BP/W and tanks for a very small woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Pete,

I hope you had a great New Year!

The problem with the ST80 is my current bc only has 8lb of lift. That's why I'm in need of another. I do need weight when I get chilly - like yesterday when I used my 5mil.

Since I never used a wing and have not seen many I did not know they don't come with shoulder pulls or integrated weights. This was my first inquiry into using a bp/w.

I don't know if Tobin's lack of answering my questions was a gender thing - it just felt like that to me. I asked the same questions a couple of times - no answer. Walter asked - flood of info.

The main issue is - I'm looking at replacing my bc. Either with a bp/w or a jacket. I was in this thread to get other women my size views on the bp/w. Since I don't have any experience with bp/w I had the following issues - Cost and features. What I like about my current bc - weight integration, pockets and shoulder pull dump. That's all. How it got to be about a vendor - I don't know.

MaryAnn
I also like weight integration, but that's not to be had with a BP and Wings. Unlike you, I don't have a defined waist, so weight belts slip off of me in a heartbeat and always when I least expect it. My solution, as I do love my DSS set up, was to get the DUI weight harness from ScubaToys. I now actually use my Kydex backplate more (less total weight) when I dive sans wet suit, and then I wear my harness and a few pounds when I dive salt water.

BTW, how do you feel about the AL63 tanks? They will lighten you up considerably.

BTW #2... Walter and I had a blast at Weeki Wachee this past New Years Eve! I played music into the Spring and he got to do the Hokey Pokey under water! :D It was a magical evening though I did not get the chance to dive. I hope yours was just as fun!!!

The problem with the ST80 is my current bc only has 8lb of lift. That's why I'm in need of another. I do need weight when I get chilly - like yesterday when I used my 5mil.

A higher lift BC, any BC, is not the right answer to being over weighted. If your reg and tank alone, i.e. no other ballast, results in you being overweighted, then I'd recommend some of the same cures you have referenced, adding some neo, or selecting gear that is less negative. For you that pretty much leaves only the tank.

Prior to this post I have not seen you reference anything other than a 3mm shorty. BC lift need to be calculated with your most buoyant exposure suit, heavier suits need higher lift BC's. OTOH the negative buoyancy of your rig needs to be considered against your LEAST buoyant exposure suit.

If you are lucky enough to be able to dive sans neo, then your rig needs to provide very little negative buoyancy. It's relatively easy to add ballast, much harder to make a rig lighter. In any event even with a 5mm suit, somebody your size won't need much.

Regarding tank length. Position plays a part. Take a trip to any popular dive site and you will see tanks mounted so low that the reg is in between the shoulder blades and the bottom of the tank is at the knees. Moving any tank up to where the valve / reg is behind the neck will easily offset the less than 6 inch difference between a typical al 80 and typical hp 80. It makes no difference to me if you prefer a short tank, or not. I have seen quite a few petite people use an al 80 without apparent problems.

What I like about my current bc - weight integration, pockets and shoulder pull dump. That's all.

If these are your key criteria, then I would suggest that a BP&W is not the best way to achieve your goals. I'm not of the belief that a BP&W is the one universal solution for all divers. I am of the opinion that the benefits of a BP&W are sufficient to warrant a close examination of the perceived short comings. Most are easily addressed with small changes in technique or setup.

I will admit that I see the "lack" of a pull dump on a wing as a positive, and forgive me, so trivial, after a couple dives that few divers miss them. Same with pockets. Most of what is carried in pockets can be clipped off. Both of these require slight change in the way you currently rig your gear.

I am curious why, given that you need so little weight, why weight integration is a key requirement?

I'll admit that I've never seen or heard of a BC with 8 lbs of lift and integrated weights. How much weight can you add to this 8 lbs lift bc?

How it got to be about a vendor - I don't know.

MaryAnn

Beats me too, but I'm sure Walter has the answer.....

Tobin

Walter, you really crack me up. I love all of your posts.

That being said, I have and use the DSS back plate. When we speak of integrated weights, on this slight woman, with no exposure suit, the plate would probably be considered integrated as you would not need more weight. In fact, as Tobin pointed out, with the other gear, you may be overweighted. I use DSS plate weights. The downside to this is that you no longer have any ditchable weight. But the rig is very easy to swim up empty.

As far as being short, I am 5'1". I do use AL80's and they do hit me on the head. I've gotten used to it. I don't want to spend $$ for AL63s. Carrying them by hand is difficult for the reason Walter mentioned: I have to have my arms bent. I look at it like weight training. AL63s would not pose this problem.

Pockets: BP/W do not have pockets. I sometimes miss that. There are other solutions to that out there. Some mfg sell add-on pockets to slip onto the webbing. I got a very small one. There is something called XShorts out there. If you use exposure protection, you can glue pockets to the suit on the thigh area.

What I do not miss is my poorly fitting jacket BC. I sold it and sort of feel guilty about it. It trapped air in the shoulders. With a BP/W, you can adjust it to fit just right. And it can grow or shrink with you, if you are inclined that way. Tobin helped me with the sizing of the plate and lift needed for the wing. I found him very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom