Bora Bora- Where do we stay and who do we dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tressamb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Husband and I are looking for a trip in August to Bora Bora. We have narrowed it down to Four Seasons, St. Regis, Hilton and Pearl....do you suggest any of those over the other and why? Are we stuck with a dive operator if we stay at one of those properties? Who should we use as a dive Operator?
Thank you!

The four seasons, the regis are all in the same class, the hilton and the pearl aren't right? If money is no object it would be the regis wouldn't it? We stayed at the intercontinetal thallaso which is just down the motu from the regis and four seasons and is one level below, the views from any of these 3 resorts are the to die for bora bora views of legend.

If you're staying at a 5 star resort I'd just stick with the house op. The diving in Bora Bora isn't the end all dive destination anyways, I'd think if you were staying at a 5 star resort as you're contemplating the diving is secondary anyways

Last edited:
I spent one night at the St Regis then changed as I like the Pearl Resorts and wasnt made to feel like a leper for not having a husband in tow, the St Regis insisted I must have lost my husband en route :D . All the resorts will default to Topdive who IMO are the worst option and bora bora diving is pretty average. Ask whichever resort you choose to ring Robyn at Viapate Pier who does all the cruise ship bookings if they are affiliated with topdive and see if she can get you a booking to dive with Yvan at Bora Diving Centre. Everyone knows Robyn and she will give you great service.

Thanks Wingy and Mike. We are going to dive most days, so if the diving in Tahiti isn't so great....I may contemplate another location. We were considering Maldives, but Bora Bora was closer and not such a haul to get to to. The Resort matters but I'm not planning on only being at the resort....we will be getting out and hiking, etc. So while we want an awesome view and over water room, We are going there to dive. It's just that we spend 4 hours underwater and several more above at the hotel :D
I have read horrible things about TopDive here on the forums, so we won't go with them. We do want to see the sharks and mantas..and all the mags and websites say that Bora Bora is the place to go?
Mike, so why do you say Bora Bora isn't great diving? Just wondering about that comment?
Thank you for the refer all Lori! I have pulled up some good reviews on Bora Dive! They are on the list. :)

Tressamb you are in the right neck of the woods but the wrong island for diving - French Polynesia has amazing diving at Rangiroa and Fakarava in the tuomoto archipeligo, an hour (from memory) flight from Bora Bora will have you in dive heaven. You will see sharks and mantas on every dive (well, i did and its common) in the tuomotos. Bora Bora diving is pretty underwhelming lots of dead coral from the cyclone and too many cruise ships day trippers. Serious divers go to Rangi and Fakarava. I would say go for it, spend a five days in bora bora (theres not actually that much to do in bora bora unless you like the thought of a lagoonarium tour with netted off rays and a few sharks) but sit and congratulate yourself on making it there and appreciate the sunset, the sunrise and the milky way. Have a meal at Bloody Marys then go to Rangi or Fakarava for four days on Air Tahiti not Air Tahiti Nui...you can grab an Island pass that will get you from Tahiti to BB to Rangi to Fakarava (just watch which days planes fly to where..the reverse order works better).

You wont regret going to bora bora, because, its bora bora and it really is beautiful...but you would regret diving Rangi and/or Fakarava if you didnt while you were in the neighbourhood. Have a look on youtube an you will understand why :)

thanks Wingy! That's exactly what I needed to know! Suggestions on where to stay?

Stay at Pensione Tiena and Marie for $65 a night with breakfast and dinner of lobster in huge trays included, basic but everything you need chalets and you really get a feel of the polynesian way of life with Marie and her family and I would highly recommend diving with Frank at Rangiroa Paradive. I personally like diving with French Ops so a little french is handy although Franks english is quite good. 6 passengers also gets good reviews. Kia Ora hotel gets iffy reviews but is your luxury option in Rangiroa if you choose to go for the resort spa type deal. Unfortunately I didnt get to Fakarava last trip due to an engine fire on takeoff on one of Air Tahiti s planes....which gives me a reason to go back and stay with Marie again. There are other pensiones - Josephine La Relaixe (sp?) is another popular choice but for my money - Marie every time and diving with Frank at Rangiroa Paradive is my idea of bliss.

We do want to see the sharks and mantas..and all the mags and websites say that Bora Bora is the place to go?
Mike, so why do you say Bora Bora isn't great diving? Just wondering about that comment?

Bora Bora is outrageously beautiful, it's non stop... "oh my god...", "wow"...we hiked on the island in Bora Bora, sniffed out one of the local hikes to an old WWII gun emplacement that ended up being the to die for overlook back to the resort.

But like Wingy said for diving it's - Rangiroa / Fakarava!!!

We dived with six passengers in Rangiroa - stayed at the Kia Ora in walled private villa with own pool and also the over water bungalos which were almost as nice as the one we stayed at in Bora Bora

Here are some home movies of Rangiroa diving with six passengers if you're interested --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxfBFvnVGE

dolphins, sharks, mantas, you can see some footage of the kia ora, and over water bungalos toward the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7bBzrBGQ0o

Go to Bora Bora for the beauty and the experience and go to Rangi or Fakarava for the diving

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom