Bonaire visibility issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finished 6 days of diving in Bonaire. I estimate viz varied from 50 -70 feet most places and got down to maybe 30 or so feet on one dive. I was there in January of this year and the first day of diving I had pretty typical visibility and it seemed to decrease as the week went on. Dive professionals on the island just seem to shrug it off saying they don't know what's up. Seems like there is a lot of particulate matter in the water. If memory serves historically viz has been easily 100 feet and more. Anyone know or care to speculate on this?

TIA
Mark

The car thief's are dumping crap in the water to hide what they are doing... I think they are using the Mayor's boat and the police chiefs motor to do it..:D

Jim...

First time I was there the vis was disappointing. I went in January and they had been having daily rain storms every day since September. Highly unusual. When I went back a couple years later in September the vis was great.

CuracaoJ, similar situation when I was in your vicinity in April. I'd accepted that the cool/cold upwellings were a factor from the two earthquakes that had occurred shortly before our arrival. Have there been more rumbles since March?

I suspect that it has a lot more to do with wind than rumbles, but I could easily be wrong. All I know is in 13 years here, I've never seen this for this length of time. It's cold and ****@y and I want my dive sites back!!!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom