• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

BP/W banned in DM Course

Discussion in 'Going Pro' started by randytay, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DevonDiver

DevonDiver N/A

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Unless, subsequently, the injured party made a legal claim on the basis that their misfortune resulted from incorrect tuition...

2. hypertech

hypertech Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wait, I can make a claim based on incorrect tuition. I swear I must have paid too much for something!

3. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

No "unless". I simply disagree that this would be an issue in any litigation. Perhaps you could provide a suit where it was an issue.
    • As an instructor, I am still in complete control of the class.
    • It is up to me to point out any flaws in their presentation.
    • It is up to me to be sure that the students perform the skill in the correct manner.
    • Having someone else demonstrate a skill while I provide a running dialog can be useful if a student is missing a part of that skill.
    • Having someone practice a skill to the point of presentation quality is a good thing.
    • This practice is supported by the agencies I teach for.

Jim Lapenta likes this.
  4. DBailey

DBailey Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    Once again, it comes down to the agency. PADI allows the AI to make skill demonstrations under the direct supervision of an Instructor, but not the DM, let alone a DMC.

And I do view a non-certified demonstrator as a liability. It is a matter of preference and point of view.

5. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

We're going to have to agree to agree on this. :D Of course, that was my point after all.

6. knotical

knotical perpetual student

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The PADI IM says the AI can conduct (page 40) or present (page 150) initial skills.
    Such conducting or presenting can include using a DM (or DMC) as a training aid to demonstrate the skills. Otherwise why do we make sure DMCs can demonstrate?
    We checked this several years ago with a PADI rep, and he agreed with our interpretation. An AI or higher does the talking and evaluating, but others can demonstrate.

7. Peter Guy

Peter Guy Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    knotical -- Thank you for that interpretation -- I'm just going to accept it, otherwise, this would be another standards violation for me!

8. SubMariner

SubMariner C'est Moi ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Yup.

Also, who are you going to use when demonstrating skills that require TWO people, such as OOA, OOA Ascent, etc.? A student? :eek:

Thus, not only do they need to perform those skills well, they must be able to perform skills at DEMONSTRATION quality.

9. Ste Wart

Ste Wart Master Instructor

# of Dives:
    Don't have much choice with a 1 on 1 course.

10. DBailey

DBailey Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    I'll admit that at this point we are talking about each person's understanding of how it is written in the IM.

Actually, I take that back. I see in the DM course, it mentions demonstrating skills. My bad.