Boot for pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received my OMS pressure guage (in 100 psi increments)
and it came it a rubber/plastic boot to fit around the brass gauge. The GUE trained people I dive with (I haven't taken DIR-F yet, but plan on doing it shortly) do not use the protective boot. Can someone explain why?

Mel

melfox26:
I just received my OMS pressure guage (in 100 psi increments)
and it came it a rubber/plastic boot to fit around the brass gauge. The GUE trained people I dive with (I haven't taken DIR-F yet, but plan on doing it shortly) do not use the protective boot. Can someone explain why?

Mel
Traps salt and sand.
Doesn't allow you to inspect and properly clean the gauge.
Promotes corrosion.
Not really needed, so why bring it?

Also, make sure the OEM HP hose isn't too long.

Stop the gauge glass from cracking if you drop the gauge and it swings down and slam into the side of your tank.

Had that happen. I still don't use the boot, but it was a moderatly expencive lesson in how to treat your gear. :)

The boot can be slipped off the guage, enabling the gauge to be rinsed. Why use it?? Protection, we all know rubber protects.........oh, also an easy way to clip it of since there is a moulded hook on the boot. Why not use it??? The SPG can unscrew and you wouldn't know.

ShakaZulu:
The boot can be slipped off the guage, enabling the gauge to be rinsed. Why use it?? Protection, we all know rubber protects.........oh, also an easy way to clip it of since there is a moulded hook on the boot.
Okay, then the bigger profile of any piece of gear, the more drag.

And drag is bad. When you are perfectly horizontal in the water, you notice all the little things that cause drag, if you're not horizontal it's a moot point.

ShakaZulu:
The boot can be slipped off the guage, enabling the gauge to be rinsed. Why use it?? Protection, we all know rubber protects.........oh, also an easy way to clip it of since there is a moulded hook on the boot.

Good luck just "slipping off" a the hard rubber boot that comes with the OMS brass and glass gauge. Plus, it's made of brass...not much protection is needed.

Clipping it off is actually easier without a useless boot...you tie a bolt snap to it around one of the grooves.

Because it's fun to see the looks on peoples faces when they wonder what that thing is that's nailed to that tree! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom