditchable weights. That can be overcome with a rigid plate made of aluminum or composite, but then they would need to add some weight pockets, which brings me back to just owning a BC that has it all built in. Why do you need to ad weight pockets - 2 x 3lb lead weights on a belt is no great hardship for me!
My BP/W is not as comfortable, its heavier and unforgiving. I like both, but in warm water I like a my Ranger better.

I don't even notice mine when in the water which is when it counts

Whatever. Its not uncomfortable. It just isn't as comfortable as my Ranger. So, I'm in the water everyday and have hundreds of dives with doubles and a single cylinder with a BP/W. If I still can't adjust my gear properly, how do you expect a new diver who purchased a BP/W online to do it? I'd be willing to bet that the online purchasers of a Zeagle Stilletto get it right the first time they use it.

After reading 2 or 3 very good websites showing how to ajust a BP/W correctly (all sang the same song - just little different ways of showing it which aided understanding) and 1 hour in shallow water doffing, adjusting a little, donning again for a test - rinse then repeat until happy. Not hard really and great practice for how to get out of and back into one - then all was good

I am one of DSS's happy warm water customers that received excellent advice pre-sale, and further advice post sale. I love using a stainless plate as it means very little weight on a belt for me where I dive.

I expect people to be intelligent enough to make up there own minds about jacket versus BP/W as there are enough opportunities to research the subject on this site and others - the comments above are my personal experiences on the road to a BP/W and others mileage may vary!

PS. The wife trusted my research and loves her stainless BP/W rig in warm water - 3lb lead on a belt with an AL80!

Last edited:
I'm one of the few folks who has posted about having tried a BP/W and found it uncomfortable, thus I prefer my BC (Zeagle Zena). When I tried a BP/W, it was fitted by a tech friend of mine, and I didn't like it from beginning to end. After my dive, I told my friend what I didn't like about it, and he told me it might take a bunch of dives to "get used to it". My response was "why should I have to "get used to" a piece of gear when I have another one that I loved the first moment I put it on?" He thought about it and admitted that it seemed silly to "wait to adjust" to the BP/W when I loved my Zena.

Thus when people ask about BP/W vs another type of BC, I always encourage them to TRY before they buy. I tell them that there isn't one piece of gear that will be right for everyone and that the trick is to find what pieces of gear THEY like. I encourage them to only use other people's recommendations as recommendations to TRY, not buy.

I cite my experience of buying my first BC on a recommendation of another female diver, only to HATE it after one dive. After that, I got smart and began doing research, trying as many BCs as I could lay my hands on before finally choosing my current BC.

I agree with the OP, a BP/W is a tool that is a good choice, but it isn't the only choice and it isn't for everyone.

I am one of DSS's happy warm water customers that received excellent advice pre-sale, and further advice post sale. I love using a stainless plate as it means very little weight on a belt for me where I dive.

I expect people to be intelligent enough to make up there own minds about jacket versus BP/W as there are enough opportunities to research the subject on this site and others - the comments above are my personal experiences on the road to a BP/W and others mileage may vary!

PS. The wife trusted my research and loves her stainless BP/W rig in warm water - 3lb lead on a belt with an AL80!

I agree. People should be able to make up their own minds about which BC is better or if all BCs pale in comparison to BP/W, but if they are doing research on Scubaboard, they will find precious few discussions actually comparing both systems.

As to a few of your other points:

A balanced rig requires no ditchable weight. A diver without a drysuit will need to understand how to swim up with the sytem if the wing were to fail, and what proceedures to use on the surface if the wing could not be inflated.

My Ranger has a crotch strap. Its built to accommodate one.

You are critical of my opinion, but counter the aurgument with your opinion. That is fine because that is all we have.
In Salt water with a 3mm full suit, the SS BP/W is itself enough weight for me, so its a balanced rig. Same setup makes my wife negative.

I'm glad that the BP/W system works for you and your wife. It works for me too, but its a tool that I use in colder water, and the BC is a tool that I prefer in warmer water.

The idea behind the thread is that a Backplate and wing setup is a cool tool that can be used for diving. There are numerous cool tools out there. I like my BP/W for a big chunk of the diving I do, but it doesn't replace my Zeagle setup for warm water. Could I use the BP/W in warm water? Sure.
Divedoggie, ....The tool for the job concept does not work for me on this, because I have used vest BC's, Atpacks, horsecollars, no bc at all, pretty much every major style of BC, in thousands of dives, and I can categorically state that my Halcyon bp/wing ( either the 17 pound wing or the 27 pound lift wing) is superior in all coditions to any of the BC's that I have ever tried, in any and all conditions.
Point 1 ...
Comfort always SHOULD be higher for a bp/wing, because if the harness is "sized" and set up properly, the resulting fit on the diver is as if the entire system was MADE just for them...this is not a MASS MARKETED "average" body shape for large, or medium or small...this is absolute individualized fit.....the difference is often dramatic. However, this flexibility comes with a cost--the diver must be sized and fit properly. It is not hard to get close, just reading internet articles on fitting a harness to a diver....but to achieve the perfect fit, particularly for a person who has never worn one before ( with no past experience with a PERFECT FIT) it is improbable that they could achieve this --and they would not know that they had not attained a perfect fit, because in all liklihood, even a mediocre job of fitting the harness will be superior to the fit of a mass marketed BC on an individual without the body shape of the manufactured large, medium or small.

Point 2.
Forgetting the extreme comfort possible in the showroom with a properly fitted Harness and BP....the idea is that you are buying something that will be perfection underwater.
Underwater, the "surface comfort" of a typical vest bc or zeagle, or whatever mass market bc , comes at a price----the surface comfort, due to looseness and the way they just "hang" or sit on the diver gently, becomes a liability -- without the gravity on land, and with bouyancy effects underwater, the typical mass market bc starts to move around, and can not possibly support the tank in the same manner the bp/wing can.....you want the bp/wing to make the scuba tank seem as is it is actually a part of your body, like a real apendage, just like it is part of your back. There should be zero instability with the tank and bc system, but with typical vest bc's, when you move suddenly, there is play in the system, and ther tank will move separate from you--it will not allow you to feel as if it was part of your body.
If you were a freediver as well as a scuba diver, this concept would be big for you...a freediver glides through the water with far more control than most divers could ever imagine, partly because of the lower mass , but also partly because they have perfect trim. This is lost badly with most bc systems.

Point 3.
Perfect trim does not change from the cold water dive sites, to the tropical sites. You may care less about it on a dive at Grand Cayman, but I see no reason to push a "tool" that is harder to achieve perfect trim with, that will allow the tank to move around while diving, and will cause more drag due to it's shape and volume. A diver should always desire perfect trim and as little drag as possible....In a perfect world, a diver would feel like a neutrally bouyant freediver, that magically had air to breathe when underwater.

In south Florida, you see plenty of bp/wings on charter boats....where do you dive?

If the students or you are switching between a bp/wing that is not fitted PERFECTLY for them, they have COMPLETELY missed the point of using a system that has been INDIVIDUALIZED just for them--that fits perfectly. When they /you switch to a mass market bc, that is supposed to create a quick mediocre fit for most people, easily, SURE, this could seem like like the ranger is more comfortable..but the problem is mis-use of the bp/wing.

A SS BP with an AL 80 is too much weight for many people in 3mm suits or shorts and rash guards, and would make them negatively buoyant.
Which is why there are aluminum backplates for this.....
They also would need training in diving with a balanced rig. Most people's training involves using ditchable weights. That can be overcome with a rigid plate made of aluminum or composite, but then they would need to add some weight pockets, which brings me back to just owning a BC that has it all built in.
First, all new divers need training in attaining proper trim. Most need help on getting their weight needs balanced properly for this.
If the student was set up from inception as being neutral at the surface with a near empty tank, then they should not have a huge need for ditchable weight---assuming they are neutral for all practical purposes, the idea is to swim to the surface, and swim on the surface, not to be using an elevator for up and down, or to be unfit to be able to swim without a raft attached to the body. ...and a small amount of weight can be placed on a weight belt, if the whole ditchable idea is big for them....Part of the instructor's job is creating the composite between ther exposure suit issues and the bc or bp/wing solutions.
[/quote]

As we discussed earlier, it would be very cool to have an expert like Tobin, or someone like Jarrod Jablonski set you up to what they considered to be perfection, and then hear your take on all of this :)

REgards,
DanV

Back
Top Bottom