Waterproof W7 vs Bare Reactive 7mm Wetsuit Experience (Sizing and Warmth)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Incunabula

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to invest in a nicer 7mm wetsuit. I've narrowed it down to the Waterproof W7 and the Bare Reactive. Neither is available locally in my expected size, and the shop doesn't seem interested in ordering, so it's going to be an online order. Can anyone comment about their experience with fit for these two suits? What size are you? What size suit did you get and was it the right call? How are they holding up? Anything else you'd like to share? Thanks all.

I have the Bare Reactive 7mm XL. I'm 5'10", 205lbs, 16.5 neck, 34 arms, typically wear a 44 suit jacket. It fits well and I've been very happy with it.

I have a Waterproof W7 7mm and 5mm. Both are size M, I'm 5'7" and 66Kg (approx 145lbs) and the fit is very good. The additional neck seal makes a huge difference and with the ankle and wrist seals it is as good as a semi-dry.

I own a 7mm Bare, and 3.5 & 5 mm Waterproof. All provide acceptable warmth but much prefer all aspects of the Waterproof products: fit, comfort, ease of donning and removing, durability, and materials. I’m 6’0”, 160 lbs. Bare suit is size MT/ML, Waterproofs are both size ML. I don’t particularly care to wear 7mm suits and usually dive dry but I purchased the Bare suit for a specific job. My major complaint with the Bare suit is that it rubbed agains my neck just over my carotid, and wore a hole thru my skin. It spends most of its time in my closet.

I own a 7mm Bare, and 3.5 & 5 mm Waterproof. All provide acceptable warmth but much prefer all aspects of the Waterproof products: fit, comfort, ease of donning and removing, durability, and materials. I’m 6’0”, 160 lbs. Bare suit is size MT/ML, Waterproofs are both size ML. I don’t particularly care to wear 7mm suits and usually dive dry but I purchased the Bare suit for a specific job. My major complaint with the Bare suit is that it rubbed agains my neck just over my carotid, and wore a hole thru my skin. It spends most of its time in my closet.
Interesting. I heard that the Waterproof suit runs large, but the reports here so far seem to point to them fitting quite slim. I'm a strength trainer and was considering ML at 5'11" ~180 lbs., but if ML fits you then it will probably be pretty tight across the chest/legs for me. I'm less sure now than when I started.

I have the Bare Reactive semi dry. I love it, nearly as warm as a drysuit. Mines an xxl, I'm 6'4" 240lbs

I also installed a pee-valve in it, since it's a semi-dry. This guy doesn't want to be marinated in yellow stuff, lol.

@Incunabula Sorry to stray from answering your question, but if you're looking for a good fit and are willing to spend $600+, why would you not just get a custom fit wetsuit?

@Incunabula Sorry to stray from answering your question, but if you're looking for a good fit and are willing to spend $600+, why would you not just get a custom fit wetsuit?
A couple of reasons. If I can find an off the shelf option that works, I'd much rather be able to get another again easily and quickly if needed. Sort of like finding a favorite pair of jeans, I just don't have to think about it again. The production suits also seem to be more feature rich and generally get you more for your money. I'd consider a custom suit if I had anatomy that was incompatible with off-the-shelf suits, but I don't feel it's necessary. I don't have a challenging shape, I'm just working around the variability in manufacturer's claimed sizes. The potential for sales, discounts and lightly used is also a big opportunity to save some of that money.

Interesting. I heard that the Waterproof suit runs large ...
Hi, my recent experience with the Waterproof W7 wetsuit is just the opposite, I and the dive shop from which I purchased the wetsuit both feel the Waterproof sizing charts run small.

I'm 5'9" and weigh approximately 165 lbs. My previous wetsuit was a large size 8/7 mm Aqualung SolAfx, used it for 12 years and was happy with its performance but it (like me) was beginning to show its age. At the time of purchase I had looked at Waterproof wetsuits at that time but was more cost conscious back then.

Now that cost is less of a concern to me, and knowing that this will likely be the last cold water wetsuit I will ever purchase, I splurged on a complete Waterproof outfit; 7 mm W7 wetsuit, 1 mm Neoskin, U1 2/5 mm hooded vest, and 5 mm G1 gloves. I tried all in large size but except for the gloves all other items were too tight, had to go to extra large size for proper fit. This surprised me, as I was swimming in the extra large size Aqualung SolAfx wetsuit I had tried on.

If you're seriously considering a Waterproof wetsuit I strongly urge you to not rely on the Waterproof sizing chart and instead go to dive shop and try one on before making a purchase. I know that's easier said than done, there aren't a great deal of dive shops that carry Waterproof products; the local dive shop I patronize doesn't so I needed to go to a different shop 90 minutes driving time away.

Looking to invest in a nicer 7mm wetsuit. I've narrowed it down to the Waterproof W7 and the Bare Reactive. Neither is available locally in my expected size, and the shop doesn't seem interested in ordering, so it's going to be an online order. Can anyone comment about their experience with fit for these two suits? What size are you? What size suit did you get and was it the right call? How are they holding up? Anything else you'd like to share? Thanks all.
I have the Bare Reactive, size ML. 5‘ 10” 180 lbs. Love the fit a having the neck zipper.

Back
Top Bottom