Botched Apostrophes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Why can't Scubaboard's version of vBulletin handle apostrophes that are pasted in from other text sources? It's the only vBulletin board I've run across (so far) that's got this problem.

This has occurred when copying in from Notepad, a WordPress blog, or another vBulletin site.

Example:
Pretty much out of gas after that, so I didnÃÕ make another attempt.

A 3 second improvement didnÃÕ seem like much, so I did a comparison of "first attempt" and "most recent attempt" on all the distances where I've rowed twice at least a month apart. What I found was enlightening:

Why can't Scubaboard's version of vBulletin handle apostrophes that are pasted in from other text sources? It's the only vBulletin board I've run across (so far) that's got this problem.

This has occurred when copying in from Notepad, a WordPress blog, or another vBulletin site.

Different character sets.

If you copy from a document that's "ISO-8859-1", I would expect it to work.

If you give me a URL that doesn't work, that is ISO-8859-1, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Terry

So... are you saying that Scubaboard is using a different character set than is the default configuration? (otherwise I'm surmising that I'd see other vBulletin sites with similar issues)

I don't know what anybody else uses, however SB uses the above character set.

Terry

Quick fix is to paste the text into notepad then copy it from notepad to SB, this removes all unicode.

I've tried that before (a few months ago) with the same result. I was taught to use Notepad to avoid introducing extraneous characters so was surprised when it didn't work out. I'll have to check it again to see if works now.

I don't know what anybody else uses, however SB uses the above character set.

Terry

Well youÃÓe not much help now are you?
icon_wink.gif

Different character sets.

If you copy from a document that's "ISO-8859-1", I would expect it to work.

If you give me a URL that doesn't work, that is ISO-8859-1, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Terry

Okay... I did some research. It appears that ISO-8859-1 is the vBulletin default (although some install UTF-8 for compatibility).

Zendiving uses ISO-8859-1 as well, which further puzzles me since I copied from ZD to SB and ran into the character problem again today.

Here is the post I copied from on Zendiving. Perhaps you could try the link as well to see if you have the same results.

Pretty much out of gas after that, so I didnÃÕ make another attempt.

A 3 second improvement didnÃÕ seem like much, so I did a comparison of "first attempt" and "most recent attempt" on all the distances where I've rowed twice at least a month apart. What I found was enlightening:

Improvements %
250m 6.5% (3 sec)
1000m 5.3% (13 sec) (havenÃÕ tried a PR in almost a month)
5000m 6.4% (97 sec)

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom