BP/W and tanks for a very small woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the same situation. Went to my LDS and they said problem to get a BP/W to fit me; mainly because of my shoulder width, which is around 17". I'd checked both Oxycheq and DSS sites, but there's no plate width indicated. I presume it's standard width. Another 'problem' is that I'm located in Australia and we don't have Oxycheq or DSS here to check out.
Would I have to get custom made plate?

Where are you measuring to get 17" across the shoulders? I just measured from the top of one of my shoulders to the other, and got 13". I have no problems with a medium plate, and I have them from three different manufacturers.

I'm 5'3 and I dive with a regular size plate. It is pushing it and it took a little adjustment but it worked for me. I think it all depends on how long your upper body is. Try them on and see what fits the best for you. Have fun. CB

I am in the same situation. Went to my LDS and they said problem to get a BP/W to fit me; mainly because of my shoulder width, which is around 17". I'd checked both Oxycheq and DSS sites, but there's no plate width indicated. I presume it's standard width. Another 'problem' is that I'm located in Australia and we don't have Oxycheq or DSS here to check out.
Would I have to get custom made plate?

Hi Silverlode,

I don't know where you are measuring to / from but I'm ~19" from "shoulder to shoulder" and another diver who uses our medium plate is about 18"

Remember that a wide range of divers use backplates. Unless your proportions are radically different from the majority of the diving population one of the 5 sizes of plates we produce is likely to fit you.

How tall are you?

Tobin

My husband measured me. I think it's 'corner' to 'corner' of shoulder, ie extreme edge? Just got my mom to measure and she said 14". So interesting.
I'm 5", short body. Base of neck to waist is 14" (ok that's hubby's measurement earlier today).
Yes, it would be nice to find a plate that fits. But the problem would be postage :(.

From the spinous process of C7 (the big lump on the base of the neck) to my waist is 15".

I have Tobin's small Kydex plate, and it's just a tiny bit short for me (which isn't a problem in a single tank setup at all). It might be perfect for you.

The really joyful thing about backplates with continuous harnesses is that, as long as you are diving a single tank, you have a ton of flexibility about how you arrange the harness to make everything fit best. You can lower the plate a bit and just tighten the crotch strap if you want the waist straps lower, or do the reverse if you want them higher. The only limitation is that you have to have enough length in the front to allow easy entry and exit from the harness.

Things become a bit more constrained with doubles, because of the need to keep the valves where you can reach them. But if you're just doing recreational diving, you have a lot of flexibility.

I love my backplate/harness setups. I can get a fit that makes the whole rig stable on my back, and works for ME.

I own plates from FredT and they are great but I will say it again, if I had to get another it would be from DSS. Plain and simple, tobin has helped many find the right plates. T

From the spinous process of C7 (the big lump on the base of the neck) to my waist is 15".

I have Tobin's small Kydex plate, and it's just a tiny bit short for me (which isn't a problem in a single tank setup at all). It might be perfect for you.

The really joyful thing about backplates with continuous harnesses is that, as long as you are diving a single tank, you have a ton of flexibility about how you arrange the harness to make everything fit best. You can lower the plate a bit and just tighten the crotch strap if you want the waist straps lower, or do the reverse if you want them higher. The only limitation is that you have to have enough length in the front to allow easy entry and exit from the harness.

Things become a bit more constrained with doubles, because of the need to keep the valves where you can reach them. But if you're just doing recreational diving, you have a lot of flexibility.

I love my backplate/harness setups. I can get a fit that makes the whole rig stable on my back, and works for ME.

Following your measurement of neck to waist, mom said it's 11" :rofl3:
Yes, I'm doing recreational diving at the moment, with a view to go into doubles in the future. This is going to be my first BC :). I did not like jacket style, and finding one that fit nicely would have been even more of a hassle. So I started looking at the Transpac and A-Pack Lite. I'd not dived with bp/w before, so I am not sure how I'd take to it and was thinking not to. But reading forums and looking at how the bp/w are put together make me wonder if that might be a better option, if I could find a plate my size; and I'm glad you ladies are here to help.

My husband measured me. I think it's 'corner' to 'corner' of shoulder, ie extreme edge? Just got my mom to measure and she said 14". So interesting.
I'm 5", short body. Base of neck to waist is 14" (ok that's hubby's measurement earlier today).
Yes, it would be nice to find a plate that fits. But the problem would be postage :(.

We ship goods worldwide everyday. Freights not cheap to Australia, but it's not as bad as you might imagine.

If you email me with the goods you are interested in I can get you a freight quote. I will need your ship to address. I might not be able to respond until Wednesday, given the holiday.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin.

I have absolutely no idea what I want yet :) Especially since I know naught about BP/W as yet. Will research more and let you know. Thanks Lots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom