BP/W and tanks for a very small woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the measurements you're coming up with, you'd probably do very well with a DSS small plate.

You're even smaller than I am (and I'm small), and I had a heck of a time even coming close with a standard BC. The one I ended up buying didn't really fit properly, and the tank was always slopping around on my back. The very first dive I ever did with a properly adjusted backplate and harness, I was completely sold. I've never looked back. I have put my BC on once, to try to do some gear testing in the pool, and I took it back off.

Especially if you think you might move up to doubles at some point, just bite the bullet and buy the stuff you can use long-term. You will have to cope with a weight belt or other weight system, because you're diving cold water. I use a weight belt and some weight on the cambands in pouches, and that works well for me. You'll also have to arrange storage for any safety gear you want to carry. I have pockets on my drysuit, and use X-shorts when I dive wet. You can buy pockets for the waistband of the harness as well. Some stuff can just be clipped off; an smb and spool, for example, can be put under your pressure gauge on your waist D-ring, or clipped off to the "stern" D-ring. Backup lights can be stored on the harness.

You might enjoy, if you haven't read it already, the essay on gear configuration HERE. You don't have to follow all the prescriptions, but it does go through the BP/W setup fairly thoroughly.

You're not 'small' in my book :). Yes, I'm having fun looking at BCs. From jacket to back inflated to transpac and now BP/W. All rather theoratical at the moment though. Have only dived in three different hired BC and a small Tranpac loan to me which was not properly adjusted. :) I like the feel of not having any material on the front.
One concern is how does the BP feel on 0.5mm? The gear configuration site you posted had some guys diving with the plate on bare skin and a female in bikini. Most interesting. I was wondering if there's a need to get padding...
I would prefer not to carry a weight belt if possible, probably get some weight pockets. It's should not be too difficult to distribute 10-13 pounds (4.5-6kg) on 7mm semi-dry; though if I get an AL plate, I might need a bit more weight?
Configuration would be interesting. I don't even know what stuff I would need to get other than plate and wing and pockets. Like, there are so many different type of harnesses and style and all the D-rings and cam strap etc etc etc. It would be frustrating to buy bits and pieces here and there and find out when I'd put everything together that I'm missing parts!!
That's the beauty of a 'normal' jacket BC... all there; don't have to think, don't have to assemble... but won't fit. hehe.

Silverload ...
As you have seen, Tobin at Deep Sea Supply (cool hardware52) is very helpful and you can trust his suggestions
.5mm? ... maybe the Pro-Fit harness, or maybe a custom hog harness made from the soft edge webbing, or just some slip on neoprene pads on the regular one ..

A Back Plate & Wing is probably the most flexable piece of gear you could get .. it will grow with you as your diving evolves, no matter where that evolution takes you in the future

It looks complicated, but in fact, if you buy a complete setup (like the DSS one), you'll get all the D-rings and triglides and everything you need to put it together, as well as an instruction sheet. It's not rocket science. The first time I did one, it took a little while, because I forgot some stuff and had to take it apart to add the things I hadn't done, but nowadays, it probably takes me less than ten minutes to assemble a harness.

It does help if you have access to somebody who's used one to help you with the fitting. If you don't know anybody who uses a bp/w, I may be able to put you in touch with someone in Melbourne who I know does. It might help you to be able to see the equipment, too, and how it all works when it's put together.

Thanks guys and gals. I'm still looking and researching :) Reading more posts from here as well. A beauty of BP/W is the flexibility to mix and match parts; which is easily done by the experienced. For me, I wonder if I might end up forgetting to order a bolt/screw of whateverthingmagigy. But I do like different stuff from different manufacturers.

So the discomfort might be more weight of strap pulling on the shoulder area rather than the backplate on the back if I dive 0.5mm?

My backplate doesn't dig into my back at all. I use a DSS setup for a single tank, so I don't have any bolts or wing nuts to deal with. I haven't tried diving with a skin, but with a 3 mil suit, I've hiked a quarter mile to the water and I was surprised at how comfortable it was.

I'm also looking at getting a new BC. I have HP Steel 80s (which I love!!) and my current BC does not give me enough lift, plus some other issues. I'm 5' 1/2" tall and weigh 97lbs. Ok, now the world knows. :11:

I know a lot of divers love their bp/w, but I'm not sure if that is for me. A big issue is the cost. Comfort is another issue - I live is SE Florida and do a lot of nekkid diving (not naked, but nekkid - meaning without a wetsuit) so I think the jacket style would be more comfortable. (I may be wrong since I've never tried a bp/w.) There are also some features that I would like - I want an intergrated weight system and pockets. I would also like a shoulder pull cord, if possible.

I've checked around for a jacket style and so far I've been told that the only one that would really fit me would be the Oceanic Hera. I have not had a chance to try on the BC yet.

I could really use some advice. Thanks!!!

MaryAnn

I'm also looking at getting a new BC. I have HP Steel 80s (which I love!!) and my current BC does not give me enough lift, plus some other issues. I'm 5' 1/2" tall and weigh 97lbs. Ok, now the world knows. :11:

I know a lot of divers love their bp/w, but I'm not sure if that is for me. A big issue is the cost. Comfort is another issue - I live is SE Florida and do a lot of nekkid diving (not naked, but nekkid - meaning without a wetsuit) so I think the jacket style would be more comfortable. (I may be wrong since I've never tried a bp/w.) There are also some features that I would like - I want an intergrated weight system and pockets. I would also like a shoulder pull cord, if possible.

I've checked around for a jacket style and so far I've been told that the only one that would really fit me would be the Oceanic Hera. I have not had a chance to try on the BC yet.

I could really use some advice. Thanks!!!

MaryAnn

MaryAnn,

If you are diving with no exposure suit, and using a HP80 you could be overweighted.

Depending on manufacturer HP 80's range from about -3 to about -7 lbs empty.

Add a regulator (~-2) and you might have as much as 9 lbs of ballast between your tank and reg. In just a swimsuit you should need much less.

Any BC needs to meet two criteria;

1) Have enough lift to float your rig a the surface without you in it, when it's at it's heaviest, i.e full tank

2) Have enough lift to compensate for the maximum change in buoyancy of your exposure suit. Obviously if diving "nekkid" you have no suit to compress.

Your current set up might be as much as -15 with a full tank, but that's should easily be within the capacity of virtually every bc made. It's pretty unusual to find a BC with less than about 25 lbs of lift. It concerns me that you mention your current bc provides inadequate lift.

If you wish to continue using your HP80 tanks I'd suggest a lightweight back plate. We offer hybrid kydex (polymer) and SS plate that are only very slightly negative. You should need a small wing. Our LCD 20 would be might first suggestion.

Better would be a less negative tank. For diving without exposure protection you may want to consider an AL80. These tanks are +4 lbs empty vs the -3 to -7 of the various HP80's. This will allow you avoid being overweighted.

Tobin

I dove my BP/W in the Keys with just a t-shirt with no ill effects. I've had it on my bare skin to make adjustments from time to time and the only real problem was the temp of the metal. If you're just doing a single tank, you may want to use a dive skin for very long dives.

My wife is 5'11" and if she hadn't found the Zeagle Scout that fit her moderate diving needs, I probably would have got a backplate and wing for her due to the ease of tailoring it to an individual's unique sizes/shapes.

Tobin,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am overweighted. (Not dangerously so, I can kick to the surface without air in the bc.) That has been a concern, so if the seas aren't calm I wear a shorty 3ml wetsuit for added bouyancy. This is the main reason why I am going to get a replacement. My bc is a Dacor Elite xs, which has a whopping lift of 8lbs. I bought it when I first started diving and didn't have my tanks (or know better). My lds owner was a great salesman too.

I really like my HP80 tanks for the small size (size of an AL63). The AL80 are really too long. Since I really need a new bc anyway, I don't want to replace two tanks also.

I still have the issues concerning the bp/w vs jacket. Can the bp/w have all the features I want? If it can, will it be cost prohibited?

MaryAnn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom