Bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Timex Helix Dive watch has two dive functions, including a dive track mode which records dive time down to fractions of seconds and has all the functions of a bottom timer. It displays depth and records max depth, water temperature and actual time in smaller but easy to read displays, and displays the running dive time in a large and very easy to read display, much larger than either my Mares or my wife's mosquito. After getting this, I basically stopped wearing my computer except for special circumstances. As I only carry a mini pressure gauge for a console, I do usually stick a loose depth gauge in my pocket as I have had computers/dive watches fail during dives.

I don't know if the Helix dive model is currently in production, but you can find probably find one out on Ebay for $50 or so.

Peter Guy:
Hmmm, well, she started out with a Cobra (but now can NOT be bothered to have such a rule 6 violation anywhere near her!) so that one is out -- and it doesn't show seconds so her 1 minute stop might be as long as, wait, 92 seconds!

Then she got a Mosquito -- NOT a rule 6 violation but she won't use the "cheesy" magnifyer and yes, it doesn't show seconds either so again, it may not be precisely 60 seconds!

OK, then she got a dive watch which SHOWS seconds so her stops were "spot on" BUT now she finds out the band won't fit over her dry suit. Now SOME people might say, get a bigger band or come up with an extender, but, hmmm, nope -- MUST GET ANOTHER TOY!

Wives, can't live with 'em, .......

Replace the watch strap with bungee -- will fit any wrist, and is clearly going to giuve her extra rule6 points for looking more like a tech diver.

And the minutes/seconds part really isn't *that* bad -- it only really affects your initial stop (where you might have to wait for the time to tick over). After that, you are on a schedule minute to minute to get out of the water.

mixdiver:
I use a suunto vyper in gauge mode and a oms bottom timer. The bottom timer is easier to read but i like to download my dives.

The DeepSeaSupply bungie holders are the answer to not fitting properly. You just put the right size piece of bungie on.

http://www.deepseasupply.com

http://www.sealevelscuba.net/ He had a great deal on the bottom timers a week ago.

Good luck.

But the Vyper does not display seconds. Which was one of the requirements listed.

Unfortunately, the $20 watch I bought doesn't have any reasonable way to convert to bungee, or I would have done it already.

Sounds like I need to start haunting e-bay for a Helix. Appears it would solve all my problems.

limeyx:
But the Vyper does not display seconds. Which was one of the requirements listed.

The OMS Bottom Timer is the same thing as the Uwatec Bottom Timer, but with a different name on it. It doesn't do seconds either.

TSandM:
Unfortunately, the $20 watch I bought doesn't have any reasonable way to convert to bungee, or I would have done it already.

Sounds like I need to start haunting e-bay for a Helix. Appears it would solve all my problems.

Just go to Wally World and get some elastic strap material in the fabric department. I tihnk they even have it in black :)

I used that stuff to sew some staps for our Helix DMs, Remove the OEM band and just pass it under the standard pins. I just made a short loop that ran pin to pin and tie wrapped it to the base of my console. The Helix band is uselessly short.

Pete

Have you looked at the Waterborn (I believe that's the name) straps? Dive-Xtras used to sell them. It might be to wide for your watch, but it's worth taking a look since they will fit over any drysuit.

TSandM:

TSandM:

You cant burn some holes in the strap and thread bungee through them?

I'm late to the party, as usual... (sigh)

My Vytec in gauge mode (no AI transmitter) exactly meets your requirements. For what I use it for, its also horribly overpriced. OTOH, it has an excellent stopwatch feature for timing stops. :)

If I were in the market, I'd probably look at the Aladin Tec Wristmount from Uwatec. I've seen a dive buddy's, its very nice in gauge mode, the numbers are visible, the download doesn't require a cable, and its even got a depth averaging function (which does require a minor workaround if you stop to do s-drills at 20' before a dive).

Edit: Based on what Vie says below :D, Tobin's Uwatec bottom timer bungee mount also works for the Aladin Tec, and he will punch a hole for the infrared window for uploading profiles to your computer (or you could DIY but I'd have Tobin do it, his quality is amazing).

StSomewhere:
Based on something I read on TDS, Tobin's Uwatec bottom timer bungee mount either works for the Aladin Tec or he has a special version specific to that dive computer.

Tobin's elastomeric mount for UWATEC BT will fit the Aladin Tec perfectly - you can request that DSS punch a hole on the right side for the IrDA window if you plan to put an Aladin Tec in the mount. There is no special version.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html

Back
Top Bottom