• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bored, self quarantined, how many still use snorkels

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by 12th Man, Mar 21, 2020.

1. 12th Man

12th Man Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Cactus are like fire ants, you just can't win! My wife make prickly pear cactus jelly every year and she gets so many of the tiny cactus hairs in her fingers. She uses a lot of bad words sometimes!

Steve_C likes this.
  2. Ripley

Ripley DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Better a cactus than trying to transform a cat into a hairless Sphynx :eek:

J/K!

12th Man likes this.
  3. Rich Keller

Rich Keller Solo Diver

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I use mine when I go to the grocery store. I want to breath the air above all the other people.

4. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Here's a picture of me in the early/mid-eighties. I can barely see my snorkel in the picture. It just goes under my chin and behind my ear and it always stays out of the way.

Sam Miller III likes this.
  5. Steve_C

Steve_C Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Ah, the dangling console of the 80s. Wild times.

Catito and JamesBon92007 like this.
  6. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Well that’s PADI, and for OW.
    People are adult enough to come to their own conclusions later I’m sure.
    There seem to be all sorts of arbitrary rules in diving, doesn’t mean people have to adhere to them.

7. BRT

BRT Giant Squid

We have tried the roll up ones and they are too soft for actual use in bad conditions, like the conditions we anticipate needing them. An Oceanic Pocket Snorkel https://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-POCKET-Snorkel-Free-your/dp/B000KD3F04
    works well but they are sure proud of them!

UTscuba likes this.
  8. UTscuba

UTscuba Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    thanks, that's helpful.

I think the only time I'd ever use one would be in a heavy swell when I'd drifted too far for the boat to be able to see my SMB. I can swim on my back all day long, but trying to swim backwards and maintain direction is another matter, and it's much easier to swim face down and follow a compass bearing.

So something dependable but stowable was what I was looking for.

9. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    unfortunately the majority of PADI's "rules" have been adopted by the RSTC which means that all of the member agencies have to abide by them

Ripley likes this.
  10. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Aside from the snorkel survey, to help ease my boredom I just finished making a wrist compass using an old, cheap, wind-up dive watch, modified a $1.25 watch band compass so that it will actually probably be waterproof and made it so the bezel won't fall off when turned to where the dots line up, plus I'm trying to find my old, flooded G-Shock watch to see if the movement from my $2 Chinese Casio Clone movement will fit into it. Unfortunately, all of my equipment is in recently-maintained condition so I have nothing to rebuild or repair. I'm thinking about making a capillary depth gauge for the face of my SPG. Going to the Catalina Dive Park on the ferry doesn't seem like a good idea so maybe I'll try to remember where some of my old shore-dive spots are where I don't have to climb up and down very high cliffs (I'm getting to old for that). I have a new cold-water wet suit that I haven't even used yet so maybe it's time. But, of course, since I started flying to warm, tropical dive destinations several years ago I somehow find the cold water less appealing. :wink: I just bought a new, almost free DGX mask that I'm kinda anxious to try out so maybe I'll put on my wetsuit and go diving in my swimming pool.

Catito likes this.