BP Oil Disaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a problem...I will still happily pump my gas.

Or are you suggesting that we stop, now, using all fossil fuels? So...no more cars, planes, or boats? No way to get to your favorite dive site unless you swim....really?

OK....but instead I think we should all realize that arrogance and hubris of many people that think we can have a modern society with no downside, no residue from making today's life possible.

Is it sad? Yup. Will BP/TransOcean/the Government "fix" it? Yup...to the best of their ability. Do I care about the oceans and wildlife? Absolutely! Do I want to see $10 a gallon gas? No freaking way...that would literally cripple this nation worse than the recession.

Sorry...but I find your use of the photos as nothing more than an emotional ploy to draw an emotional, but not rational and thoughtful, response from people.

I don't think Mike's intention is to encourage us to stop using fossil fuels. I'll let his address that. It gives me reason to pause, however.

I was (and still am somewhat) a huge supporter of the offshore oil and gas industry. My customers came from there, I burn 50-75,000 gallons of fuel per year, and see drilling in the gulf as a money maker. In the United States, we haven't had any reason to build more efficient engines, develop long range and long term alternatives to fuels, and really develop real alternative sources of power. I feel we've found a reason.

Not a problem...I will still happily pump my gas.

Or are you suggesting that we stop, now, using all fossil fuels? So...no more cars, planes, or boats? No way to get to your favorite dive site unless you swim....really?

OK....but instead I think we should all realize that arrogance and hubris of many people that think we can have a modern society with no downside, no residue from making today's life possible.

Is it sad? Yup. Will BP/TransOcean/the Government "fix" it? Yup...to the best of their ability. Do I care about the oceans and wildlife? Absolutely! Do I want to see $10 a gallon gas? No freaking way...that would literally cripple this nation worse than the recession.

ok... maybe I didn't word that the way I meant it. I didn't mean it as "next time you buy gas for your car" "but next time you buy gas for your car from BP.

why? because the mass extent of this could have been prevented.

Sorry...but I find your use of the photos as nothing more than an emotional ploy to draw an emotional, but not rational and thoughtful, response from people.

I can clearly see that by your response.... :rofl3: **snicker**

I don't think Mike's intention is to encourage us to stop using fossil fuels. I'll let his address that. It gives me reason to pause, however.

I was (and still am somewhat) a huge supporter of the offshore oil and gas industry. My customers came from there, I burn 50-75,000 gallons of fuel per year, and see drilling in the gulf as a money maker. In the United States, we haven't had any reason to build more efficient engines, develop long range and long term alternatives to fuels, and really develop real alternative sources of power. I feel we've found a reason.

Since we seem to be following Europe's model in every other respect lately I say we double or triple our nuclear generation capacity by expanding existing locations...

Since we seem to be following Europe's model in every other respect lately I say we double or triple our nuclear generation capacity by expanding existing locations...

My first real job was as a nuclear operations engineer at a power plant. I agree wholeheartedly. I could never figure out why we didn't follow France's lead and build one design, and train the hell out of everybody to use it. You do know, however, why we don't do that? A little environmental disaster called Three Mile Island?

My first real job was as a nuclear operations engineer at a power plant. I agree wholeheartedly. I could never figure out why we didn't follow France's lead and build one design, and train the hell out of everybody to use it. You do know, however, why we don't do that? A little environmental disaster called Three Mile Island?

Yes, then one week later the release of The China Syndrome movie. TMI had little enviromental consqeuences, did it not?

If we could only go back to TMI. Seems like a walk in the park compared to the Gulf disaster.

I was told by my friend the engineer that the mud is in the hole and well pressure has stabilized. I pray that the concrete pour goes well tonight.

Back
Top Bottom