BP Oil Disaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In stead of offering leadership he is vacationing in Chicago and also forgoing the sitting president's customary Memorial Day duties at Arlington National Cemetery...:shakehead:

I agree. However, taking no leadership ownership of the national catastrophe and publicly mocking the every entity that is to solve the problem is a travesty IMO...

Let me just state. To the extent the president is not acting on this matter in order to establish political distance will backfire...

By the way, what a time for our president to be concerned with our budget...

It's all Obamas fault:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: why won't he admit it and let BP off the hook

It's all Obamas fault:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: why won't he admit it and let BP off the hook

Hell, I thought it was Bush's fault.:confused:

Very interesting. However, the two incidents are not in the same universe in terms or scope and potential damage. Thank you for proving my point that the administration is placing the entire burden on BP while they could vastly increase the effort to contain and stop the tragedy. I am surprised you are not frothing at the mouth with demands to do more with your home port viability at stake...

By the way, what a time for our president to be concerned with our budget...

But I and every other impacted person is protected. Anyone who has suffered a loss of revenue from the spill (my partners in Texas are in this boat) must be compensated by BP. When BP no longer has assets, the national fund kicks in until it's empty too. We are talking billions on billions of dollars. Every gallon of oil transported by water in the US is taxed as a part of this fund.

Impacted businesses are not the problem. The impact to the ecosystem will be devastating, but will recover with time. As you hear folks from Galveston say, tarballs from seeps in the Gulf are a natural occurrence, and the ocean recovers from these things. My fear is that coral reefs are at such a tipping point now that the oil impact would cause them not to be able to recover in out lifetime. Maybe we should take better care of the planet, it's not like we have another one.

Last edited:
Let me just state. To the extent the president is not acting on this matter in order to establish political distance will backfire...

Sure, but only because people have no idea what is involved in oil spills and why the Navy and Coast Guard aren't going to be much good at taking over. Navy + Coast Guard?? The government? Srsly??

I can understand why people might be pissed at what the government did about safety before this happened, but their inaction now?

BP can pay for it with their money, why do you think taxpayers should? BP has complete liability for this.

And yea I'm quite sure that BP is doing everything it can to fix this, it's not like they're not super unhappy about this like everyone else...

And yea I'm quite sure that BP is doing everything it can to fix this, it's not like they're not super unhappy about this like everyone else...[/in]

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Your suggesting they pleased about this are you?

Or that they don't care are you?

I would be willing to bet BP cares and is doing everything in it's power to fix it.
If you could fix it, you could write your own check...
Pressure at that depth is around 2,227 psi.... so don't take the steel "72"

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Your suggesting they pleased about this are you?

Or that they don't care are you?

No. Sorry, I made a typo. I meant to say they are very unhappy about the whole mess, just like everyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom