BP&W decision: DSS vs Hollis, online vs local

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnscuber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First, thank you all for the information and opinions I've read on SB on the BP&W topic so far.

Short story:
I'm comparing three single-tank BP&W purchasing options:
1. DSS setup ($570 with extra weight plates + shipping)
2. Hollis S38 wing setup through DRIS (about $570 with STA and trim weight pockets, free shipping)
3. Equivalent Hollis setup at LDS ($700+$50tax)... $130 more than others plus tax

Long story:
Currently I own my own equipment including a travel-style BCD. I've been renting larger-lift BCDs and drysuits for local diving. Now I own my own drysuit and its time for a BCD appropriate for local fresh, cold-water drysuit diving (Lake Superior). My dive buddy who is much more experienced uses a BP&W and we both dive single AL 80s.

My dive buddy recommends a DSS setup. I've read a lot of favorable posts on DSS and it looks like a fine system. However, I would prefer to buy from a LDS for possible future support. The shops here carry Dive Rite, Zeagle, Apex, Hollis and OxyCheq... however, they each essentially have one, maybe two actual wings in stock, so they seem pretty limited. Another alternative is ordering a Hollis setup through DRIS with the hope of having it serviced at one of the two local Hollis dealers -- not sure if that's even a rational concern/possibility.

So I'm wondering two things:
1. If I should abandon my LDS option -- $130 seems like a steep price to pay for possible future support.
2. DSS vs Hollis S38 opinions

Thanks a lot!

Have you asked if your LDS can get closer to the DRIS price?

Not yet... they e-mailed me the quote today. I'm planning to chat with them tomorrow about a possible package price... we'll see.

IMO Dive Rite's newest wings with superfabric are the best most durable and I like the oval hose as it bends the best and they have a nylon/cordura internal bladder. I have 3 DR wings and a nomad...so I really like DR stuff, maybe I'm a fan boy...

I think Tobins stuff is great and I use his compass mount and I like his SS spools and other bits... its just personal preference. I wish he made an AL plate as I dont care for kydex, and his fit and finish would be tops.

If you absolutely want no STA on the plate another option is golem gear's steam plate. Other cool plates are the freedom plate, and Titan gear makes a really well finished plate (likely the lightest AL plate made), but not great for a continuous harness setup.

If you want neat harness setups check out the manta/Highseas Millwork harness as they are cool if you want option other than the continuous. Dr makes one as well, but I dont think they are using their new pieces from their latest sidemount setups yet.

Lots of options.. soon you'll likely have a few in your stable...

I too recently went through the decision process for purchasing a new BP/W. I have a Dive Rite TransPlate but wanted to transition onto an Hog Stlye rig. After much deliberation similar to what the OP is sorting through, I was leaning towards the DDS set up. What sold me on the DDS was talking to Tobin on the phone before my purchase. He listened to my needs and wants, mixed in his solid knowledge on diving with a BP/W and can up with a good system for me. I am very big on customer service and I think Tobin and DDS provided excellent service...I could not be more happy with my support from DDS, Tobin and my BP/W.

I highly suggest you call Tobin before you make your final decision.

Personally I'd go the DSS, you will get all the support you might ever need from Tobin. Even if you buy a different brand set up from your LDS for reasons of "support" they will still likely need to return wing to manufacturer for any required repairs. I'd strongly recommend you make contact with Tobin, the owner of DSS if you havent already done so. The quality of his gear is awesome, well made and very well thought out, he will ensure you get exactly what you need Good luck.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

Oldbear, you pipped me at the post...

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

Remember also with the DSS that price includes the weight plates, a very nice addition if required. The price of the Hollis does not include any additional weight save the STA at about .5 kgs. Yes, I'd go the DSS.

I'd go DSS.

The weight plates and the STA-less design are big bonuses, as far as I'm concerned. The heavier plate and the closer tank will help you trim out better.

So I'm wondering two things:
1. If I should abandon my LDS option -- $130 seems like a steep price to pay for possible future support.
2. DSS vs Hollis S38 opinions

Thanks a lot!

1.) Supporting your LDS vs a more distant business is hard for me to say one way or another. Some business earn my support, others don't. Only you know about your LDS; I wouldn't pay an additional $130 just to support my LDS, however. Keep in mind that many of these "online" businesses are in a building somewhere. Many of them spend more than their fair share of time on forums providing advice. Just something to consider.

2.) The DSS rig with the weight plate would get my vote. The Hollis BC is nice, but I much prefer the Dee Sea Supply. I have a dive buddy that dives a Hollis, so I have checked it out plenty of times. One thing I don't like about it is the lower edge of the plate over laps the OPV a bit. Not too much of an issue or anything like that, because the wing edge isn't touching the plate while diving. It just seems like one of those things they should have noticed while developing the wing. Maybe it's already corrected in the current models, I couldn't say.

I own DSS rigs and always recommend them. Here's what I like about them:
I like the molded in rubber grommets on their plates, as well as the harness webbing. DSS webbing is about medium stiffness, their crotch strap is an even softer webbing. The Hollis webbing is very stiff. Stiffer than the other brands I have owned. My buddy changed his Hollis webbing to softer Halcyon stuff.

I like the DSS weight plates; they are a great way to add additional weight to the rig. Cam band weight pockets will work just fine, but the DSS weight plates are very nice.

The DSS STA-less design is something I like. I also own a Halcyon Eclipse 30 with a STA, and have previously owned a Dive Rite Venture rig, that also used a STA. I don't have a problem with STA's....they work very well. The DSS design is a great approach to making a rig that doesn't need one.

Correct length inflator hose, and the OPV that DSS uses on their wing is better than the OEM ones that everyone else uses.

I have two DSS rigs and three Halcyon rigs, all of my Halcyon wings have DSS OPVs on them.

Those are some of the reasons that I would recommend DSS.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
DSS, no doubt at all. And regardless of what wing you get, definitely spend the $20 for the DSS OPV. All my Halcyon wings and SMBs have them because they're great.

wow, thanks much for your opinions and info... I thought DSS was well liked, now I know. I'm going to try to call DSS today to get the scoop.

as skankpile mentioned, DSS does not make an AL plate. does anyone know if you can put a DSS wing on other manufacturer's AL plates for travel and warm-water diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom