Bookmark UserCP as your window to return to SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know how others do this, but this seems so logical to me that I'm surprised that it may not be common usage among members. I bookmark UserCP, or add to Favorites, so that when I return to SB - or log onto SB if you ever log out, I never do - I always enter there.

My fist glance shows me if I have PMs waiting (even with PM Pop-up enabled, I like this) and my Subscribed Threads with posts since I was on last...

UserCP_above.JPG

Then, if none - or none I want to visit, I scroll down to review my Subcribed Forums. Or once I finish with one Subscribed Thread, I always return to UserCP to review others, or to scroll down...

UserCP_below.JPG

So, how do others deal with this....?? :14:

I had never clicked the "Forum Tools" and caught the "Subscribe to This Forum" option. That made my day. :D

I always enter ScubaBoard through User CP (even when I type the URL, would you believe it). Once I'm there, I control-click all the way down the list of updated subscribed threads -- that's Firefox-style for "open in new tab", so I end up with each thread on its own tab. I can then read through each tab, closing it when I'm done (control-F4 or the X), and the next thread is right there waiting. (When I'm on a slow connection, this is wonderful, as I never have to wait for the next click to load.)

(After I finish the threads, I do the same with my usual selection of forums.)

Figured I should add a picture, too... :D

Oh, and I do have one other trick...

Under User CP, on the Edit Options page, at the very bottom is the "Exclude Forums from 'Get New Posts'" box. I select *all* the forums (click the first [after "None"], scroll the box, hold shift, click the last), and then I go back and unselect (Control-click) the few forums that I only slightly care about.

The "New Posts" link at the top of the page then becomes my "...in other news..." link. All the forums I read thoroughly are in my subscribed forums list on User CP, but the ones (like some of the marketplace forums) that I don't really care about but still want to keep a cursory watch over (just in case there's something really good) are all bundled up together in the New Posts link.

Attachments

• SubcribeToForum.gif
    SubcribeToForum.gif
    81.8 KB · Views: 40
Why? I rarely go to my CP. I have the forums page in favorites. If I have PMs, I'll get a pop up window. Even without the pop up, the status of PMs is toward the top of every page. I then click on new posts and I have everything I need. I never suscribe to threads/forums.

I have a folder of SB bookmarks. Usually, depending on time I have available to squander, I go to User CP or New Posts. Sometimes I go to Gear if I'm itchin' to spend money on more crap I don't really need, or Texas to catch any newcomers and local events. I'll go to Florida or Cozumel (or other) if I have an upcoming trip there. Yeah, New Posts would catch it all but more likely I'll overlook something and it can be overwhelming if I've been away for more than a day. This is an active board.

I like to come to the main SB screen and link to my CP. If I go straight to the UserCP I feel like I missed something. It's a like a "welcome back". It may be a few extra clicks, but it just....feels right.

Walter:
That's the way I do it also, Walter. It's a roundup of all the important stuff for me:pMs, Subscribed threads & Subscribed Forums. When I take a new user on a tour, I always bookmark their UserCP for them and simply mark it "ScubaBoard".

I'm fond of stuff like this URL:
Code:
http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=423,477,25,471,472,57,324,473,474,245&do=getdaily&days=5
This one will show me all posts in the European (sub)forums in the last five days.

NetDoc:
That's the way I do it also, Walter. It's a roundup of all the important stuff for me:pMs, Subscribed threads & Subscribed Forums. When I take a new user on a tour, I always bookmark their UserCP for them and simply mark it "ScubaBoard".
Thanks! I was speaking one amateur computer fumbler to another - maybe I should have specified this in post 1? Nice to see my suggestion validated by the best.

El Orans has the best tools, of course - but kinda beyond me sometimes. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom