Bonaire Wannadive- is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a conversation I have been having with Wannadive company in Bonnaire.

Is it just me? This is coming from a supposedly professional dive shop!

They are telling me they have a RULE that says I can't use a pony tank!!!!!

I hate to get upset with people on my trip before I even go on the trip!

Message trail below.....

I am sorry you find it not a good answer.
But the rule is here that when you don't have air left you always take the air of your buddy.
Thats why you can bring it with you but you can't use it.
But it's your choise.
What we don't have we don't rent.

Kind regards,
Nicole
----- Original Message -----
To: Wannadive Bonaire
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: information request from Wannadive.com

Thank you for the response Nicole, but I really don't think this is a good response.
It is after all up to each individual to decide what they need for diving gear and I prefer to dive with a pony tank. I'm sorry to hear that your company cannot provide for this simple request. I will perhaps bring my own.

Regards,

John Chaplain

-------------- Original message --------------

Hi John.

We don't rent this pony tanks, because the rule is here that you always dive with a buddy. So you won't need one.

Kind regards,
Nicole

- when responding to this email, please include previous message in your reply for your and our convenience -

Wannadive Bonaire
Kaya Dialma 11
Kralendijk, Bonaire N.A.
Tel. +599-717 8850
Fax +599-717 3684
info@wannadive.com
Wannadive Bonaire - shoredive, boatdive, rental, a - welcome @ Wannadive
----- Original Message -----
To: info@wannadive.com
Cc: johnchaplain@xxxxxxxxxx.net
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:37 PM
Subject: information request from Wannadive.com

name: John Chaplain email address: johnchaplain@xxxxxxx.net

I was wondering what the cost would be for a weekly rental of a 13 or 19 cu ft pony tank when I am there the week of May 4-10. Please advise. Thank You.

message sent at: donderdag 3 april 2008

ditto, having been to Bonaire, I can't imagine any reason you would need a pony. The diving is very easy, and very little current except at the sites on the far south end of island. Since dive packages there are for unlimited shore diving, you don't have to sqeeze every ounce of air out of your tanks. You dive until you are low, surface and get another tank, and get back in the water.... your only restrictions are on your computer!
:D

ditto, having been to Bonaire, I can't imagine any reason you would need a pony. The diving is very easy, and very little current except at the sites on the far south end of island. Since dive packages there are for unlimited shore diving, you don't have to sqeeze every ounce of air out of your tanks. You dive until you are low, surface and get another tank, and get back in the water.... your only restrictions are on your computer!
:D

Many people prefer to dive with a pony tank as an emergency backup. I don't think it is so hard to imagine when a pony tank could be useful to have... do you really?

Many people prefer to dive with a pony tank as an emergency backup. I don't think it is so hard to imagine when a pony tank could be useful to have... do you really?

sorry, never wanted or needed one. My computer usually tells me its time to go up before I run that low on air. Especially in a place like Bonaire where you can always go shallower and practically drain the tank feet away from shore as the reefs are that close.

they probably don't have any to rent as they don't often get asked for them....if you really want one, you could contact Capt Don's to see if they can rent you one for the week (i think it was Capt Dons that caters a little for the more technical crowd so may have a deco bottle of sorts to rent )......you'll probably find you'll be the only person you see with a pony but if you feel more comfortable with it, go for it.

as robint stated - Bonaire is known for it's easy diving with plenty of stuff to see while "off-gassing" in the shallows at every dive site.

as robint stated - Bonaire is known for it's easy diving with plenty of stuff to see while "off-gassing" in the shallows at every dive site.

I know, I've been to Bonaire a few years ago for a week of diving, and I do understand that a pony is for the most part not needed, but at some sites like the Hilma Hooker at depths like 95 feet deep and at night I think a pony is a good idea.

My surprise and the real point of this post is that here we have a dive shop telling a customer that they are not allowed to use a pony tank! :mooner:
( this was not meant to be a discussion as to if one really needs a pony tank or not.)

I loved wannadive, course I never had this issue. Sounds to me like they are not well versed in the matter of pony tanks.

I don't use a pony but I accept there are good reasons for people to prefer one even in Bonaire, even while diving with a buddy, and especially with one they don't know. I don't see a problem with them not having them to rent, few places do. But if they're really telling you you can't dive with a pony I'd find that an unacceptable attempt to control your dive gear and look elsewhere if possible. I can guess what their justification is, probably the usual arguments that are made against ponies, but still seems a bit clueless on their part.

Captain Don's does come to mind as a place that has no inclination to tell you what to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom