BP/W for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the employees at my local shop say it is too advanced or it will be uncomfortable.

Since I saw your post I've been trying to figure out what they think is 'too advanced' about a BP/W setup, to understand what their reasoning might be. I finally have a theory; maybe they're talking about the greater knowledge base one needs to make a well-informed decision about just what to get in their setup?

That's not to say a 'regular' BCD is always 'easy' - jacket or back-inflate? Weight-integrated or not? Regular vs. 'travel' BCD? Would you prefer Zeagle's ripcord system for your integrated weight release, or the more common connectors?

Even though, I recently came to the forum (& a LDS) for help with the decision process to deciding on a BP/W, and it was substantial (Mulling over BP/W options).

But if this is the route you want to go, I don't see the point in buying a jacket BCD and being out hundreds of dollars, only to switch to BP/W later to do what you want to do.

Richard.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of going with the golem gear 35lb lift combo, anyone have any experience with this, do you need an sta?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of going with the golem gear 35lb lift combo, anyone have any experience with this, do you need an sta?

The DGX combo here (DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package) is only $299. About $50 cheaper than the Golem combo and you leave yourself some change to get accessories as well.

Some wings have a built-in STA, some don't. It's not a requirement to have one, but some may feel it's a good to have.

I started with a jacket style BCD. There wasn't a lot of choice in my area at the time. Years later more and more technical shops started appearing. Recreational divers were starting to use BP/W. The owner of the shop I worked at told me to avoid BP/W. They said they weren't good and I'd probably end up killing myself.

So I went to a different shop; a shop which sold BP/W configurations. I talked to them to get an understanding of BP/W. I realized having a shop which knew how to adjust and customize my BP/W setup made a significant difference. Bottom line, DO NOT buy a BP/W from your local shop. Additionally, get your training from a shop which uses BP/W for teaching. I had been diving for 10 years in a jacket style BCD. I was pretty comfortable in the water. So switching to BP/W wasn't that hard. But if I was trying to learn the basic skills from a shop which didn't like BP/W, I can see it going badly.

How cold of water are you usually diving? What kind of wetsuit? A 35 lbs wing is likely overkill for anything you’re going to be doing with single tanks. Smaller wings are more streamlined and much easier to get into a good trim with.

@BaitBucket,

Where are you located in Georgia? There are some really good folks there who could get you squared away.

The only thing I've fount missing from BPW is the right shoulder opv/air release that is operated with a string /knob on the right side of the chest in most bcds.
Not a big deal, and getting used to control your buoyancy (add or remove air to the wing) with always the same hand is good in the long term

The only thing I've fount missing from BPW is the right shoulder opv/air release that is operated with a string /knob on the right side of the chest in most bcds.
Not a big deal, and getting used to control your buoyancy (add or remove air to the wing) with always the same hand is good in the long term

Why would you want such a thing? If you're flat in the water the only dump you will be using is the one one the lower left hand side.

@drk5036 I will primarily be diving in tropics so 35lbs is overkill, I'm considering the dgx combo with the 25lb wing.
@wetb4igetinthewater I'm north of Atlanta, would love to be in contact with some of them.
@stepfen Never used the right shoulder dump, only the lower one when horizontal or inflator when I'm vertical.

I just bought a 23 pound wing from “vintage double hose” and an aluminum back plate and harness from DGX. Haven’t gotten it yet but it seems like a good option, maybe you’ll be interested in a similar set.
@drk5036 I will primarily be diving in tropics so 35lbs is overkill, I'm considering the dgx combo with the 25lb wing.
@wetb4igetinthewater I'm north of Atlanta, would love to be in contact with some of them.
@stepfen Never used the right shoulder dump, only the lower one when horizontal or inflator when I'm vertical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom