Bonaire Trip Report and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the older trucks too, cause no one's going to notice a new dent or two on one of those puppies :D

I had one of those trucks that to my eye was pretty beat up. And I assumed the same thing. Then, when I returned it, the inspector got all focused on some indentation that I barely noticed and probably didn't think twice about when I did the pre-inspection. I know it was there beforehand because I certainly didn't do it. He went back inside to speak to the supervisor who apparently said don't worry about it. But if I went back, I would reccomend being very thorough in the pre-inspection and maybe even film it since most pocket cameras have that feature now.

I had one of those trucks that to my eye was pretty beat up. And I assumed the same thing. Then, when I returned it, the inspector got all focused on some indentation that I barely noticed and probably didn't think twice about when I did the pre-inspection. I know it was there beforehand because I certainly didn't do it. He went back inside to speak to the supervisor who apparently said don't worry about it. But if I went back, I would reccomend being very thorough in the pre-inspection and maybe even film it since most pocket cameras have that feature now.

Any time I rent a vehicle, anywhere, I do the walk around and point out any blemishes, even very minor. I love it when their sign out drawing then looks like it has chicken scratching all over it! :D Then I know I am protected! :wink:

Skin only on Bonaire for me!

Quit bringing a wet suit years ago, but after my son lost a battle with jellyfish, we did decide that just swim suits was over for us. 20-22 dives a week, day, night, skin works fine for all of us, except the gf, who gets cold real easy. She still does wet suit on most of her dives there, but not all.

I was there for the first winter trip, last Jan. "Winter" is not what I'd call it. Water was @81-82, air high 80'3, low 90's. Only real difference we experienced was more significant rainfall than June and July, where it's fairly uncommon.

Skin was plenty for me, but then, thanks to various Milwaukee products I may be better insulated than some other divers! :shakehead:

Not doing my annual trip to bonaire this year but when I return I am going to consider more resort type of places because of the gas siphoning thing. It really does bother me. Its the one threat that has been a constant in my Bonaire experience. But must also say have never personally had it happen to me but I know its real. Sometimes maybe more real than others.
Anyway its got me thinking which is never a good thing :)

Also always wear some kind of wetsuit/dive skin. Its more about protection from the sun and jellies than warmth. Maybe if you dive 4-6 times a day warmth could be the overriding factor. I don't do more than 3 a day. Must be aware that the sun is much stronger in the Caribbean! It why I also where a beanie type of thing--must protect the bald spot!!!
Bonaire such a great spot but the petty crime is a drag but I try not to think about that part until I am there.

On this board a guy in Oakland had all his gear stolen from his garage! It happens! Really check on a locking gas cap! 12.95! Cheap insurance!

Prospective visitors to Bonaire,[ especially divers contemplating doing shores dives from a rental vehicle ] you've read the thread and you heard from both sides. You can now make a well informed decision, based on what you've read in this thread, which was my goal - allow you to be better informed as to what to expect. Whether you think the risk is worth it is up to you, not the people that have a vested interest in Bonaire because they own rental property there or car agents or travel agents, or even me. You weigh it and decide. At least now you have a fuller, more honest evaluation.

For once we agree. I totally agree a perspective traveler to Bonaire or any other destinations for that matter should become informed about the real conditions at the place they intend to visit. In the case of Bonaire, find out the real risk to life and property are based on actual experience. Also take into consideration that a bad experience is more likely to result in many more postings than an enjoyable but uneventful experience. Many are heartfelt, real and unfortunate but just like any other activity in life; the odds of it happening have to be taken into consideration. For those who are unfortunate enough to be the victim of an incident be it crime or any other misfortune the event is horrendous no doubt and their perception of the odds of it happening are high but when judging the risk for yourself, the event needs to be taken in the proper context. We all face similar risk every day and on every dive trip. The plane may crash, we may get DCS, we may get hit by boats; all are real accidents that happen to people all the time, we just need to look at the odds for ourselves and determine if the risk is real, what measures can we take to minimize the risk and then determine to what level do we find the risk acceptable given the possible rewards, understanding that someone has to be that 1 in 1 million (or whatever the risk is) that has the misfortunate event. As a starting point for determining how much stock to place in an internet post, look to see how much actual experience the poster has with the activity in question, be it traveling to a specific location or doing deco diving- I would not take advice on deco diving from an OW diver. Take into account that those who have economic interest or other reasons to gain or profit from you visiting may wish to hide or obscure the truth, as well as those who may have some unspecified agenda to promote something other than an accurate representation of the real conditions. Instead, look to those who travel to the destination or participate regularly in the activity in question to determine for yourself how much credibility to place or not place in the poster. In this case those who post about travel to Bonaire. I personally judge the value of the information posted by an individual based on the actual amount of time, experience and training in the subject at hand. In dive travel, how much actual time at the destination in question do they have or are they basing their post and opinions on hearsay, second and third hand information from sources such as internet boards or friend of friends.

And in case anyone is wondering, as to my Bonaire experience, I have 14 trips for a total of 15 weeks since 1999. The groups I have been with or lead (13 of the 14) range in number from 2 to 24 and I am on Bonaire now working on trip 15. So far I have accrued around 500 person days (including myself and those in my group) with no issues at all. No gas stole, no gear taken, no tires stole and no trucks searched. I have no economic interest in the island. I do not own property and all of my trips are done for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. I do all the leg work but make NOTHING off the trips and rebate any discounts or comps to the group. I do most of the work and pay what everyone else in the group pays.

For once we agree. I totally agree a perspective traveler to Bonaire or any other destinations for that matter should become informed about the real conditions at the place they intend to visit. In the case of Bonaire, find out the real risk to life and property are based on actual experience. Also take into consideration that a bad experience is more likely to result in many more postings than an enjoyable but uneventful experience. Many are heartfelt, real and unfortunate but just like any other activity in life; the odds of it happening have to be taken into consideration. For those who are unfortunate enough to be the victim of an incident be it crime or any other misfortune the event is horrendous no doubt and their perception of the odds of it happening are high but when judging the risk for yourself, the event needs to be taken in the proper context. We all face similar risk every day and on every dive trip. The plane may crash, we may get DCS, we may get hit by boats; all are real accidents that happen to people all the time, we just need to look at the odds for ourselves and determine if the risk is real, what measures can we take to minimize the risk and then determine to what level do we find the risk acceptable given the possible rewards, understanding that someone has to be that 1 in 1 million (or whatever the risk is) that has the misfortunate event. As a starting point for determining how much stock to place in an internet post, look to see how much actual experience the poster has with the activity in question, be it traveling to a specific location or doing deco diving- I would not take advice on deco diving from an OW diver. Take into account that those who have economic interest or other reasons to gain or profit from you visiting may wish to hide or obscure the truth, as well as those who may have some unspecified agenda to promote something other than an accurate representation of the real conditions. Instead, look to those who travel to the destination or participate regularly in the activity in question to determine for yourself how much credibility to place or not place in the poster. In this case those who post about travel to Bonaire. I personally judge the value of the information posted by an individual based on the actual amount of time, experience and training in the subject at hand. In dive travel, how much actual time at the destination in question do they have or are they basing their post and opinions on hearsay, second and third hand information from sources such as internet boards or friend of friends.

And in case anyone is wondering, as to my Bonaire experience, I have 14 trips for a total of 15 weeks since 1999. The groups I have been with or lead (13 of the 14) range in number from 2 to 24 and I am on Bonaire now working on trip 15. So far I have accrued around 500 person days (including myself and those in my group) with no issues at all. No gas stole, no gear taken, no tires stole and no trucks searched. I have no economic interest in the island. I do not own property and all of my trips are done for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. I do all the leg work but make NOTHING off the trips and rebate any discounts or comps to the group. I do most of the work and pay what everyone else in the group pays.

As one who first discovered Bonaire threw an invitation to join one of Herman's group of friends I can testify that what he has said is true.

We have returned to Bonaire many times since that first experience with Herman and friends, both with Herman again, our local LDS, and now many times on our own. Never a problem, but as always we are alert to potential problems and never expose ourselve to undue risks, no matter where we are traveling.

@herman: Yes, there's something to be said for granting greater weight to the words of a SB poster who has a great deal of experience planning/executing Bonaire dive trips...but to ignore "newbie" trip reports to the island is short-sighted. I think you will agree that the incidence of crime (and type of crime) probably varies over time. I would think a prospective dive tourist would be interested in what has been happening on Bonaire over the last few weeks/months as opposed to how things were 15 years ago. This may or may not be something that a seasoned Bonaire veteran who makes an annual Bonaire trip has a handle on. For instance, three years ago I did not hear of any reports of gas-siphoning from rental trucks. The fact that the car rental companies are currently warning their customers about this is telling.

I fully agree that there is a "response bias" on trip reports posted to Internet forums. This should be considered when figuring out how much weight to give a Bonaire horror story on SB. It is entirely understandable that people would feel more compelled to post a trip report if they had a very negative or a very positive experience on the island. Chances are the experiences of the prospective traveler (should h/she go to Bonaire) would fall somewhere in the middle.

I am with you 100% on placing high value on incidents that poster has seen/experienced first-hand and distinguishing that info from second- and third-hand accounts. I would also like to add that it's nice to discern whether the OP has any financial interest at all in pushing more dive tourism to Bonaire. This can be as indirect as a poster getting a comp'ed spot on a dive trip because he/she is serving as trip leader for a Bonaire trip sponsored by an LDS. That's why I really appreciated the entire last paragraph of your post. :wink:

One more point that I'd like to make is that when one is planning a trip for a large number of people, often the size of the party dictates where the group will ultimately stay. For instance, from a trip planner perspective, things are just much easier if the group stays at a place like Buddy Dive, where truck rentals, accommodations, and diving is managed through one entity. If you stayed at Buddy Dive on a majority of your Bonaire trips, then I would think that the probability of your truck getting vandalized in the middle of the night is rather low. AFAIK, the trucks are all parked in a gated parking lot where a nearby 24-hr watchman is posted. Smaller groups may end up staying at other places on the island where no such security force (however minimal) exists. Just my thoughts on the issue...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom