Botched Apostrophes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had it happen copying from Wikipedia.
mixed-smiley-030.gif
[-]But too, I am seeing some text glitches on Vimeo, Ebay and other sites tonight.[/-]

mixed-smiley-006.gif
After I booted, that odd text problem on other sites vanished. Should have done that sooner.

Last edited:
I posted this with vBulletin Support. They said, "Don't use Microsoft's Fancy Quotes"

This is NOT the only site in the world with this issue on vBulletin.

On one of my WordPress blogs, I changed the encoding from the default recommended UTF-8 to the ISO-8859-1. Not sure what other problems that might introduce on RSS feeds though.

My first copy/paste test in the fitness forums appears to have worked so far.

I ended up changing my WordPress blog back to WP's recommended UTF-8. It screwed up too many of my previous blog posts to easily fix manually.

I posted this with vBulletin Support. They said, "Don't use Microsoft's Fancy Quotes"

This is NOT the only site in the world with this issue on vBulletin.

oh... and it doesn't like it when "..." is copy/pasted either... was turning it into "?".... so vB support commenting on "MS Fancy Quotes" seems to have little to do with what we're actually seeing effected.

Guess they think we're idiots... lol

Here's what vBulletin Support Said,

This is common when people copy-n-paste from applications that use a lot of hidden code, such as MS Word. This is not really a support ticket issue. The easiest thing is to tell those members to use the standard editor instead of the enhanced one when they paste the info. That will strip out the garbage.

I didn’t think this would work, “so I tested it myself” (pasted from MS Word 2007 on Vista - using the Standard Editor in vBulletin)

To get the standard editor - click on the A/A in the upper right hand corner of the reply box.

I see a few of my posts are missing from this thread, but here are the results from a copy/paste I did from Zendiving tonight.

HavenÃÕ done any heavy lifting in a while, so I warmed on the rower, GHD, and such, then decided to add some plates to the barbell.

Workout:
Deadlift (as heavy warmup)
125 x 5
215 x 5

Front Squat
IÃ×e not done much/any significant heavy Front Squats, so everything was essentially a personal record (PR)

145Ž×3, 165, 185, 215PR

I still lean a bit to far forward and that puts some pressure on my hands/wrist, even though it shouldnÃÕ, so I stopped at 215

Back Squat (Previous PR 270)

215, 235, 255, 270, 275PR

DidnÃÕ have much gas in the tank tonight, so was just happy to be able to push some weight around and even get a PR or two.

We're working on a solution. We know what the issue is, and hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

I've never seen the words "botched" and "apostrophe" in a thread title on SB, making it the most intriguing title ever.

Bob... I think it's fixed now. Please let me know.

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom