BP&W decision: DSS vs Hollis, online vs local

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DSS SS backplate and a 30# horseshoe wing. Very happy with the product and the service.

Another happy DSS BPW customer. I am a new diver too, so I needed a lot of support. I really liked Tobin, even though he is not warm and fuzzy, he knows his stuff and provides great resources as well. As soon as Hubby is ready he is going to be calling DSS for his setup, too. I love the no STA, the option of weight plates and/or glide adapter (have niether but might someday), I also just love the ease of setup and tear down- although this a comparison more so to Zeagle and Halcyon - I hear Hollis is pretty easy, too. My Hubby is also tall and likes the option of the different plates sizes. Like I said, I'm a noob - but I would definitely recommend a call to Tobin. I wonder if I can get my LDS to start carrying DSS.... man that would be great!

Another happy DSS BPW customer. I am a new diver too, so I needed a lot of support. I really liked Tobin, even though he is not warm and fuzzy, he knows his stuff and provides great resources as well. As soon as Hubby is ready he is going to be calling DSS for his setup, too. I love the no STA, the option of weight plates and/or glide adapter (have niether but might someday), I also just love the ease of setup and tear down- although this a comparison more so to Zeagle and Halcyon - I hear Hollis is pretty easy, too. My Hubby is also tall and likes the option of the different plates sizes. Like I said, I'm a noob - but I would definitely recommend a call to Tobin. I wonder if I can get my LDS to start carrying DSS.... man that would be great!

In the Metro-Denver area the best LDS I have found for BP/W has been Flatirons. They are authorized dealers for ScubaPro, DiveRite, Halycon and maybe some others...the Store manager is a GUE instructor and seems to be more knowledgable tham most other dive shops...or at least their sales persons.

BTW...

Oldbear -Yes I actually visited there (and other shops locally, was OW and Nitrox with A1) early in the decision making process and they had Halcyon models on the floor. Nothing against H or Scubapro BPW, just kinda pricey for me personally, plus I prefer the way DSS attaches and detaches (no screws!). The folks their seemed really nice but did not actually approach me or talk to me about any of their rigs, nor did I try them on. That place has such a good vibe though. I have actually been eye balling their courses as eventually I would love to take the GUE fundamentals with them. Its nice to get a good recommendation! Thanks!

In the Denver area, others sell them as well, although they do not necessarily have them on display. In Boulder, Weavers can supply the Hollis line mentioned in the thread title. It also offers a PADI Distinctive Specialty called TecReational Diver, which has very similar instructional content as GUE Fundamentals, but without as strict a requirement for specific equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom