Boot for pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Parker:
Get a life.

Dude, all I'm saying is unless you've taken the class or are a GUE instructor, you don't have any business saying what the official word is. If you take the class with a boot on your SPG, you'll get a polite discussion about why it is a completely useless piece of gear. You can choose to accept it, or not, but you won't see an DIR diver with a boot on their pressure gauge.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch, Skip.

Soggy:
Dude, all I'm saying is unless you've taken the class or are a GUE instructor, you don't have any business saying what the official word is.

Well the official word I quoted is from JJ on DIRQuest. Why would you assume I have not taken a class?

Soggy:
You can choose to accept it, or not, but you won't see an DIR diver with a boot on their pressure gauge.

I also never said I use a boot. Just the quote. Don't take SB as the DIR authority. Most of the "DIR" divers here think hose protectors are verboten as well...

Skip Parker:
Well the official word I quoted is from JJ on DIRQuest.

Perhaps you could quote the rest of the post so we can have some sense of what the context of the "official word" is that you posted.

Also, regardless of whether there is an "official word" on if a boot is DIR or not, there are clearly many more reasons why not to use them vs why to use them. Speaking from a minimalist perspective, if it isn't needed underwater, don't bring it. It isn't needed, and in most cases is a detriment, thus it doesn't belong on a rig.

Why would you assume I have not taken a class?

Have you?

I also never said I use a boot. Just the quote. Don't take SB as the DIR authority. Most of the "DIR" divers here think hose protectors are verboten as well...

I don't take SB as the DIR authority....quite the opposite. If I have a question, I'll ask an instructor. Hose protectors are up for debate, too....The fundies book supports them, but it all depends on how your hose routing works out whether or not they are usable.

I would also think that an adult (I'm assuming here, also) would have a higher level of maturity than to respond with "Get a life" when all I did was suggest that this would be covered in a class.

mer:
I haven't seen your trim, so I can't comment. :D

Seriously guys, this is pretty basic... we are in the DIR forum. To be philosophy compliant we do not take anything we do not need UNDERWATER.

I use a coosie to protect my HID above water, I don't bring it with me. If you want to protect your SPG above water, but the boot on, or put it in a padding case. But leave that stuff on the boat. If you can manage to bang you spg on something underwater with enough force to break it, that's probably one of your lesser problems.

Not only the best reply, but the most reasonable. Nice, clean explanation.

Skip Parker:
Well the official word I quoted is from JJ on DIRQuest. Why would you assume I have not taken a class?

I knew you had never taken a class, because the first think a DIR instructor does when he/she looks at your equipment is to cut off any boots on any guages. If you had taken the class, I doubt you would have forgotten this.

I found a great use for a boot...

An out of focus picture and a funky boot kept the bids down on an "SPG"...for a great price I got a never used psi Master Diver!

Hells Bells 27 replies on whether 'too or not' fit a rubber boot on an SPG.

IMHO brass is not as strong as a set of full twin tanks and if the two should meet rubber boot or not the guage will fail. You need to figure whether having a boot on with give more protection in the in between clashes. IE two sets of twins placed together with your spg between the two.

Dear DIR fourm there are large grey clouds near my house would it be appropriate to take an umbrella with me today.

It would seem to me that using a boot to prevent your SPG from being crushed by your tanks doesn't address the root problem, which is why your SPG was in a position to be crushed in the first place.

In addition to falling into the category of "solution in search of a problem" for the reasons set forth in the prior posts, one other reason to avoid using boots is that a boot can prevent a diver from noticing a champagne leak from bad swivel pin or the like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom