book to recomend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have found that the books on CCR diving techniques are few and far between. Even the books supplied as course material is lacking in a lot of specific detail. Seems that the lecture content isn’t published publicly, for example the specifics of bailout planning or failure reactions, neither of which are unit specific.

Maybe one reason for this is that much of the planning and in-water responses are often more like opinions as opposed to specific procedures. Also they vary according to the level of experience and dive severity— there’s a big difference between a MOD1 plan and issue responses than you’d see on a deep MOD3 or long overhead dive (e.g. bailout first and foremost on MOD1, but avoid for advanced diving).

Hence if you use a different instructor for post-MOD1 courses, there’ll be some discrepancies in your approach to fault finding and resolutions than that instructor may require.

Happy to give another strong recommendation for Mel Clark's talents.

Would love a book recommendation on the subject to review basic concepts as. my. previous. experience is. really in no way related to ccr diving and. the. complexities envolved
I'd say the 2nd edition of "Mastering Rebreathers" by Jeff Bozanic should be on the list.

And as mentioned before (though while not specific to CCR), also the 2nd edition of "Deeper into Diving" by Simon Mitchell. Excellent book that really helps to revisit physics and physiology specific to diving.

I think this book is worth the read and definitely covers the concepts well. There is not much that is outdated in the fundamentals. As mentioned the author is pretty well known as a great instructor and having read the book first I was well prepared for class.
We all have very varying opinions on the book and the instructor. I personally put both in the same category based on first hand knowledge. To each their own.

We all have very varying opinions on the book and the instructor. I personally put both in the same category based on first hand knowledge. To each their own.
From a practical standpoint I’m interested to know what you would update or change for a modern guide to rebreather diving. Without getting into personalities which is solely your personal preference, what are the items that you think are so drastically different for the MOD 1 diver that the book is “outdated”? There are certainly some new technologies but the principles of how to fly a rebreather are basically unchanged as far as I can tell. The book is training agency agnostic and not a buying guide or a discussion advanced controversies. I’ve read Jill Heinherths book too and I think it’s pretty good, but isn’t quite as clear.

Ha ha ha ha ha Jeff signed mine!

73 039a (2).JPG

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

My copy of Mel's was much less I wonder if they redid it and massively raised the price.

Not quite a book, but RAID has a lot of free content (FREe-Learning – Dive RAID International). I've read most of the tec/ccr manuals and found them to be enjoyable. Deco for Divers by Mark Powell is also an excellent read--it's not CCR specific, but still relevant. I've had to put off MOD 1 due to some unexpected home expenses, but will be joining Club Mel as soon as my scuba fund replenishes.

It's been a minute but I think I've read this one and recall it being basic but helpful.

The Basics of Rebreather Diving: Beyond SCUBA to Explore the Underwater World (Jill's Guides) Paperback – December 17, 2013​

by Jill Heinerth (Author), Robert McClellan (Editor), Richie Kohler (Introduction)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom