Bought a wetsuit, now not sure if correct one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wena

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All

My son has decided to take up scuba diving and will be doing his OW and OWA soon.
In his exuberance he went and bought a wetsuit.

A, XCel Men's 8/7/6/5mm Polar Quad-Density Hooded to be precise.

My worry is Cape Town's water can get to 7 degrees cent (44.6 deg Far), will this suit be warm enough.

I cannot find any info on temp rating.I have emailed xcel themselves, a few days ago, but they have not come back to me.

Thanks

Wena

A drysuit would be most ideal in that water temperature.

His chest-entry semi-dry hooded wetsuit will be the best possible wetsuit for those temperatures though! He will want to bring a jug of boiling hot water to the dive site if possible to purge his gloves, boots, and chest with before entering and after exiting the water.

Cold tolerance varies between individuals. Just like on a cold day you might see someone walking around comfortably in a T-shirt, while others are bundled in sweatshirts. Big guys generally have higher cold tolerance, and there are even some crazy people that go ice-diving in 7mm wetsuits.

I think most people would find 44 degrees to be chilly in anything but a drysuit, though. The XCel is a warm suit, and OW certification dives are generally pretty short, so he can probably tough it out, but it won't be fun. If he doesn't want to get a drysuit, I would suggest getting a 5mm layer to go underneath that wetsuit. That will make it substantially warmer. I've tried a variety of layers, and really love the Fourth Element semi-john.

Fourth Element Proteus Men's 5/4mm Short-John Wetsuit

Hi All

My son has decided to take up scuba diving and will be doing his OW and OWA soon.
In his exuberance he went and bought a wetsuit.

A, XCel Men's 8/7/6/5mm Polar Quad-Density Hooded to be precise.

My worry is Cape Town's water can get to 7 degrees cent (44.6 deg Far), will this suit be warm enough.

I cannot find any info on temp rating.I have emailed xcel themselves, a few days ago, but they have not come back to me.

I dive this same wetsuit: it's about as warm of a suit as you're going to find, and is a good choice for a beginning diver in cold water. I find myself feeling chilled below about 55F. However, as VeganShark noted, everyone's tolerance for cold is different.

If your son keeps diving in cold water, he'll eventually want a drysuit, but there's plenty of time for that down the road if he enjoys the sport enough. As a beginner, a drysuit adds a lot of extra complications.

Some scuba training programs (notably ones in Canada) will start their students right off in a drysuit, however this seems to be the exception.

I've done a few dives in that temperature rage in a 7/5mm wetsuit. They were barely tolerable and I'm pretty tolerant of cold... temps here rarely fall below 50 F (which I'm "fine" in). Of course my wetsuits are old and don't offer the thermal protection a new one would, and that suit may be fine initially. A dry suit would probably be a better choice, but personally I wouldn't suggest one prior to basic training.

I'm not sure where you get the 7degC figure from - that seems awfully low for your latitude. I was always under the impression that SA sea surface temperatures tend to be like 13-15 in winter on the west coast (maybe getting to 11 below the thermocline). I dive colder than that (10-12) in winter with a lesser suit that what your kid got (I use a 7mm jumpsuit w/a 5mm hooded vest). Single dives work out fine, but I do get a bit chilled after following dives, but nothing that a thermos of tea and a jacket during surface intervals can't fix. If I'm right about your temps, I'm sure your kid will be fine.

Hi
Thanks to all for the replies.
On further investigation it looks like the water temp is between 10c (50f) and 18c (64f).

Maybe a 2mm shorty top?

Thanks
Wena

Hi
Thanks to all for the replies.
On further investigation it looks like the water temp is between 10c (50f) and 18c (64f).

Maybe a 2mm shorty top?

Thanks
Wena

In those temps, that 8/7/6/5 should be fine by itself.

If he wants to up his body temp, bring hot water! It's cheap, easy, and is guaranteed to increase comfort.

In those temps, that 8/7/6/5 should be fine by itself.

I agree. My checkout dives were in 60 degree water (55 below the thermocline). The women were in 7 mm but the men were in 3mm. No one wore hoods or gloves, though I think gloves might have been nice.

For me upper 50's is okay for a 7 mm but once it gets to about 54 or lower it is downright chilly. I've added a 3 mm vest for warmth but in all honesty it doesn't help much. Temps in the 58 or higher range a 7 mm is just fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom