BP/W for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BaitBucket

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver, haven't been certified long, and am looking at getting my own gear. The backplate and wing looks like a really secure and modular system which interests me. Also it is the number one choice of DIR style divers and that is the style of diving I would like to do when I am older and can get a certification for that. I am currently only 14 but would like to get the BP/W and long hoses to start using now so when I am older i already have experience with the equipment. Most of the employees at my local shop say it is too advanced or it will be uncomfortable. My question to you guys is, would I want a more recreational style of BCD starting out or should I go straight for the BP/W to get comfortable with for later certifications? (sorry if this is in the wrong place or a repeated post as I am new to the forums)

Less bulk is good, modular is good, comfort is good enough, good for the long term as you change and learn. No more complicated than a standard B/C once adjusted. It will save you money in the long run if you continue diving, a standard B/C is fine but BP&W has some advantages.

I personally dislike the jacket style BCD's, i think its harder to achieve perfect trim while using them, especially because of the "faulty" weight belt set up which concentrates all of your weights on your waist. I also think they are uncomfortable and cumbersome.

The first BCD that I've purchased is a backplate + donut set up, which i find incredibly comfortable . wont replace it for the world.

I dont think you should be taking a long hose for the start, get the hang of of operating with a regular hose and with time and experience upgrade to a long hose, it can be a huge mess if someone does not know how to use it and a potential hazard.

I wore a standard BC in my OW class and got my Halcyon rig immediately afterwards. Setting it up was easy, and in a later attempt at Fundies, the only thing they did was move the chest D-rings a little higher. Go for it! (The most common error seems to be making the shoulder straps too tight. They don't need to be, the crotch strap is what locks everything down.)

My open water students learn in a BP/W from day 1. Far more options with a BP for comfort, weight placement, accessories etc. It’s a great way to start on the right fin.

There's nothing advanced about a bp/w, it's just a different configuration.

I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. I know I much prefer it to other options.

I’ve used a Scubapro knighthawk for a long time, just recently I switched to a backplate and wing. I love it and will never go back It’s very simple and even more comfortable because it’s way more secure and under water it does not slide around like my Scubapro BCD. I would totally recommend it to anyone.

also my girlfriend who only has 5 dives was sold a huge BCD from her local dive shop, what a ripoff she’s only 5’3” and the BCD looks bigger then her, she has problems with getting all the air out of it. When she saw my backplate and wing she said she wants to sell her brand new bcd and buy one just like mine.

Also I would hold off on the long hoses just get regular length ones. You can always just change the hose length later with your regulars. The long hose might be cumbersome and if your not used to it it might just become a pain.

I only do recreational diving and I use a 22” hose on a necklace as a backup and a 40” hose as my primary that comes out the bottom of my first stage LP port and under my arm and to my mouth on a 110 angle adapter. It’s awesome very streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom