Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my Frogskins today. I bought the women’s long sleeve top and the hood. I bought a size 8 in the top. For reference, I wear an Aqua Lung US 4 in their AquaFlex 3mm and a US 6 in their AquaFlex 5mm and SolAfx 8/7 semi-dry. I was between sizes and they suggested I go down a size. I bought a small in the hood as well.

This is as fitted as wearing a 1.5 or 2mm suit for me except at the wrist which aren’t as fitted but I have freakishly small wrists. Getting in was tricky given the lack of zippers. The easiest way is to put the hands and arms through first then finish with the rest of the arms and head rather than head first then each of the arms. I could see myself just wearing this with surf/swim tights in warm water.

My primary goal was to have this for a trip to Indonesia. I’ve dived Indonesia before but reports are that parts of Alor have been as cold as 73F lately so I wanted to have this to layer as well as an emergency hood. I can layer this under my Aqua Lung AquaFlex 5mm and it works well but I’m not going to lie - it definitely affects the feel of the suit and it’s comfort. When I relax my arms, they splay our from my sides instead of falling naturally like when I’m just wearing my 5mm alone. I think it might help once a layer of water is in there and things glide and get settled a bit more. The darts and women’s cut and fit is spot on. The seams are super comfy and nothing annoying the armpit area.

The fact that it’s so fitted is reassuring as it won’t bag out but it also layers better under a wetsuit. I’m taking it out into the wild next week and will let you know at the end of October how it goes.

I’m not yet convinced on the hood. It isn’t as restrictive or thick as a neoprene hood but I still hate having my jaw confined or pushed back.

Some fun photos below to show you what I have described. Ordered on a Thursday I believe and received by Tuesday.

@guyharrisonphoto when you received a customs invoice, was it with delivery or later on? I didn’t get one.

Attachments

• 4EC24A1C-E2E1-40D1-BA38-1D431A4A7885.jpeg
    4EC24A1C-E2E1-40D1-BA38-1D431A4A7885.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 301
  • E3B69DD9-E51F-421F-90C0-E3573E9FA901.jpeg
    E3B69DD9-E51F-421F-90C0-E3573E9FA901.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 289
  • FAE4F919-78D8-4EB1-AED7-5248CBF60046.jpeg
    FAE4F919-78D8-4EB1-AED7-5248CBF60046.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 304
Im on my first trip with the idry, and oh boy am I head over heels in love! Will post a proper review once I'm home. It's so unicorn amazing I havent found a better recreational, reasonably priced wetsuit. It's almost perfection!

Update for me as well. I did 84 dives with the Frogskin L/S for women as well as my Frogskin hood. After I wet it for the first time and re-layered it underneath my wetsuit, I didn't have the fit issues that I had when I first tried it on when it was new. It "broke in". The hood also fit better. My arms were able to rest by my side without issue and it was super comfortable. It was amazing. Kudos to Frogskin for their quick reply on size help after I sent them info on what sizes I wear in other products. Their recommendation was spot on. I was worried when I initially got both because they were so tight. Everything worked out.

To give you some context, I went diving in Indonesia where I am used to having about 80-86F temperatures (26-30C). We ended up with 68-84F (20-29C) during the duration of the trip across the Banda Sea (Ambon, Banda Arc to Alor, and Komodo) over a period of 27 dive days. My 5mm now has well over 330 dives on it so it is quite smashed and not as warm as it was before. It also isn't sealing as well as it used to. We had some overcast and windy days in Ambon during the week I was there. It was so nice to get into a dry top before I put on a wet wetsuit. The speed at which it dries is incredible. You can wear it on its own or wear it under a wetsuit. I had some emergency pees where I had to dump my butt out of my wetsuit because I couldn't wait to get back on the boat. As soon as I lifted my Frogskin top a bit, I could feel the difference in comfort/temperature from the cooler than usual water. I also usually hate hoods, but this one is by far the most comfortable. Granted, it's not as comfortable as a thick neoprene one. I highly recommend it. I am seriously considering the iDry as my next wetsuit. @dumpsterpurrs, I can't wait to see your detailed review.

I have not received a customs invoice or anything so I am in the all clear.

After I wet it for the first time and re-layered it underneath my wetsuit, I didn't have the fit issues that I had when I first tried it on when it was new. It "broke in". The hood also fit better. My arms were able to rest by my side without issue and it was super comfortable. It was amazing.
I've noticed that too! My ensemble was also, er, challenging at first, but as I dive with it, the fit gets better and better.

I have the Frogskin long sleeve top, and I love it, very light but keep me warm.
I was talking with the vendor about the fit, and they confirm that the frogskin loosen up by 10% when wet.

Back
Top Bottom