bottom cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myke2813

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
wuzup guys my name is mike and im a newbie on this site , but i was wondering if anybody could help me with some question i have about bottom cleaning .

1-where can i find more information in bottom cleaning ?
2-where can i find what kinda of tools i would need for bottom cleaning?
3- how do the pricing goes about does it go by foot - or - hourly charge ?

thank you for ur time reading this

There are no real resources for hull cleaning info other than forums like this one. Do searches here for "hull cleaning" and "bottom cleaning" and you'll find many threads about the subject. Regarding pricing, it typically is based on the length of the boat. Fortunately you are in the Miami area and there is no shortage of hull cleaners already doing business there. I suggest you use Google to find their web sites and contact info. You should have no trouble learning what the going rate is in your area.

My guy charges $1.50 a foot but that is a pretty clean boat. I have him do it every 2-4 weeks. Takes him about 30 min. After doing it myself a few times I can say it's a heck of a deal.

My guy charges $1.50 a foot but that is a pretty clean boat. I have him do it every 2-4 weeks. Takes him about 30 min. After doing it myself a few times I can say it's a heck of a deal.
Prices will vary widely from region to region. For instance, we get almost double here in the Bay Area what they charge in Southern California. Florida has even more variation in prices, depending on location, from what I've seen.

but is always by foot or there is flat rate on every size of boats. and how would i do if it the first time me going to that boat to clean how does that work how u give the price if u dont know how dirty it is.

also if it been only a month tht they havent cleaned it would it be really dirty when i get down there ?

how long would it take to get really nasty down there ?

and can u guys give me a list of tools i might need and where i can get these tools ?

thank u again for taking time and helping me on this poject thank u very much

1-where can i find more information in bottom cleaning ?

[h=3]Toilet paper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/h]
2-where can i find what kinda of tools i would need for bottom cleaning?

[h=1]Triple Quilted Velvet Toilet Tissue Roll White 40 Roll per Pack[/h]
Zb6YcN6xs_wP8ZM1WbmqBkeDrrfN5YxY-BsemYBXw2qSP3wdgAtBogNwtQ8kVN0BKG2EqjvJvbYafAIdZm1zclW0G3pRwKpiF-HoyVEwtZ1f49AHuYxFq3SDgbOPZr8Cl7z6Njymprg48F2VMX_p17QrJxVpfB4xREW5oEGFGZtJWWJsd37MmVw

3- how do the pricing goes about does it go by foot - or - hourly charge ?

Materials: Charged per roll. About $3.50 for a 20m roll.
Labor: Negotiable, depending on experience.

(sorry... I couldn't resist)

Real fu*king witty, with the bottom cleaning jokes. Like we've never heard those before. And you're supposed to be a moderator? Thanks for cluttering up the thread with your retarded bullsh*t. Jeezus. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

but is always by foot or there is flat rate on every size of boats. and how would i do if it the first time me going to that boat to clean how does that work how u give the price if u dont know how dirty it is.
Again, most divers charge by the foot, based on length overall (LOA). Expect some owners to want you to charge by the waterline length (WLL), but don't do it. You'll only be screwing yourself. Check with the local competition to find out what the going per/foot rate is. Wrap your head around the fact that since you are just starting out and don't know what the hell you are doing, there's gonna be a steep learning curve where you will spend time cleaning crappy bottoms for less then they are worth. Once you learn the ropes you'll be able to work faster and more efficiently and actually get paid what your time is worth.

also if it been only a month tht they havent cleaned it would it be really dirty when i get down there ?
Probably won't be too bad. A month isn't a long time regardless of what the fouling conditions are in your area.

how long would it take to get really nasty down there?
Impossible to generalize. Completely dependant on the local fouling conditions and the conditon of the bottom paint.

and can u guys give me a list of tools i might need and where i can get these tools?
C'mon kid, this ain't rocket science. Basic tools will include a selection of 3M Doodlebug scrubbers, basic hand tools (hammer, screwdrivers, sockets, allen wrenches), a scraper (typically a 6" taping knife will do) and a wire brush.

You might consider working for an established company to learn the ropes before you start wailing away on some poor sucker's $200,000 boat. A hull cleaner isn't doing himself or his customers any favors if he goes to work with little, or no knowledge.

Again, look around the Commercial Divers forum for threads on hull cleaning. You'll find some valuable info here, if you ignore the idiots and haters.

Last edited:
Real fu*king witty, with the bottom cleaning jokes. Like we've never heard those before. And you're supposed to be a moderator? Thanks for cluttering up the thread with your retarded bullsh*t. Jeezus. :rolleyes:

Does your line of work make people abrasive? Or do abrasive people just gravitate to that line of work?

You didn't/don't find my humor funny. C'est la vie.

There's no need to post in such an abrasive manner. :D

Get it?... "abrasive"... get it? LOL

I expect more from a forum moderator than boring, unfunny toilet jokes in a thread where some rookie is just trying to get a few answers. You added nothing to the discussion, certainly not humor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom