Booking through PADI travel worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annie Shaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My cruise to the Bahamas just got cancelled for the 2nd year in a row and I am thinking about just cutting my losses and going on a dive trip to Cozumel. I am certified within the last year but went diving in Cozumel before that. I know you can book travel with PADI and I'm curious if it's really a money saver or if there is any particular advantage. Is it generally cheaper to book dives ahead of time, or is the price pretty much the same regardless? Novice question also, if I go for 7 days, it says I get 10 boat dives. Are you generally doing 2 dives a day? I know it's supposed to be diving trip but I'm a little worried I won't have the stamina and will want to relax more at the hotel beach and snorkel. Went to Cozumel Place 3 years ago but I don't think I can afford it this time. Want AI for convenience but I honestly don't care too much that much about gourmet food. Was thinking the Allegro is in my price point.

I've used PADI Travel when I have gone to Indonesia or for Liveaboards, but for Cozumel, not really necessary. Just you can compare prices for AI for what you would pay on Orbitz, CheapCarrib or whatever site you prefer. Then add on the diving cost.

The standard in Cozumel is 2 dives per day, in the morning. Dive, surface interval, dive, back at resort by 1 pm or so for plenty of beach time and relaxing.

With the number of dive ops in Coz, you can customize your trip anyway you want. You will usually pay between 70-90 for 2 dives on the budget ops and 110-130 on the ``valet'' ops. The list of different ops and info on this site is endless. But if you want to take days off in-between or do less dives, you always can. (edit- another member just posted a massive spreadsheet comparing the ops).

People will also endlessly debate the AI vs in-town hotel options. I have stayed at Iberostar, Secrets, Sabor and in-town. If you prefer a beach and AI, any of those three are solid. Sabor can be hit or miss on the food, but I have never gone hungry and they have a great beach (with solid snorkling) at a budget price. Sometimes you can get a good price on Secrets. Its not as luxurious as most Secrets, but its a good balance between Palace and Sabor, Allegro and the other family AIs.

Which of the AI's you mentioned has a non-rocky ocean beach entry??

Sabor and Secrets beach entry has never bothered me. Some areas have ``rock'' but once you are past knee deep its fine and I like the crystal clear water that iron-shore provides. Iberostar has a nice pier with huge steps to walk right past the rocks and into the water.

Sandy beach entry and good close in snorkeling and diving are at least somewhat mutually exclusive unless the easy entry is man made.

We're booked for a Coz trip next month through PADI travel. if the 10 dives is a concern, it allowed me to change that up or down before i completed the booking.

My cruise to the Bahamas just got cancelled for the 2nd year in a row and I am thinking about just cutting my losses and going on a dive trip to Cozumel.

I love the idea that "cutting your losses" means a trip to Coz. I'm going to adopt your outlook on life... and work on cutting my losses more often.

I know you can book travel with PADI and I'm curious if it's really a money saver or if there is any particular advantage.

Booking directly with dive shops, most of which can also arrange a package deal for lodging, is pretty simple and effective. I'm not sure if PADI travel offers an advantage, as I've never booked through them. But it's likely you can check out the comparative trip directly from the operator (dive shop, resort, etc) and if there is a difference in price you can decide if it's worth it.

Is it generally cheaper to book dives ahead of time, or is the price pretty much the same regardless?

I'm going to say "pretty much the same, regardless." By that I mean if you reserve 5 days of diving, one dive trip each day, in advance, you will often get a "package price" for those five days. If instead you show up, dive one day and then the next and the next... for five days... you will usually also get the package price.

If I'm going for a week (as I am next week) I typically book in advance one two-tank trip each day. I think this gives the dive shop a plan to work with, and they understand the plan could be modified as the week progresses... some days we'll add an afternoon or evening dive trip, or another day some in our group might have to sit out a day of diving. Every shop I've dived with in Cozumel seems to understand this and has been very accommodating... charging me at the end of the week for the diving we did.

Novice question also, if I go for 7 days, it says I get 10 boat dives. Are you generally doing 2 dives a day?

Probably arrive the first day, dive for five days, leave on the 7th day... 7 days/six nights, one dive trip each day for the middle five days.

I know it's supposed to be diving trip but I'm a little worried I won't have the stamina and will want to relax more at the hotel beach and snorkel.

Cozumel diving is pretty relaxing... drifting along, enjoying the scenery. Snorkeling might be more work. And after your first day of diving you'll likely re-evaluate any desire to snorkel anyway.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction (i.e. to Cozumel.) You'll have a great time, and you'll be well taken care of, regardless of who you book through.

I haven't looked at Padi Travel packages for Coz but most agencies have stricter cancellation deadlines and penalties than most places in Coz. That alone would steer me to booking direct. And seems it would be harder to deviate from the booked items.

Similar to yle above, when we dive with Scuba Shack we play it be ear each day and pay at the end based on the best package that fits. With Padi Travel, if you dive more than booked you'll have to dig up some more dollars and if you dive less, it might be hard to claw money back from them.

I looked up May 15-22. Below is the Padi cancellation policy. Un contrast, booking on Orbitz says fully refundable until May 14 (day before arrival).
Cancellation fee

Free cancellation for 48h after confirmation
15.0% if the total booking amount will be charged if you cancel more than 10 days prior to arrival
100.0% will be charged if you cancel less than 10 days prior to arrival

I don't think you can book the diving on orbitz but no problem doing that directly. You're also more limited in diving options. They book with the house dive op versus you can book directly with any op.

Thank you all. We're booked for Cozumel this summer, yay! Didn't end up going through PADI cause it was more expensive even after you subtracted all the dives. Glad to know from your comments that cost is about the same whether you prebook dives or buy them there.

Back
Top Bottom