BP/W for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@drk5036 Do you know of any backplate po kets that work with the dgx backplate? Also should I get ss or al, generally with a jacket I use 12lbs of lead in salt water.

@drk5036 Do you know of any backplate po kets that work with the dgx backplate? Also should I get ss or al, generally with a jacket I use 12lbs of lead in salt water.
It depends how you feel about lugging it around for travel. If you used a SS backplate with a streamlined wing, you'll likely need almost no weight in salt water if you're not wearing anything thicker than a 3 mm. People generally think SS plates are better, but its more of a pain to carry via plane travel (basically, you'll have to check a bag).

Regarding pockets, it actually has nothing to do with the backplate, and only the harness. One of the nice thing about the BP/W design is that you can customize the BCD to your liking. If you use a single piece harness (like this: DGX Ultimate Hogarthian Harness ) you can add anything to it that fits on a 2 inch webbing. Any of the pockets on this page: BC Accessory Pockets | Dive Gear Express® should work!

If you're doing warm water diving, I'd recommend two smallish weight pockets, which you can add to the belt so that you can drop the weights if you have a problem, and when you feel comfortable with the setup you can move those to the cam bands near the tank which helps with trim. Honestly if you only have 2 or 3 pounds on a weight belt, the importance of "ditching" a weight belt isn't too important.

What do you want regular pockets for? Usually, people who dive with BP/W setups prefer to use boltsnaps to clip gear such as SMB's or flashlights to the D-rings on the harness, rather than using a pocket.

=tbn:ANd9GcSFZRVpzS87OkSZdkj9N6xlgff9C_-EQsnvnEg_OaI7Wp8_8C8FNYBCzk6r4wycjEj_-_jbrglt9w&usqp=CAc.png
XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket Black
$8.95
Leisure Pro
(43)
No tax

I use these on the waist strap @ the BP, that is, on the left side (for instance) between the BP and diver's left d-ring with an AL BP to get weight lower on body than SS BP. I use 2, 1 lb solid lead weights ( because its difficult to split 2 lb. weights, and unnecessary..... and dumb).

Oh yeah, membrane drysuit and heavy double fleece undergarment, gloves with wool liners, 2 pair of heavy wool socks, and 5 mil hood in winter. Temps to 47' max.

The XS pouches fit any standard BP harness. That's part of the beauty of a generic, non-proprietary, egalitarian system. I would despise them if I were a BCD manufacturer. Fortunately, there's nothing they can do about it.

XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket Black
$8.95
Leisure Pro
(43)
No tax

I use these on the waist strap @ the BP, that is, on the left side (for instance) between the BP and diver's left d-ring with an AL BP to get weight lower on body than SS BP. I use 2, 1 lb solid lead weights ( because its difficult to split 2 lb. weights, and unnecessary..... and dumb).

Oh yeah, membrane drysuit and heavy double fleece undergarment, gloves with wool liners, 2 pair of heavy wool socks, and 5 mil hood in winter. Temps to 47' max.
you only need 2 lbs and a SS BP with a drysuit?

Works when they are almost empty and neutrally buoyant too. Manifold and bands must weigh at least 5 lb.s? Also, this is in fresh water..... in salt water I would probably switch to SS. I forgot about salt water.....
YIKES....that's what I'm made of. I feel like a traitor....

People generally think SS plates are better, but its more of a pain to carry via plane travel (basically, you'll have to check a bag).

That's not really true about having to check a bag. I faced the same question about SS vs AL, and had some people tell me that I should go with AL and just add weight on site when I travel. But the difference is only 3-4 lbs between the two and I put my BP/W, regs, and other more personalized gear in a wheeled rollie on-board so I don't have to deal with lost/delayed baggage and I have less weight to add on my belt or whatever.

You'll never feel that weight rolling it around the airport and many airlines don't have a weight restriction on carryons, just dimensions.

There isn't a wrong or right answer here, just personal preference, and I've been very happy with mine to travel with SS .

Why would you want such a thing? If you're flat in the water the only dump you will be using is the one one the lower left hand side.

@stepfen Never used the right shoulder dump, only the lower one when horizontal or inflator when I'm vertical.

I am not saying right shoulder dump is a must - far from it. However after 80 or so dives using (rental) BCDs I got used to dive with my hands crossed on my chest. It is very comfy to me ( when I am not using a camera). That way, with a BCD, I could add and remove air by just moving few fingers - (the inflator was right next to my right hand and the right shoulder dump was next to my left hand).
Now with BPW I can't do that any more to dump air. I have to move the left hand either to extend the inflator or to grab the rear dump - but it's not a bid deal. I just need a bit of time to get used to it.
If you've never used the right shoulder dump, better for you. You won't miss it at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom