Bored, self quarantined, how many still use snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do, I beach dive with kelp.
I snorkel out to the drop zone and can navigate through the kelp much easier whilst snorkeling looking down and forward. I’ll pick a path through clearings or push the kelp aside and move on. It’s a lot easier and less entanglement than laying on my back and having kelp wrap around my tank valve. Having kelp wrapped around your tank valve is a total pain in the ass, you should try it one time and it will make perfect sense why people in my area still use snorkels. I’ve had one attached to my mask now for so long I don’t even notice it.
Yes, read - IN MY AREA. If I was diving in a quarry, lake, cave, off a boat, tropics, etc. then no I would not use a snorkel.
“Save that precious air for diving, not surface swimming”, said my favorite instructor.
I see no need to detach it and stow it.
One thing about where I dive, if anything is loose or could come loose the ocean will take it. Everything is set up the way it’s set up for a reason. The ocean has claimed computers, more dive knives than I care to remember, compasses, slates, lights, spear guns, fins, you name it. It has never claimed a snorkel that was securely attached to my mask.

and it's your divers in your area that are the reason they are REQUIRED equipment for ALL basic diver training... uggh

I 100% agree with using them in that environment, but it's ridiculous they're mandatory because of it

OK, I'm bored out my mind. Can't binge watch much more TV. Question, other than snorkeling, how many still use a snorkel when diving? For me, it's probably been ten years or more since I've attached my snorkel to my mask strap while diving. Just haven't seen a need for it. Actual if I'm honest I don't even know where it is.

Anyone still use there's when diving?
Yeah I use it every day cause i'm teaching students.. but it does come in handy at times with out students..

Haven't used a snorkel in years, and when I visited Oz about five years ago I got by informing the dive ops that I had a foldable one in my pocket.

On the surface with a wing I can easily swim on my back anyway even in rough seas.

if you are shore diving a lot, then it's probably worth keeping one with you. Doesn't have to be fold up though, you can get creative with how yo ustore them. In a bp/w I've stored them like a backup light. Clipped to the left shoulder d-ring from the mouthpiece side with a bolt snap and then a piece of bungee or innertube to keep it locked to the shoulder strap while I'm diving. Easy to deploy when I want it

TB...

I used to have a Sherwood AVID folding snorkel...it was really too bad it didn't work as good as it looked...

The corrugations on the ''pull-out'' tube were too sharp and if it flooded the snorkel would not clear...you had to remove the mouth-piece...let the tube point down so it would drain...and put the mouth-piece back in your mouth...which totally defeated the purpose in the first place...

I never had a Sherwood AVID BCD...but for those who did own one...it had a small pocket with a Velcro flap...this pocket was actually there to store the AVID folding snorkel...

It was another one of those ''fabulous''...''gotta have'' dive accessories...that didn't work...

W.M...

folding snorkel.jpg
folding snorkel 2.jpg

I can't tell the last time I've found the need to use one. Even when it's really rough. I've always worn one, but then realised that I do not use it, so a little over a year ago I took it off and now carry one in a pocket.
If it's rough and I have to swim to the boat I just dip back under a few feet and swim over. I find that way more easier. I just follow those on the surface struggling with the waves and swells. :) I always end the dive with more than sufficient air in the tank.

and it's your divers in your area that are the reason they are REQUIRED equipment for ALL basic diver training... uggh

I 100% agree with using them in that environment, but it's ridiculous they're mandatory because of it
Yeah, sorry about that. But think about where most or all American dive agencies originated and you have your answer. They should probably update their regional protocols.
I can see where some or the hatred comes from for snorkels when you see some of these gigantic contraptions with big purge funnels hanging off the bottom and big ball valves on top with corrugated section hoses. The things look like some sort of exhaust system from under my car!
I just use a very simple and streamlined freediving snorkel that is a straight tube with no purge valves or corrugated sections. It makes for easy clearing. The tube is smooth inside with no places for water to get hung up and no mushroom valves that can fail. The only possible difficulty is doing a hog looped long hose, I’ve done it but I just had to be mindful that when I undo the wrapped hose there was a snorkel there. I’ve since gone to a 40” hose under my arm with a swivel for my primary so there is no more wrapped hose.
Like I said, in a wreck cave pond quarry clean open water boat dive, no snorkel.
Right now off our coast all the kelp is gone so snorkeling out to the drop zone is optional. I still prefer to snorkel face down for long surface swimming regardless because it’s more efficient face down on my smooth side rather that on my back back dragging the tank and wing through the water.
When I was heavily into double hose diving a snorkel was mandatory for surface swimming because I had to be face down otherwise the reg would freeflow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom