Books screws necessary or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my first BPW, a HOG Total Control Buoyancy System, with the soft backplate. I have not had a chance to dive with it yet. The book screws on the plate and wing are annoying, at the least. I have read different opinions on whether they are actually necessary and/or convenient.

Dive Gear Express writes this on their site: "Plastic screws can be used to attach the wing directly to a hard metal backplate when rigged for a single tank without a STA. However, their function is just cosmetic; omitting the assembly screws does not cause a problem. Without the assembly screws, when the BPW is taken off a single tank, the wing will just hang loose on the cam straps. Adding the screws creates two small high spots that prevent the cylinder from being tight against backplate and allow the assembly to rock slightly by pivoting on the heads of the screws. Even worse, if the screws are metal they are also subject to galvanic action and cause wear on materials rubbing against them which can damage the surface of the tank and encourage corrosion. The modern plate, wing and cylinder assembly will be more stable and secure by omitting the book screws."

What do you think?

DGX is correct in that the screws are not necessary. However, without the screws, it's significantly more annoying to assemble, since the wing can move around independently until the cam bands are tight. I didn't personally notice any difference in stability after adding the screws.

Recommend you get a couple of extra sets of the plastic screws since they break pretty easily.

DGX is correct in that the screws are not necessary. However, without the screws, it's significantly more annoying to assemble, since the wing can move around independently until the cam bands are tight. I didn't personally notice any difference in stability after adding the screws.

Recommend you get a couple of extra sets of the plastic screws since they break pretty easily.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

The book screws do make tank changes easier on a rocking boat. I eventually went to an STA which also bolts everything together. My gripe with book screws is that they stick out right at the tangent point of the tank so even with stabilizers on the wing the tank doesn’t naturally want to clamp down square because it rides right on top of those screws. I have used the low profile plastics ones as well. Some people don’t like an STA because it shifts the tank slightly further away, but I’ve found that to be very minimal and tank changes are now a breeze as everything is still bolted together and the tank naturally squares up.

I like the plastic book screws, and the tank is rock steady. Perhaps the roll bars on my wing elevate the tank just enough?

I like the plastic book screws, and the tank is rock steady. Perhaps the roll bars on my wing elevate the tank just enough?
Well, that is the concept and why we shouldn't need an STA.

Though depending on the tank's diameter, it may still sit at an angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom