BP questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID, it was Homestead. 104F at the bottom is sure nice.

I used one of those surf t-shirts. Mine is made by BodyGlove, I think. I'm not really sure. I only picked it up because I figured the harness would be a little abrasive on waterlogged skin on the surface. Bought it at my LDS for $35.

On careful consideration of the matter after the fact, I would probably have been just fine without anything, but I figured it would pull double duty on protection and modesty. Even with just the lycra, the backplate was very secure and did not bother me at all.

zslnk:
If your talking about getting a Halcyon Pioneer vs. a TransPac II I can comment because I purchased the Pioneer and my father got the TransPac. The TransPac with the Rec-Wing is very hard to dump air from, it gets trapped. He's trying to muck with the bungee's and straps to make it work better but the bottom line is that it's not the nicest thing to use.

Hmmm ... I have a TP II with Rec Wing and a backplate with an Oxycheq 45-lb wing. I don't have problems dumping air in either setup. The Oxycheq wing is better suited to diving singles because of its shape (longer, narrower footprint) ... and I definitely prefer diving a backplate to the TP II. But the bungee on the Rec Wing hasn't inhibited me from dumping air ... nor have I noticed any air trapping. And I've put probably 200 dives on that wing, so I'd have noticed.

Perhaps it's the diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ID diver:
I have been reading all the posts I can about backplates and back inflate BCDs (specifically the Transpac II). I have also talked with people locally about their gear configurations and I have a couple questions:

1. I was told that if you dive a backplate on a regular basis the metal will cause more abrasion on a drysuit than a softpac such as the Transpac. Do you find this true in your experiences? Is this really an issue?

2. The other comment that has been made is that the webbing only harness used on a backplate can cause blood circulation restrictions under the straps which could lead to localized DCS where as a padded shoulder strap spreads out the load more reducing the chance of DCS. Thoughts?

3. I have seen padded covers for a webbing harness does anyone have any input on the covers? Are they worth the money?

The other guys have already set you straight, but comments 1 and 2 are BS. Somebody is blowing smoke. 3. Not necessary.

Caveat Emptor. Let the Buyer Beware.

Good luck with your decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom