BOV and DS feed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not fine sinking like a rock over 100m of water because you started to descend and discover your combined wing and suit gas suddenly isnt working. This is no different than OC tech diving where 2 separate posts are used for wing and DS. Unless you have a friendly cave floor to splat into, split your wing and DS feeds in CCR too.

I won't disagree with that, though if you're in 100m you probably have the suit separated anyway to keep the helium out of the suit though yeah?

too many variables.
Do you now or do you ever plan to use trimix?
What type of unit and BOV are you using?
What configuration is your diluent and bailout in now?

I don't use small dil bottles, but I do have different configurations for my rebreathers based on how my dilout or bailuent bottles are rigged. Need to know more about your configuration to make recommendations.

Prism 2 with Hollis standard BOV. Not trimix trained currently, Heliox, so not a factor for mixed gasses, unless the 30% He will be a chilling factor, not sure. Currently my BOV is rigged to my onboard DIL, looking to change that with a QD system to be able to rig the BOV to offboard bailout. 3l steel onboard and either S40, S63 or S80 bailout, depending on dive profile.

Looking at most responses I guess investing in a small cylinder for DS is the best option and having the BOV to offboard with wing on DIL the preferred method by most. keep it simple.

Prism 2 with Hollis standard BOV. Not trimix trained currently, Heliox, so not a factor for mixed gasses, unless the 30% He will be a chilling factor, not sure. Currently my BOV is rigged to my onboard DIL, looking to change that with a QD system to be able to rig the BOV to offboard bailout. 3l steel onboard and either S40, S63 or S80 bailout, depending on dive profile.

Looking at most responses I guess investing in a small cylinder for DS is the best option and having the BOV to offboard with wing on DIL the preferred method by most. keep it simple.

use the 3l for your drysuit, run the wing and BOV off of the offboard bottles

use the 3l for your drysuit, run the wing and BOV off of the offboard bottles
Thanks for the advice, will have a definite look at that, sounds reasonable enough,
Have to ask, do you run a splitter for the BOV and inflator connection, guess so to get the proper length

My unit is setup for diving in the caves so I don’t split the suit and wing gas. All wing n suit gas comes from the onboard 3liter. The bov and adv come from off board dil out. I will be doing more ow diving soon in preparation for a trip to truk. I never used to care about splitting the inflation gas sources since I primarily cave dive. For my ow diving (I pretty much dive helium on all ccr dives regardless of depth) I am running the adv and bov off board, the wing from the onboard 3l and the suit gas is from an inflation bottle

I'd recommend using a separate bottle for DS inflation. You can mount it on your backplate similar to how you'd mount it on OC, although I've switched mine up so I can wear it on my waist band in place of a light canister, since i use a cordless light for my ocean diving. I find I can usually get two dives off an AL6, and it's easy enough to whip some extra gas into it if you need a top-up.

Thanks for the advice, will have a definite look at that, sounds reasonable enough,
Have to ask, do you run a splitter for the BOV and inflator connection, guess so to get the proper length

several different options, but yes all use some sort of splitter. Since I don't dive a "normal" configured rebreather I can't comment specifically on hose lengths, but generally speaking you'd have a 2:1 splitter like this
DGX LP Y-Block: 2 Port 3/8-Inch F = 1 Port 9/16-Inch F
and you'll have the bov going out of the single side, a QC6 coming into one of the dual sides and the wing inflator coming out of the one next to it. Manifold will live in a variety of different locations depending on where you want to mount it which will dictate hose lengths.

I won't disagree with that, though if you're in 100m you probably have the suit separated anyway to keep the helium out of the suit though yeah?
There are people who use a single bottle of air for wing and DS. Keeps from "wasting" helium in the wing

30% helium in your DS is absolutely a no bueno

For modest non-sawtoothy profiles

Using the onboard dil bottle for dil
an Al6 of air as your suit gas
Offboard via a QC6 to a left side SM al80 of BO
Right side SM AL40 or AL80 of 50% is your deco gas.

Is a pretty normal configuration

There are people who use a single bottle of air for wing and DS. Keeps from "wasting" helium in the wing

my rack has the 3l providing air *usually EAN32* for the wing and drysuit with the onboard 50's for dilout. I still leave the whips on the doubles regs for the wing and drysuit and can swap them over pretty readily. If you follow the "2's" on prejump then you shouldn't magically have a runaway descent though if I was in blue water I would be tempted to put a traditional drysuit bottle on.

Back
Top Bottom