Bought a new regulator just noticing it has a fingernail deep scratch/nick on first stage, will this be a problem with rust or anything in the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Aqualung legend MBS and I am noticing months later where I haven’t even used it yet, but about to on closer inspection there is a small Nick on the first stage. It is about a fingernail deep meeting. Your fingernail will get stuck in it if you graze your finger by.

Seems only cosmetic to a new and green person like me, I wish I could buy something new that would come 100% immaculate. But being this is the case, is it something to worry about? I can’t but help feel the water will penetrate in and cause rust and nasty ness not sure what could happen.

I think I’m outside of the time allowed for returns or exchanges. But what should I do if anything at all. Should I worry?
The photos are really bad, out of focus and with your fingers in it.
From what I see, there is no apparent defect. The chrome plating has been applied after machining the parts, and what you see are the traces of machining, which were chromed-over.
So the surface is correctly protected, and you do not have to worry abut corrosion or detachment of the plating.
In any case, a brass regulator is something really resilient.
Some scratches have no effect on its performances... Proper rinsing and periodic maintenance, instead, ensure it continues working 40+ years after having been manufactured and used in sea water more than 1000 times...
Please, stop over-thinking and go diving!
What you see here below is one of the regs which I am still using nowadays, purchased in 1980, and recently converted from Yoke to DIN:
20200208-101724.jpg

With CNC machining being computer controlled, I would think the machine would have had to go haywire to make a gouge like that. Plus, they have quality inspection every step of the way.

@Angelo Farina , what he said, and he may be of the three smartest persons on Scubaboard! *(none of the three include me BTW to be clear :) )

With what has been going on with AL over the last several years and the sale off 100% to an investment group after the prior company (CEO) had been sucking cash out I doubt employees are highly motivated. There is always Atomic and need I say :stirpot: :

I bet if the OP returns and gets another it will have similar "features" and without a better photo I am still going to say that both marks are pre-chroming and are either casting or machine tool CNC marks of no consequence to the function or longevity of the regulator.

The amount of torque on a HP or LP hose is minimal. Seat it and a 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Pliers, Channel Locks, Crescent style wrench (the Knipex is not a Crescent wrench) Ford wrenches, Snapon "Flank" drive open ends and other assorted tools are strictly forbidden.

Yea but those are things that can be adjusted with a wrench. I’m more worried about things I can’t change like scratches, nicks etc
Scratches and nicks are inevitable over regular use. They normally do not affect the integrity or inner workings of the reg. Usually the only time you have to be concerned about external stuff like this if it is the result of abuse (cylinders being tossed around) or an accident like a hard fall. Something like a cylinder/bc/reg assembly is left standing on a tailgate or bench and gets knocked over and falls to the ground. That can loosen the DIN or yoke assembly or even knock it off if the fall is high enough onto concrete or paving. Small external scratches to the finish, even down to the brass, are unlikely to cause a function or safety issue.
These are my regs and how they are stored once they are dry. These have a couple hundred dives on them. The marks are just from normal use and are in no way a danger. I've seen regs look much worse cosmetically and yet they function like new.
It's good to be careful with your gear. But one can also get carried away with things that don't affect function.

Attachments

• 20230917_121736_resized.jpg
    20230917_121736_resized.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230917_121805_resized.jpg
    20230917_121805_resized.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230917_121930_resized.jpg
    20230917_121930_resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 27
@Angelo Farina , what he said, and he may be of the three smartest persons on Scubaboard! *(none of the three include me BTW to be clear :) )

With what has been going on with AL over the last several years and the sale off 100% to an investment group after the prior company (CEO) had been sucking cash out I doubt employees are highly motivated. There is always Atomic and need I say :stirpot: :

I bet if the OP returns and gets another it will have similar "features" and without a better photo I am still going to say that both marks are pre-chroming and are either casting or machine tool CNC marks of no consequence to the function or longevity of the regulator.

The amount of torque on a HP or LP hose is minimal. Seat it and a 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Pliers, Channel Locks, Crescent style wrench (the Knipex is not a Crescent wrench) Ford wrenches, Snapon "Flank" drive open ends and other assorted tools are strictly forbidden.

You know what they say: "Deep down, you want the bestest, Scubapro!!" There was no "best" until Atomic regulators came along!

IF they are not cleaning the chips from the mill, using old heads/wheels for the final polish, or the tool is out of adjustment those circular marks under the plating are possible.
I've been working in a machine shop for 23 years and running a waterjet for 17 or those. I send parts to our machinists for countersinking, boring, and surface finish. We have had less than stellar results when someone gets pissed off or or have a lapse in attention and see these types of marks after it gets sent to plating.
CNC machines are not perfect and only as good as the person running them and the people maintaining them.

Angelo is well respected on this board, as I think you are too. I don’t think this has anything to do with being smart. All I’m saying is when you buy something brand new I want it blemish free. Unless you buy it with the understanding this is the last one on the shelf… it has a blemish, and the sales person/management give you a deal. Whether it’s a manufacturing defect or technicians mistake. I would back off the LP hose to make sure it hasn’t been over torqued and possibly stripped some threads.

Remove and install hoses with this tool. Save the beauty of your chrome plated brass regulators.

View attachment 802837
That's the adjustable wrench that goes in the SAD kit. And my scuba bench tool box (just much larger version). And the AR armorer tool box. And a few in the general household tool chest. They are brilliant!

The process… To many inspection points to miss a gouge like the one in the OP’s.

Bad picture, take one in focus.

a lot of circular whatzit going on, don’t care how it got there, I don’t pay other people to damage my gear, if it came like you either take it back or get over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom