boot question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are going to bonaire in april and i know that we need boots to shore
dive but is neoprene socks would do the job or bottom is to rough ??

thanks for your input

Never been to Bonaire but have shore dived. Buy the boots, not the socks. Boots will let you walk on all types of surfaces while socks will not. Also boots are much more comfortable with open heel fins than socks would be. If you are using full foot fins you should reconsider them as they will be near useless in currents.

At most sites the entry is coral rubble and sharp ironstone. Unless you are only diving from piers at resorts or at a few selected spots you will be happier with something with a more rugged sole. For good info on entries and exits you might want to check out www.bsdme.info.

Hard sole boots are a must IMO. Maybe this picture will help. This is Alice In Wonderland, a typical shore entry on Boniare. Some are easier but others are worst.

That picture reminds me of my last dive when in Bonaire last year (it was at Alice in Wonderland). Major PBD moment....................... Thankfully I'll be back in early May!

ams511:
Never been to Bonaire but have shore dived. Buy the boots, not the socks. Boots will let you walk on all types of surfaces while socks will not. Also boots are much more comfortable with open heel fins than socks would be. If you are using full foot fins you should reconsider them as they will be near useless in currents.
I have been to Bonaire, but that's beside the point since I'm not questioning your claim about boots and shore diving. Boots and full-foot fins obviously don't match.

But why do you believe full-foot fins are near useless in currents?

I've sorta asked this same question once before, but was a little confused by the answers here and the answers I got...

By "hard sole booties" you mean those neoprean boots that have a semi flexable plastic sole on them right? Or are you talking more about like DUI Rock Boots ???

I have used Henderson 3 mil Gold Core bootie with no problems. They have a thick enough sole to keep the sharp points out of my feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom