bp/w harness type and time of use

Since using a bp/w what system choices applies to you (min 30 dives in bp/w)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't care when underwater, and for single tanks will usually use a SS plate with Transplate I have a very broad chest and as such have problems getting in and out of the HOG harness. Padding isn't why I went for it, the chest strap was though. I don't use QR on there, but the extra length is needed for me to get in and out. If I could justify buying a Halcyon cinch system I probably would, but I still like my chest strap. Much more comfortable for me both in and out of the water.

Also has no need to adjust slide locks when changing exposure suits, which happens quite a bit for me.

I understand why you guys love your HOG harnesses, and have no problem with them. I still teach in one because that's what we have, but I have to use some flimsy webbing with no slide locks on the plate so I can slide in and out of it. I can barely get it off over my head if it's adjusted properly. Unfortunately a lot of the cave divers and what not don't have the problem I have with a 52" chest, so the 1 piece is fine for them

Can I ask why divers feel the need to opt for chest straps?

Most of the time I hear people complaining that they have difficulty getting out of their harnesses..... but then they need a chest strap?

Has anyone ever fallen out of a BP&W when diving??

I used one on my OMS IQ pack and thought it was very comfortable.....until I did a few dives in my webbing without it. Then realized the chest strap and the IQ pack were unnecessary.

Hmm can't really answer the poll.

Singles - Had them all, now dive just web on a DSS plate but added a buckle on the left rib area ALA old school backpack. Contemplating adding Halcyon shoulder pads though.

Doubles - Rarely dive these dinosaurs anymore but the harness is web.

CCR - Currently web, but just today looking at adding the Transplate Harness.

Sorry I don't fit in anyone's mold...

I felt as though I needed a chest strap at first -- I am very small-framed, and the shoulder straps were riding not in the hollow between my shoulder and neck, but over the ball of my humerus, and always felt as though they were going to slip off. But I ended up crossing my straps behind my neck, and that solved the problem.

I felt as though I needed a chest strap at first -- I am very small-framed, and the shoulder straps were riding not in the hollow between my shoulder and neck, but over the ball of my humerus, and always felt as though they were going to slip off. But I ended up crossing my straps behind my neck, and that solved the problem.

We do a lot of walking/hiking with our gear to the water and I find that this is helpful as well. Very few of our sites are less than 2-300 yards from the car to water.

I started out with the OMS IQ system which I liked (never used the chest strap) and then dived plain webing for a couple of years . For the last three years I have stayed with a plain webing with a single break on the left side which I find a good all round compromise.

Most of the time I hear people complaining that they have difficulty getting out of their harnesses..... but then they need a chest strap?

If you have your straps loosened up for easy doff and donn, the chest strap takes up the slack. I've done dives where I forgot to hook up the chest strap and didn't notice it. I've also felt my tank shift when I looked under a ledge because I didn't have my strap hooked, hooked up the strap and I was good to go. It's just a comfort issue.

I can't really get in the things either... Chest strap keeps the straps aligned like a backpack which is nice for walking around, which I do have to do quite a bit of and it doesn't cut circulation off to my arms. Other is that it allows the straps to be longer since it pulls the slack out which makes getting in and out of easier.

If it was just for diving comfort I'd use a HOG harness. The problem is the getting in and out of, and walking around part. With a big chest and shoulders, the straps cut circulation off to my arms *to the point where my arms actually get sluggish and lose flexibility*, and with the straps tightened to where they're snug, I can't get in and out, which for me is a bigger safety concern than having a "failure point" with a quick release. It takes me less than 10 seconds to get out of my Transplate and Nomad, but by the time I get shears out to cut a shoulder strap to get out of a HOG harness I'm over twice that. Valuable time if you don't have any air or get stuck somewhere. I've never seen a quick release fail either... They may have in the early days or on the poodle jackets, but I've never seen one from a plate harness break.

I chose that I started with a comfort-type harness and switched to plain webbing, since having switched from a Scubapro Knighthawk to my Halcyon cinch I'd say that I did just that. I've only noticed positive changes, even limited just to the harness. The custom fit is great - adjustability in a harness (as is common with comfort harnesses) really just means more variability and sliding around. On my cinch, I have triglides limiting the tightening effect - I just pull it as far as I can, and it's exactly the same every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom