Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Probe stuff claims that its fame is being able to be completely dry in 10 minutes.

I don't see any similar claim with the Pinnacle stuff.

Fast drying is one of the things appealing to me about the Probe suits. Take it off and it's dry before I put it back on after a 1 hour surface interval sounds pretty cool. Peel down the top and the torso and arms are dry before I put them back on, also sounds cool.

Looking at the pictures of the Probe, it appears to be 100% lined with their fleece - unlike a lot of suits I've seen from other companies that only have their fleece in the torso or part way down the arms and legs. It seems like being fully lined would make it easier to don.

Hi Stuart!

The Probe behaves exactly as you describe. This is how my frogskins dry. And, if you shake them, they are 90% dry instantly. It's just amazing.

I am losing a few pounds, but when I get there the first thing on my list is the Probe iDry 5mm. I just did a liveaboard (my first) to Cuba. Warm water (80 degree) and my old 3mm was trashed, so I got a Bare Reactive 3mm. I will say, best water sealing I have ever seen on any 3mm and extremely high quality build. But, just not super warm. Felt a distinct chill by the 4th dive of the day. For one thing, the "celliant" lining, while very comfortable, is complete snake-oil in terms of adding warmth by supposedly reflecting infrared. For another, the "super stretch" neopreme thins down quite a bit when you put it on, and then compresses at depth, so that I could feel the coolness of the water through the suit. My old suits were Waterproof, with more traditional nitrogen blown limited stretch neoprene, and were much warmer, but also more difficult to put on, a little. So, if going with any ultra-stretch neoprene, I would seriously consider one thickness more than what you would buy in "traditional" neoprene. For me, that will be 5mm instead of 3mm.

I will put up with this disadvantage because one of the main "misery" factors on my trip was putting on a cold damp suit after each dive. Unfortunately the trip was last minute and I did not have time to order the Probe, but I am going to rectify that now. For any liveaboard or multi dive per day situation, it will be great!

I'm really just curious how well the iDry will seal to prevent water flushing through, considering it is 100% lined with fleece (except for a smoothskin seal around the neck).

The alternative I'm considering is a ScubaPro EverFlex 5/4, which is lined with their DiamondSpan "fleece". I have some SP boots with DiamondSpan and it does seem like they are really warm. The EverFlex is lined with fleece, but has smoothskin seals on the inside of the wrists and ankles, so I'm wondering if it would be warmer by virtue of having less water flushing through from outside the suit.

I think the SP won't dry as quickly as the iDry. Not even close. But, if it's warmer in the water, that might be worth it.

I guess no way to tell about water flushing until I try it. For the legs, no concern as I will have boots and tuck the legs in. The neck has skinseal. So, really the only question is the wrists and that is only because I don't wear gloves that would cover the wrists.

Luckily, I have a wetsuit maker close by that can add skin seals on the wrist and ankles if I really want that.

Some new types of linings (like my Reactive) dry faster than regular lycra, but we are talking "five or six hours" versus "overnight." Nothing at all like what the frogskins do.

@guyharrisonphoto @stuartv

I’m also very interested in their wetsuits. @nato turned me onto this brand and I have been very curious about their quick dry wetsuits. I’m addicted to LOBs and one of the things I hate is donning a wet wetsuit 3 times after the first dive. My workhorse suit is a high stretch 5mm (Aqua Lung AquaFlex) so I would look for something about that thick.

I’m very interested to know about your assessment of warmth and sealing if either of you try it. I think the Probe iDry might be my next suit!

I'm considering the frogskins under a 3mm Henderson frontzip suit for local (NJ) summertime diving.

Thanks for your great review, @guyharrisonphoto. I know it's an old post, but I still find it super helpful. I ordered the women's L/S top and hood. I can't wait to receive it and I hope the size I got is right. Like you, I fell between 2 sizes and I opted for the smaller one. I will update when I receive...

Dang. I had kind of forgotten about this. I really wanted to try one of their suits. But, I just bought 2 new Bare Reactive suits about 2 months ago.

Does anyone have one of their iDry wetsuits? Is it as good as they make it look on their website?

Dang. I had kind of forgotten about this. I really wanted to try one of their suits. But, I just bought 2 new Bare Reactive suits about 2 months ago.

Does anyone have one of their iDry wetsuits? Is it as good as they make it look on their website?

I will let you know. I think I will get one early next year. My Aqua Lung AquaFlex might need to be replaced as it’s no longer a real 5mm anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom