Boston Sea Rovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely!

If anyone sees a 6"8 kid in a Red Sox hat and a hoodie, there is a real good (as in 90%) chance that that's me. Come up and say hi!

-matt

Absolutely!

If anyone sees a 6"8 kid in a Red Sox hat and a hoodie, there is a real good (as in 90%) chance that that's me. Come up and say hi!

-matt

Sure will!

And if anyone sees a 6'2", ruggedly handsome guy resembling Tedy Bruschi . . . there's a 100% chance that it's NOT me . . . I'm probably the disheveled looking ole guy holding the door for him!

Dennis

I'm pretty psyched to go... definitely a good escape from the rain (news was talking about flooding last night!). I think its funny they're holding it at the Fairmont, thats such a nice hotel for a bunch of salty divers!

I went to Sea Rovers yesterday. This was my first time at SR. The weather was miserable - rainy and windy. There were vendors from all over representing gear and services, but the crowd was fortunately only slight. I guess I thought it would be more crowded. Is this all over the higher end recreational sports?

The speakers were interesting. I saw Nancy McGee (charismatic speaker with a fun, informative presentation) present Rajan the Swimming Elephant; Alexandra Cousteau present Challenges of Conserving Our Water Planet (passionate shark anti-finning campaign film. She had a starting slide of A Silent World which I found odd considering her grandfather's A Silent World film shows the crew of Jacques bashing and gaffing sharks after they have struck a baby Sperm Whale. Ahh, who am I to judge....;Leander Nichols and Mark Griffin presented Favorite St Lawrence Shipwrecks (interesting footage since I had been on all of those wrecks last July 2007).

I wandered around looking for a suit repair place for my Andy's Dry Suit to get tailored (I lost weight). The guy there Frank Copren was very helpful and recommended perhaps to sell the suit on ebay since the repairs would be expensive. I tried on the OS HD-Pro suit which has a very sleek design perfect for a woman. I'm hooked! I'm a Small-Tall with long arms and legs. Suit priced to me was almost $500 cheaper than normal vendor prices and having custom arms. I'm seriously thinking of getting one in hot pink and black.

Overall the SR show was a good way for me to meet local dive vendors since I am now in the RI/MA area.

I had a fun time yesterday, as well. The film festival was quite impressive (although, I had unfortunately already seen Ocean Men... oh well... still "breathtaking" [hehe]).

I went to the Great Lakes lecture (I'll soon be moving to that area), and got their book (signed "Enjoy the GREAT great lakes!"). I never realized what an exciting area the Great Lakes could be, with so many preserved, wooden wrecks. The talk on the Nezinscott wreck off Cape Ann was fascinating as well... haha... "How far off cape ann?" somebody asked, "... very far!" he replied with a "your not going to jump my site!" look to his face.

Alaska... wow, thats a change! The diving here is great, btw!

I was only able to go sunday, but I got a lot out of it. I spent the morning in a workshop on freediving and spearfishing given by Dave Hochman of Team Sporasub (Mares), and got some great pointers both on apnea training and on pithing and stringing techniques. In the afternoon, I caught a great presentation on the Bow Mariner, and then a look at a club diving east coast wrecks in the 60's and 70's.

The guy there Frank Copren was very helpful and recommended perhaps to sell the suit on ebay since the repairs would be expensive.

Frank is probably correct, but he is also the OS Systems sales rep for the Northeast so he does have an agenda and it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion on repair costs. Unless, of course, you really just want a new suit. :D

I have never personally needed to do any major repairs/alterations on my suit, but by most accounts the best guy around here for that sort of work is Ed at Diver's Cove in Essex, CT. Here is their site:

Divers Cove :: Home

Oh and welcome to RI! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom