Bp/w Dirf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It looks like (if Turbo Tax is right) I will soon be buying a BP/W setup. I'm not DIR, but posting here 'cause I plan on taking the DIRF class in the future and want to be sure my BP/W setup in DIRF approved.
I am 6', 185#, dive dry, cold water, single tank rec diver. Here's what I'm looking at:

FredT BP SS long 17#
FredT STA 5#
FredT Harness Kit (incl. 6 yards of 2” heavy webbing, 2 ea. 45° Billy rings, 1 ea. 90° Billy ring, heavy keeper, light keeper, heavy D-ring, light D-ring and SST pin buckle).
FredT P weight 7#
Oxycheq single tank 45# wings

Is this EVERYTHING I'll need (in the BP/W area)? Will it be DIR? Good choice in the area on overall weight and wing lift? Any other opinions on the config?
Thanks

I gotta get off the baord but quick feedback:

Do not get the long BP, if you were 6'6" maybe, but I'm 6'1" and the normal BP is perfect.

Do not get the fixed rings.

I'd get a wing with less lift.

Assuming the BP, the STA and the P weight listed, you're probably be trimmed with too much weight forward, but that's a hard call, you just gotta try it.

Roak

17# Backplate? I think thats too much. Even if you need that much weight (it looks like you are trying to avoid the use of a weight belt?), it may cause you to have trim issues. It might be a better idea to get a 6# or 9# BP, and then use a weight belt for some of your lead. The 17# BP doesnt leave you with too many options, if you need to put lead elsewhere to solve trim issues. You will end up being overweighted... Yeah, ditto what Roakey said about the long plate.

Like Roakey said, DIR doesnt like the billy rings, so get standard drings and keepers. (Im not sure how big of a deal that is with DIR-F, but as I found out a little while ago, they arent DIR).

As far as the wing goes, the 45# wing should be fine. If you want a smaller sized wing, go with the signature series 30# wing, which has a slightly smaller footprint than the 45#. However, the 30# and 45# wing of the ORIGINAL series are the exact same footprint...

If you're ordering the oxycheq wing, just go ahead and order their harness, it will come with the regular D-rings, pre-bent and a soft crotch strap. It will save you some effort.

reubencahn:
If you're ordering the oxycheq wing, just go ahead and order their harness, it will come with the regular D-rings, pre-bent and a soft crotch strap. It will save you some effort.

I have the Koplin travel bp and the Halycon ss bp. I also like the Fred T bps.

If you've never worn a bp before, have someone help you customize your harness. Better yet, get the bp from a dealer and have him/her fit the harness to you. The web sites are good, but you will avoid a lot of frustration and lost time. Think of it as getting a custom suit. It's not hard, but there are a few subtle things that you need to do. Everything has it's place.

Specifically with the Oxycheq harness: Although the bp comes pre-rigged, you will need to take the harness apart to put on the bicycle tubing (for backup lights). You can simply tie bungie cord and be done, but I think that the bicycle tubing is worth the hassle. You will also need to add surgical tubing or bungie cord on the left shoulder to route the inflator hose through.

The Oxycheq harness also does not come with ss weight keepers that are placed on the waist webbing. Also not a big deal except that a trip to the LDS just for ss weightkeepers can be a pain in the butt.

Finally, you may need to punch a grommet or burn a hole in the harness. Again, not a big deal, but helpful if you can find someone who has done this before.

Incidently, the Halycon bp/harness which is prerigged already has all of these details done. You just need to customize the fit and cut the harness to size. New harnesses will stretch, so you'll need to make additional adjustments after a few dives.

Oxycheq sells the harness separately so you can still get the FredT bp. That's what I did. You can also use the bicycle tubing to protect the webbing from chafing where it goes through the plate. But the tubing is a pain at the lower points. Better to use the keepers there.

Rick Inman:
FredT BP SS long 17#
FredT STA 5#
FredT Harness Kit (incl. 6 yards of 2” heavy webbing, 2 ea. 45° Billy rings, 1 ea. 90° Billy ring, heavy keeper, light keeper, heavy D-ring, light D-ring and SST pin buckle).
FredT P weight 7#
Oxycheq single tank 45# wings

Is this EVERYTHING I'll need (in the BP/W area)? Will it be DIR? Good choice in the area on overall weight and wing lift? Any other opinions on the config?
Thanks

You don't need a long BP, the standard size will work for anyone. His BP weighs 17lbs? I have one and it weighs 6lbs.

Get normal D-rings instead of the billy rings. You might not need the p-weight...order if later if you find that you need it.

Not sure about the OxyCheq wings...haven't checked one out yet.

Rick Inman:
It looks like (if Turbo Tax is right) I will soon be buying a BP/W setup. I'm not DIR, but posting here 'cause I plan on taking the DIRF class in the future and want to be sure my BP/W setup in DIRF approved.
I am 6', 185#, dive dry, cold water, single tank rec diver. Here's what I'm looking at:

FredT BP SS long 17# just get a 6# SS plate in standard length
FredT STA 5# get a Halcyon wing and you won't need one
FredT Harness Kit (incl. 6 yards of 2” heavy webbing, 2 ea. 45° Billy rings, 1 ea. 90° Billy ring, heavy keeper, light keeper, heavy D-ring, light D-ring and SST pin buckle). no billy rings
FredT P weight 7# fine since you are using AL80s
Oxycheq single tank 45# wings better get the STA but don't buy a weighted one.

Thanks
Come over for some dives when you get it and I'll help you set it up.

Uncle Pug:
Come over for some dives when you get it and I'll help you set it up.

Oh, yeah! :hyper:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom