BP/W DM Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not teach one system and teach it right?

If that's all the instructor can handle - or all the instructor thinks the the student deserves - then I guess that's what will happen.

I was more concerned with handing my rig over to my dive buddy who doesn't dive bp/w long lose setup then with my skill level.
However, using the standard rig for the course with an unknown buddy does make sense. Thanks for the advice guys.

If said buddy is another DM candidate (that's what were talking about, right?), then I'd have some serious concerns about the individual, if I had to think twice about whether they could cope with being handed a BP/W.

Would that person be certified as a DM on the caveat that they must never supervise certified divers who weren't in an identical rig to them?

If that's all the instructor can handle - or all the instructor thinks the the student deserves - then I guess that's what will happen.

Hmm I think you've aimed at my point but missed it entirely.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2013 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quick analogy how many cars do you learn to drive in? Most people one, the only thing that varies is the level of instruction. Just because you learn in 5 different cars doesn't make you a better driver.

Just because you learn in 5 different cars doesn't make you a better driver.

Debatable.

It'd certainly help in the future, if/when you have to drive a different car than what you trained in.

Or if you had to assist another driver who drove that model car and was having difficulties with it.

Or if you had to drive a friend home, who had a different model of car.

i.e. You can learn to drive Auto and Manual.... or Auto or Manual. Which is the best course for all-round proficiency and competency?

If said buddy is another DM candidate (that's what were talking about, right?), then I'd have some serious concerns about the individual, if I had to think twice about whether they could cope with being handed a BP/W.

Would that person be certified as a DM on the caveat that they must never supervise certified divers who weren't in an identical rig to them?

I think Andy and Jim are on the money on this. I did my DM in jacket, B/W single, and BP/W doubles. I did the gear swap in BP/W single. I'm fairly confident we could have done it in doubles, but I happened to be diving a single tank that day. I honestly think that the different configuration made it more fun for everyone.

When I DM I dive my normal kit, which is doubles. Pre-dive brief always explains the details. The new divers are fascinated on the surface and unphased in the water.

And, the LDS can sell tech classes and tech equipment just as easily as basic kit. How will the LDS exploit this part of the market if they never expose their customers to this part of the sport?

If any basic open water skills become 'tricky' just because you're using a BP/W and/or long-hose... there's some significant skill deficit to overcome. Probably not right for the diver to be entering a DM course, rather than the BP/W.

Roger that. If you're in a DM course and you can't adapt to the situation, then you ain't ready.

Not every poodle jackets are the same either. Some; like the old Scubapro classic, is a true vest without any sort of shoulder buckles to ditch with. So what are you going to do?

Debatable.

It'd certainly help in the future, if/when you have to drive a different car than what you trained in.

Or if you had to assist another driver who drove that model car and was having difficulties with it.

Or if you had to drive a friend home, who had a different model of car.

i.e. You can learn to drive Auto and Manual.... or Auto or Manual. Which is the best course for all-round proficiency and competency?

Or learn the rules of the road, drive at a safe speed, indicate as necessary. All things you should do in any car.

The car I learned to drive in had power steering, my first car didn't. Did that make a major difference? No I still knew how to drive. Get in the car, adjust the seat and wing mirrors and of you go.

Bear in mind. I (used to) teach the course in BP/W and long hose.

The car I learned to drive in had power steering, my first car didn't. Did that make a major difference? No I still knew how to drive. Get in the car, adjust the seat and wing mirrors and of you go.

So... what you're saying is that minor functional differences are inconsequential, providing core training has provided you with the outline skills to recognize the need for a slightly adapted approach...and given you the capacity to adapt as necessary?

Just like the differences between jacket and BP/W or short hose and long hose regulators. Thanks for your support :D

So... what you're saying is that minor functional differences are inconsequential, providing core training has provided you with the outline skills to recognize the need for a slightly adapted approach...and given you the capacity to adapt as necessary?

Just like the differences between jacket and BP/W or short hose and long hose regulators. Thanks for your support :D

Didn't I say that two pages ago? :confused:

I was responding to RJPs practice of exposing multiple configs. Just do the job properly and you don't need to bring an arsenal of kit to your OW courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom