Bora Bora- Where do we stay and who do we dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove Bora Bora for two days while on a cruise, including a night dive. I found the diving to actually be pretty spectacular. We also dived in Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Rangiroa, and Raiatea. Maybe we needed more time on Rangiroa than one day, but other than having a blast flying in Tiputa Pass, I didn't find the diving any better than Tahiti or Bora Bora. I had one of the best (and scariest) night dives in Raiatea, and Huahine had terrible visibility. Moorea was great for fish and sharks, but the coral is in bad shape.

Absolutely agree with the recommendation for Rangiroa/Fakarava! We did a two week tour of that part of the ocean, and most of the diving was so-so, but Rangiroa was utterly magical. We dove with Top Dive there (and Top Dive is NOT the same from place to place, believe me) and had a very good experience, although the guide who was a big part of it has since moved on to Fakarava.

I'll add my voice to the chorus, Bora Bora is NOT a place to go diving. It is a place to enjoy diving if you are there for another reason. Every other island of the Iles Sous le Vent have better diving than BB.

For a "dive trip", the Tuamotus are the platinum standard, with world class diving, today. I've added the "today" because a number of former top world sites are no longer what they once were. You will not be disappointed with any of the Tuamotus over a week of diving; only left wondering what spectaculars you missed on the other atolls.

Getting to the Tuamotus is just as easy as to BB, same Air Tahiti Iti connection from Papeete same 45-60min flight.

Bora Bora is outrageously beautiful, it's non stop... "oh my god...", "wow"...we hiked on the island in Bora Bora, sniffed out one of the local hikes to an old WWII gun emplacement that ended up being the to die for overlook back to the resort.

But like Wingy said for diving it's - Rangiroa / Fakarava!!!

We dived with six passengers in Rangiroa - stayed at the Kia Ora in walled private villa with own pool and also the over water bungalos which were almost as nice as the one we stayed at in Bora Bora

Here are some home movies of Rangiroa diving with six passengers if you're interested --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxfBFvnVGE

dolphins, sharks, mantas, you can see some footage of the kia ora, and over water bungalos toward the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7bBzrBGQ0o

Go to Bora Bora for the beauty and the experience and go to Rangi or Fakarava for the diving

I switched the videos to direct links. I don't youtube likes my music choices

- I missed recording a lot of the sharks and mantas on our dives, there were a lot more than is in the videos, but I had a brand new camera and it was a steep learning curve so I missed a lot of stuff...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom