Bonaire with new teen diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my son to Bonaire at 10 years old. He got certified did a few local dives then Bonaire. It’s perfect for a new young diver. All shore dives you control the depth and time. You don’t have to do the dive the the boat is doing or worry about other diver on the boat wanting to go to a deeper site.

I'll echo the calls for key largo...

-American soil... that helps with insurance if needed. Also, American food if you have a picky eater.
-Shallow boat dives... many sites have a hard bottom at 40' or less.
- Ample retail locations... just in case your daughter's new mask/ wetsuit/ fins don't fit quite as well as they did during a few shorter dives.

The boat dives on Bonaire to Klein and northern sites are also very easy and can be kept quite shallow. The dives on Bonaire are in a different class than the shallow reefs in Key Largo

The boat dives on Bonaire to Klein and northern sites are also very easy and can be kept quite shallow. The dives on Bonaire are in a different class than the shallow reefs in Key Largo

Just to clarify, do you mean the reefs are higher quality or different in some other manner?

Yes, the reefs are of considerably higher quality as is the sea life. Sorry I was not more explicit, thought it would be understood.

Thanks. I understood but just wanted to check. Ive been considering a trip the Keys.

Bonaire and Curaçao both great choices for new diver. Easy entry no-stress shore dives. Lots of professional, helpful shops to choose from. There are some shore dives that have more challenging entries, but you don’t need to do them. And I would guess that a teenager would handle them better than most adults. Curaçao has more of a beach scene (tiki bars, restaurants on the beach) if that matters. Both are on the expensive side, especially air fare. The Keys are great for wreck diving, cheaper and closer than Bonaire and Curacao, but I would favor the latter for what you want.

Cocoview is good if you want to bore the crap out of her when not in the water. Anthony's Key is a little better since they have dolphin programs and a pool. Barefoot Cay is more upscale. All 3 are pretty isolated though except the West End is 10mins from AKR. None have a great beach either - too many sand flies and they bite hard. Roatan flights are more but everything else is a lot cheaper than anywhere else in the Carib Dives are all boat dives unless you stay at one of the 4-5 AI resorts with a shore dive out front. We paid $30/dive - I understand it's $35 now.A new diverwould see a lot above 60' also except the deep wrecks near AKR. They also have a dolphin program for guests or visitors - one dive on a sandy bottom at about 60'. around $140pp now afaik. R.I.M.S. also has a dolphin trainer for the day program for kids.
I do not think cocoview will accept kids as guest.

Back
Top Bottom