BP/W for Young Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is another unique feature found on DSS harnesses.

I was happy with the softer webbing that we sourced to make crotch straps out of, with one exception. The "Butt" dring was hard to keep in place, the commercially available triglides, aka "keepers" would allow the butt dring to slide down the webbing. Not nice when you have a reel or two clipped off to this dring and you are trying to walk out of the water.

Our solution was to waterjet cut a custom keeper. The curved slots, heavier gauge material and the "tuned" width of the slots make allow this keeper to maintain the "Butt" dring where you put it, even with a load on it.

If would be cheaper and easier to just include the stamped ones everybody uses. Most of our buyers will never clip anything to the Butt dring, but some will and I want our users to have a better experience.

The DSS keeper is on top, and the familiar stamped keeper is below.
full

Tobin

Wow, I learned something.. when I first got a BP/W .or soon after... I got the dump ball stuck under something and the BC was venting. I put up a thread titled "I cut my balls off" on this forum.. It was up a while, but the moderators soon stepped in. I can see where a big fat cord would be less prone to tangling than a ball. In my experience, little stuff like that does matter. When you are diving... if it CAN happen, it WILL happen..

I, for some reason have never been able to locate the rear dump valve on my various BC's, so I always just use the inflator dump.. Some day, I will learn to swim backwards and dump from the rear like all the skilled tech divers do.

Wow, I learned something.. when I first got a BP/W .or soon after... I got the dump ball stuck under something and the BC was venting. I put up a thread titled "I cut my balls off" on this forum.. It was up a while, but the moderators soon stepped in. I can see where a big fat cord would be less prone to tangling than a ball. In my experience, little stuff like that does matter. When you are diving... if it CAN happen, it WILL happen..

I, for some reason have never been able to locate the rear dump valve on my various BC's, so I always just use the inflator dump.. Some day, I will learn to swim backwards and dump from the rear like all the skilled tech divers do.

For divers new to BP&W, or new to using the OPV to vent that are having trouble finding the cord I recommend adding a tiny bit of weight to the end of the cord. A large fishing split shot sinker works well. That makes the cord hang straight down. After a few dives, once the diver becomes accustomed to reaching for the OPV, and has the confidence they can find it and vent before things get out of hand they can remove the weight. The weight is "training wheels" helpful at first, but seldom required very long.

Tobin

One suggestion for locating the rear dump is to not attempt to grab the string; instead, grab for the OPV itself.

Slide your hand down the wing until you reach the OPV, then close your thumb and index finger around the string......it will be right there.

Once you have a grasp of the string, pull back as if you are reaching around to the small of your back.
When you are in trim, this motion will pull the OPV (up) to the highest point.

Think in terms of pulling the string up/to the small of your back, rather than outward from your side.

I find that this method works much better than just reaching down and trying to grasp for the string.
This is particularly helpful for anyone wearing thick gloves.
Even if you are not wearing gloves......sliding your hand down the wing and locating the OPV body should be a smooth way to find it.

I went home during lunch and asked my wife to take some pictures.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
MitchView media item 200107
View media item 200106
View media item 200108
View media item 200109

I like your split shot idea.
It seems like it would be a good training aid.
I will try it with my next class.
:cheers:

My daughter completed her AOW with her Dive Rite Backplate and wing this weekend. She loved the change from a jacket BCD to a wing. I have struggled with my Beuchat BCD since I got it (26 dives ago). I decided to buy Dive Rite BP/W after seeing it in action on my daughter.

I look forward to using in a couple of weeks.

GJS

awesome! let us know how you like it.
BPW makes so much sense to me.

Personally, I like the soft back plates over all. Dive Rite, Zeagle and Oxy Chec all make them. The are infinitely and more easily adjustable than a traditional back plate, easier to travel with and easier on new divers.

I personally can recommend Tobin @ DSS. My daughter started diving in the pool when she was 8. We needed to set her up with a system to train her for her OW course when she turned 10. My wife and I are instructors. We were diving with Bp/wings for a number of years after we both took the DIR F course. Tobin and I talked about the system before we decided which components we would get. That was 9.5 years ago. My daughter graduated to a standard (small) bp/wing system/ Long hose system when she turned 14. She transitioned from weight belt /7mm suit to Drysuit/weighted STA/weight pockets a couple of years ago. My daughter has been one of the many divers we have trained with Bp/wings. We did teach my daughter to use a standard jacket/ reg set up so she would feel comfortable with her skills on a rental rig. I would call Tobin and get his advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom