BP/W for my first purchase + weighting ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, with a SS BP and 12 lbs in my pockets it was a MFer to switch tanks on a 3 tank dive. That sucked. I definitely need a handle and maybe a aluminum backplate.

That's actually one of the reasons I still prefer a belt for some of the weight. A few pounds on the top tank band and a few on the belt makes the rig lighter.

Yeah, you need 3 hands to change tanks. I've a loop of paracord tied to the top of the plate, it passes for a handle and helps. A little.

I like this idea. I think I'll use it on my Xdeep BP/W

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/bp-w-lift-handle-xpost.603794

Why would you want an Aluminum back plate? It weighs even less? Also there are different weights of SS bp...the dive rite SS bp weighs 6 1/2 pounds and the OMS SS bp weighs 4#11oz....Also I went with OMS weight pockets as they are much easier to take out the weight to change the tank and put back in

Being that your new, I would get the bpw from a local shop that knows how to adjust them properly.

Being that your new, I would get the bpw from a local shop that knows how to adjust them properly.
Of the dozen or so shops in my area, only three would know how to do that.

If you can't sink at the safety stop with only a 2lb drop, then I would be triple checking you've got all the air out of your new wing. Get your butt up and use the hip dump and then left shoulder up and use the shoulder dump.

By the way, completely emptying the wing is a skill in and of itself. When you're in horizontal trim, it's easiest to dump from the valve near your left hip, rather than from the inflator. And sometimes there'll be a little bubble trapped not quite where the valve is, so you might need to jiggle around a bit to make it move to a valve. You can also reach back and feel the wing, it will feel pretty flat when you've dumped all that can be dumped.

So, there might be something to this. The reason I ended up with 12 lbs. was because on my first dive of the day I had 8 lbs to start but it was nearly impossible for me to sink in the first 15-20 ft of water. I had to swim down really hard. Once I was below that depth I seemed ok, then the safety stop was impossible to hold. I thought my wing was empty the whole time but maybe it wasn’t. I also think I should try going with steel 100s next time.

BTW, the only time I ever put air in my wing is at the end of the dive on the surface, and I only fill it maybe a 1/3rd. And to be honest half the time I forget to even do that, I just tread water. I was a competitive swimmer for a long time, I’m used to just treading.

Why would you want an Aluminum back plate? It weighs even less? Also there are different weights of SS bp...the dive rite SS bp weighs 6 1/2 pounds and the OMS SS bp weighs 4#11oz....Also I went with OMS weight pockets as they are much easier to take out the weight to change the tank and put back in

I would go with an AL BP if I went with a weight belt. It would make my rig easier to travel with and easier to handle switching tanks. My only concern would be that I need the dive shop at my destination to have the right weights for my belt. The place I was at this weekend only had the lead bags.

the gas in an AL80 weighs about 5 lbs, so if you're perfect when it's full, you'll be light when it's empty.
Specifically by 5 lbs, so just add that to whatever your full-tank weight was.

Swapping a plate with pockets loaded with lead will always be cumbersome.

Unless you have so.e kind of cinch system, your waistbands ⁷strap is not easy adjustable, especially when you are wearing it.

The boltable feature of your oms pockets was designed to integrate with oms plates. They may play well with other plates but it is hit/miss.

I just mad my plate adjustable by adding 2 mares xr sf2 loops to the inner waistband.slots and passing a short lenght of webbing through each of the outer waist band slots for my pockets and waist D-rings to mount to. The short webbing has a triglide weaved.on the end and passed through the slot from behind. The otherr end has half height D rings for keepers that the wiast strap of my harness passes through. This keeps the weight pockets and D rings in a fixed position while allowing me to have an adjustbale harness to swithc between wet and dry suit. Unfortunately I did not take photos while putting this together but here are some crappy shots that might help:
20210325_001213.jpg
20210325_001130.jpg
20210325_001024.jpg

-Z

One other tip since you opted fornthe neoprene shoulder pads:

They have tendency.to bunch up if just slid on the webbing. I resolved this by pushing about an inch or so through the top slot on each side of the plate. Since doing so, the neoprene pads have not bunched up nor have they moved a bit.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom