bouyancy of wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just did a pool check on my wetsuits and the numbers seem a bit off. Here is what I got.
Bare 3/2=4lbs
old 7mm farmer john bottom 15lbs
old 7mm farmer john top 14lbs
Do these numbers seem correct?
Thanks!
Gary

How old? My old custom ¼" Rubatex full suit farmer, jacket, hood, and boots were 22 Lbs, my new custom 7mm Neoprene blend (Asian material) is 34 Lbs for an identical cut & fit. I also just got a custom 7mm split/open cell freediving suit with the same cut that requires 32 Lbs.

A ¼" suit displaces a little less since 7mm = 0.275", but there is also a noticeable difference in the dry weigh. The newer suit weighs almost nothing compared to the Rubatex so that probably explains the discrepancy above the 0.075" difference in thickness.

Just did a pool check on my wetsuits and the numbers seem a bit off. Here is what I got.
Bare 3/2=4lbs
old 7mm farmer john bottom 15lbs
old 7mm farmer john top 14lbs
Do these numbers seem correct?
Thanks!
Gary

What size wetsuit?

Ok, the old 7mm farmer john is a Fathom SeaFlex. All of them are size medium.

Doesn't sound too far off than. I sometimes use a 7 mm, two-piece wetsuit, size XL plus a hood-----with that I use 28 pounds + a steel tank (-10 lbs) and even than just enough to get down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom