BP questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been reading all the posts I can about backplates and back inflate BCDs (specifically the Transpac II). I have also talked with people locally about their gear configurations and I have a couple questions:

1. I was told that if you dive a backplate on a regular basis the metal will cause more abrasion on a drysuit than a softpac such as the Transpac. Do you find this true in your experiences? Is this really an issue?

2. The other comment that has been made is that the webbing only harness used on a backplate can cause blood circulation restrictions under the straps which could lead to localized DCS where as a padded shoulder strap spreads out the load more reducing the chance of DCS. Thoughts?

3. I have seen padded covers for a webbing harness does anyone have any input on the covers? Are they worth the money? Who sells the pads?

Thank you for any and all input.

ID diver:
I have been reading all the posts I can about backplates and back inflate BCDs (specifically the Transpac II). I have also talked with people locally about their gear configurations and I have a couple questions:

1. I was told that if you dive a backplate on a regular basis the metal will cause more abrasion on a drysuit than a softpac such as the Transpac. Do you find this true in your experiences? Is this really an issue?

2. The other comment that has been made is that the webbing only harness used on a backplate can cause blood circulation restrictions under the straps which could lead to localized DCS where as a padded shoulder strap spreads out the load more reducing the chance of DCS. Thoughts?

3. I have seen padded covers for a webbing harness does anyone have any input on the covers? Are they worth the money? Who sells the pads?

Thank you for any and all input.

1.not an issue.
2. nonsense
3. OMS and ABYSS sell pads. Dive rite used to make a tube out of neoprene. The cushion is nice on shore if you are wearing a t-shirt. Your exposure protection provides a cushion of sorts. Don't think they make much difference in the water.

It sounds like your LDS is trying to sell you something they carry and are feeding you a line of bull!

As far as the abrasion issue, kneeling on the bottom, dragging your knees, et cetera will cause far more abrasion (because of poor buoyancy skills) than any back plate will. If you have sharp edges on your back plate, they can be filed down.

Number two is just plain bunk! I am a member of DAN and I have never seen any reports anywhere supporting this bunk! Please have them share their scientific source on this and I will certainly rethink my stand. Again, it sounds like they are trying to provide a solution to a non-existing problem!

I used to dive a soft pack and went to a BP/wing and have dived it with just a lycra skin and was very comfortable in the water with the straps. No abrasions or constrictions.

As far as this is the DIR forum, none of the above listed items are DIR approved except for the continuous one-piece 2" harness and metal back plate mounted to the appropriate sized wing. And add-ons or changes to this core system are strictly a non-DIR configuration.

However, if you feel it is the right way for you to dive, then you are free to do so. But if you decide to switch to a DIR configuration in the future or decide to take the DIR Fundamentals class, then you may end up having to make many (and costly) changes to your configuration to have a DIR configuration.

There is some great information and videos on the DIR philosophy (and there are many others) at the following web site:

http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/homeDIR3.html

ID diver:

This might be true if you got DCS from walking around on the surface, as that's the only time the straps should be bearing on your shoulders. Underwater the shoulder straps are somewhat loose if adjusted correctly and the rig is held by the waist and crotch straps.

Debunk one theory and somebody comes up with another one :rolleyes:

1) BS
2) even more BS
3) I used to have OMS shoulder pads.. those are made of Neoprene... they make sense if you are diving in a T-shirt... if you are diving drysuit or Neoprene suit of any kind, they make no sense and only making it harder to get in your harness as it seems to always catch and roll the shoulder strap. Also, neoprene compresses at depth, so although not proven, but I suspect that my harness would get looser the deeper I dove... just a thought. I have since taken them off, and don't miss them at all.

VTernovski:
1) BS
2) even more BS
3) I used to have OMS shoulder pads.. those are made of Neoprene... they make sense if you are diving in a T-shirt... if you are diving drysuit or Neoprene suit of any kind, they make no sense and only making it harder to get in your harness as it seems to always catch and roll the shoulder strap. Also, neoprene compresses at depth, so although not proven, but I suspect that my harness would get looser the deeper I dove... just a thought. I have since taken them off, and don't miss them at all.

If your talking about getting a Halcyon Pioneer vs. a TransPac II I can comment because I purchased the Pioneer and my father got the TransPac. The TransPac with the Rec-Wing is very hard to dump air from, it gets trapped. He's trying to muck with the bungee's and straps to make it work better but the bottom line is that it's not the nicest thing to use. My Pioneer is clean and simple and works very well. I have to wear a belt because the TransPac has integrated pockets (optional). He finds the TransPac more comfortable on SHORE, I don't dive on shore...

Good Luck,
Craig

Sounds like your LDS wants to sell you a softpac, because it has a higher markup (More profit) than a standard BP and H. I smell BS...

I've used my bp/w in hot water (96F) with only a rashguard for protection. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, unless I stood around on the dock with my tank on for twenty minutes.

In fact, I'd loosened it up to "make it more comfortable" at the start of the weekend, but by Sunday it was tighter than before I'd loosened it. Feels the best when it's mounted rock solid to your back.

I have no idea how tight you would have to make it, and how long you'd have to wear it on the surface, for it to contribute to any kind of circulatory problem. Though I do suspect that since I don't see anyone wearing them to work day in and day out, odds are good a week would be a bit much. :)

Wijbrandus:
I've used my bp/w in hot water (96F) with only a rashguard for protection. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, unless I stood around on the dock with my tank on for twenty minutes.

I am assuming you were diving in Homestead Crater. It is the only water that warm that I am aware of in the area. We live in Idaho and dive there on occassion.

When you say you used a rashguard what exactly were you wearing? Was is it a lycra suit, t-shirt, or something else. For future reference when I get a backplate I would like to know what my options are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom